Need Some Suggestions

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about putting together a maglite hotwire with the Jimmy Regulator. I've got more research to do, and I know I can change the setup whenever I want, but I would like some general opinions about what bulb/battery combination to go with.

I would prefer not to have to use anything longer than a 4D maglite tube, but I will if I'm impressed enough with the performance difference compared to the size trade off.

I want PLENTY of power. Since I'll have lower outputs available I see no point in skimping on max output.

Runtime is not my main concern, but I want it to be at least usable for a decent time period on lower modes. I'm not sure how to figure out how much runtime is gained by adding a cell behind the regulator for a given bulb.

Beam profile is important to me with this. I have plenty of high powered leds that offer good flood or balanced beams. This will be used almost exclusively as a medium to long range flashlight. I want something that will focus fairly tight. I would prefer to get a nice, round hotspot but it doesn't have to be perfect.

I plan on using a fivemega 6.35 (is that right?) socket. I looked at some of the bulbs with this pin spacing and some of them, like the osram 64623, had some impressive specs. Has anyone used a bulb like this? Is there a downside other than the fact that it's hugantic and needs several cells to run?

This may be a little all over the place, but any general suggestions or input will be appreciated.