Mag-Lite 2D LED (Not the 3rd gen) also got an update.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I was in Wally-World, and went to the flashlight section (of course) to see if they had anything new. I noticed the 2D LED on the racks, and something caught my eye.

412 meters. So I looked at the rest of the specs: 168 lumens, 42533cd, 6h45min. The LED is still small, but there is not green. I'm thinking it's an XP-E2, but It's hard to tell though the packaging. That would explain the increased throw. The body still looks like the classic 2D.

The 3D still has the XP-E, but maybe those are old stock.

I find this interesting, as the 3rd Gen (with XM-L2) seems to blow away the regular LED models in every way except throw. I figured the 3rd Gen was going to replace the old one, but it seems like we have a choice between the two. The price was around $35. I didn't buy one because my wife was with me, and it's hard to justify yet another light. :( I may get one on sale later.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting! I have a pile of D cell M*gs modified and stock and this is the first I have heard of this! M*gs own website is horrible about listing new product so no wonder why I dont see this on there. My 2D cell 3rd Gen throws 35000 candela with AR coated glass lens, MAHA Powerex 11000mah Nimh's. My 3 D cell 3rd Gen easily throws 40000 with same said improvements. As long as this new light doesnt have some atrocious beam tint like their Pro series does Ill be pretty happy with one. 168 lumens at 43000cd plus said runtime is pretty impressive to me at least