Short Review: Sunwayman M11R Ti Dream (XM-L2, (R)CR123, 398 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

Sunwayman recently released a new Limited Edition light, the M11R Ti Dream. The body of the M11R is made of TC4 Grade Titanium alloy, and features 6 bright green tritium tubes.
With the Sunwayman Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, you select the modes.

34gq6v5.jpg

The packaging:

The M11R comes in a nice plastic case, with cut-out foam on the inside. In the case you'll find the light, a manual, warranty card, SWM leaflet, holster, lanyard and o-rings.

33yqgz8.jpg
6ocv0i.jpg

3343s3o.jpg

Specifications and features: (Given by Sunwayman)

1. ● CREE XM-L2 U2 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;
    ● Output and Runtime of four constant output modes (uses one CR123A)
    High: 160 Lumens (1.5hrs) – Mid: 100 Lumens (7.5hrs) Low: - 10 Lumens (168hrs)
    Turbo Mode: 398 Lumens (Automatically go to High mode after 3 minutes lighting)
    Super Low (Firefly mode): 0.5 Lumen (30days)
    Three Flash Modes: Strobe, SOS, Beacon
    ● Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, slightly twist the rotator ring to select from different modes
    ● Constant current circuit, constant output
    ● Effective range of 130 meters
    ● Uses one single CR123A (RCR123A/16340) battery
    ● Working voltage: 0.9~4.2V
    ● High quality metal reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
    ● Dimensions: 75mm (length) x 23.2mm (head diameter)
    ● Weight:71g(battery excluded)
    ● TC4 Grade Titanium alloy
    ● Green Tritium tubes, shining brightly
    ● Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard
    ● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
    ● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
    ● Accessories: Clip, Holster, O-ring, lanyard, titanium clasp

User Interfacace:

Selecting light output-modes is real easy. Just twist the selector-ring clockwise to go Low > Medium > Turbo (light will enter High-mode after 3 minutes)
The M11R also features Strobe, SOS, beacon and a moonlight-mode. Selecting these modes can be tricky. To select Strobe, quickly switch from Turbo>med>Turbo.
To select Moonlight-mode, quickly switch Med>Turbo>Med. Selecting SOS or Beacon is more difficult. SOS: Turbo>Med>Turbo>Med>Turbo. Beacon: Med>Turbo>Med>Turbo>Med.
If you still get it ;) you see it needs some practice to select the SOS or Beacon mode.
The M11R doesn't have a memory since you've to turn-off the light by twisting the selector-ring. Although the light has a moonlight-mode, you still have to enter brighter modes first before to can select moonlight.
Not a preferred way for many, as these brighter modes will disrupt your night-vision.

The Light:

bgp9hl.jpg
332pemg.jpg

11ak8i9.jpg
2v17v2s.jpg

25649df.jpg
4ue62c.jpg

2hh3c42.jpg
m9nal3.jpg

As said, the M11R features six tritium tubes in the head. These 'trits' (Tritium Gas Light Systems) don't need light to charge.
The night-time photo is a comparison with a Luminox 3051. (Photo taken with a Canon EOS 500D - 30sec ISO100 f/11)

2l8yn13.jpg
14ui3gy.jpg

Conclusion:

The M11R is a good looking Limited Edtion light. Sunwayman claims their will only be 300 made. Packaging doesn't include a numbered (XXX/300) certificate and the light isn't marked either.
I would expect that with a light like this. The trits are clear and bright, so you can easily spot the light, when it's dark. The selector-ring turns smoothly although there is some play.
Finishing of the light is of a higher standard then you normally see, on a quantity manufactured-light. The UI is tricky when you've it for the first time, but you'll understand it quite soon.
Since there will be only '300-made', this M11R Ti Dream is a collectors-item for the flashaholics among us :)

2evztcn.jpg

- Sample in this review was bought at Ledscherp -

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Many thanks for the mini review kj2,cracking pics:thumbsup:

For me its the trits,ti and nice compact size form factor that is the selling point.

The UI is not for me ,if it had the v11r control ring :twothumbsthen it would have been a must buy for me. Again with moonlight,having to go through higher modes,just not well thought out and SWM should know(they must know its not ideal) so why have they done this..............

I am ok with the selection of modes on the ring,the almost impossible SOS does not bother me as i dont use it anyway and can be a good thing for some as avoids accidental activation.

I love the look,tempted but for me anyway ,the negs far out way the positives. I would want to edc this light,certainly after the cost i personally dont see the point in buying if not to be used. Being spoiled with the v11r,being able to turn on in any pre set output,completely variable,it feels not a step back but several:(

Obv thats just me:thumbsup: and understand the collection side for some:) its certainly a good looking light:cool:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent pics kj2, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I am currently EDCing my Dream but I am afraid that this will last only until a new light arrives (ETA next Tuesday ...) not because I am afraid to damage it but because I am not totally happy with the levels. Lo is too strong while mid and hi are too similar. :(

ChibiM

Enlightened
Nice light.. wouldnt mind receiving one ;)
Im a Sunwayman fan, but even if I ever get one, I wouldn`t use it.. but just keeping it as a shelf queen

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Lumi 3051BO, and I definitely want trits on my light to be brighter than that. Good choice on SWM's part, T100 tubes, maybe?
I agree on the UI, why not Moon-Low-Med-High. If they come out with a V2 in that UI, I'm in.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just have moon-low-high-turbo?? That way to get to moon is terrible.

It would be enough to have the change lo/moon memorized so that you can make your choice and keep it. My Eagletac D25 does just that, the selection between the two lower levels is kept in the memory.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Does anyone know if you are able to run 14500's in the Dream, using the Ti extension for the V11R? (SWM AP10) I've been looking around, and some sources say it works fine, but there's a "gap" between connections.

Capolini

Banned
Does anyone know if you are able to run 14500's in the Dream, using the Ti extension for the V11R? (SWM AP10) I've been looking around, and some sources say it works fine, but there's a "gap" between connections.

If you could it would look funny because the V11R[I have it w/ ext.] is Black. I could be wrong but I am not aware of any V11R titanium 14500 ext.?

I just got the Dream,,,,,,it has become a reality!!!

Capolini

Banned
Update: Here is what the V11R 14500 Ext. looks like on the M11R Ti!! :)

ALL the modes[blinky included] worked for me w/ the extension. I guess it is a matter of preference. It does not look to bad! I do remember when I tested the V11R with and without ext. I only got 5 more minutes of run time w/ the extension. It was like 15 min. max w/ 16340 and 20 min. max w/ extension for 14500!

I apologize for the blurry pic. At least you get the idea!

This camera has to go! I keep buying flashlights but not a new camera!

001_zpsa27d6928.jpg

Last edited:

ruke

Enlightened
If you could it would look funny because the V11R[I have it w/ ext.] is Black. I could be wrong but I am not aware of any V11R titanium 14500 ext.?

I just got the Dream,,,,,,it has become a reality!!!

strip the ano and polish it, or have vinh do it...

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
The anodized AA extension is part #AP05. They also have one made of titanium, part #AP10, that Fasttech sells for $16.25. This titanium AA extender is different. It has a ~7/8" nut fitting on one end, rather than the round and checkered end on the AP05. I do not know it the threads are the same, either. I will know within a week, however.

P.S. Thanks, Capolini

steeps

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine. The threads don't seam to tighten all the way. When tightened all the way I can still rock the two halves a little bit back and forth. Can you guys confirm that yours is tight? Also, does yours have a notch that the control ring sinks into when off like it does on low or medium, mine does not?

kj2

Flashaholic
I just got mine. The threads don't seam to tighten all the way. When tightened all the way I can still rock the two halves a little bit back and forth. Can you guys confirm that yours is tight? Also, does yours have a notch that the control ring sinks into when off like it does on low or medium, mine does not?

Mine is tight. No play at all. Have notches on mine.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
The ring on mine is sloppy. Disappointing, as my V11R has a nice, smooth "infinite" control ring. Sometimes, I feel the "off" detent, sometimes not. When new, my ring had a very crunchy feel. To smooth it out, I put a couple of drops of oil under the ring. It's getting better with use.
The fit on my light is very nice. Everything fits together very well. No rocking. Vinh mentioned changing out the O rings on these lights, as he felt they weren't correct. But he's a very busy guy... Thank goodness he stands behind his work, because China is a long way off.
Anyway, I see this light as my "Dress" EDC. It is not obnoxiously bright, (Forgive me. I know that there is no such thing as obnoxiously bright, but you know what I mean.) so it doesn't get real hot, real quick.
Also, Vinh Polished mine to a mirror finish. VERY nice results.

ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT THIS LIGHT!: Off-Low-Medium-High. That's it! No strobe, beacon, etc. to accidentally turn on when leaving a dark theatre.

When (if) my AP10 AA extension arrives, I will post comments on fit, etc.

Last edited:

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Update: Here is what the V11R 14500 Ext. looks like on the M11R Ti!! :)

ALL the modes[blinky included] worked for me w/ the extension. I guess it is a matter of preference. It does not look to bad! I do remember when I tested the V11R with and without ext. I only got 5 more minutes of run time w/ the extension. It was like 15 min. max w/ 16340 and 20 min. max w/ extension for 14500!

I apologize for the blurry pic. At least you get the idea!

This camera has to go! I keep buying flashlights but not a new camera!

001_zpsa27d6928.jpg

I finally got my AP10 AA extension from Fastech. It looks like this only it's Ti and has a very nice hexagonal anti-roll nut machined into the end closest to the clip. Plenty of thread-to-thread contact (2 turns on clip end, 1 3/8 turns on trit end). I actually like the extra ~.6" of length for comfortable one hand control.