Malkoff        
Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your little lights!

Honorary Aussie

Default Show off your little lights!

By "little" I mean something smaller than AA format in alkaline or NiMH or smaller than a CR123A in lithium ion.

I have a few AAA lights but most of what I show here is CR2, 14250, 10280, and 10180 size.

Missing in the photo is my Tain Ottavino 10280 which I just bought but hasn't arrived yet in the mail.

All these lights are different. The 3 Muyshondts in the middle that look similar are an Aeon Mark I & II and an Ion. The two lights to the left of the Muyshondts that look similar are a Nitecore Sens Mini and a Nitecore EZ.

Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 03:04 AM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Default Re: Show off your little lights!

Very very nice collection there,i like those a lot

I only have a couple of small lights,both 10180 fed,DQG spy and fairy,spy on keys

For size the brass fairy next to AAA lights

Fairy in the mouth of the mm15vn

Blooming marvellous

Just been to my local electrical wholesaler,wish i had my camera they had a wonderful display of little lights.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Honorary Aussie

Great photos of your lights.

I have a mm15vn too that I recently picked up.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Honorary Aussie

Interesting that a photo shop had such a nice collection. We're they mostly AAAs?
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Just been to my local electrical wholesaler,wish i had my camera they had a wonderful display of little lights.
    Well mr mcnair ,you should have gone to your local camera shop 1st

No edc of phone for camera ?

I look forward to the return banter

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    Great photos of your lights.

I have a mm15vn too that I recently picked up.
    Thank you and yes its a great light the mm15vn,i hope you enjoy it as much as i do,amazing WOW light.

Unfortunately most are either AAA or AA(10440/14500) fed in my collection as an on me edc i prefer(in coat etc),on keys i prefer smaller due to size/weight
    "Just some" of my small shiny lights,but not smaller than AAA

Mr yoyo will be along at some point,and grace us with his family of small lights(dont say collection,its a family)

Here is a pic of the spy and edc knife on keys

Mr. Ven is right. I have to go to a meeting. I'll post my set this afternoon.

Honorary Aussie

Nice set of AAs (which really qualify as "little lights" too).

Yes, I really like my mm15vn. It's a beast.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Honorary Aussie

Thanks. I look forward to it.

Aficianadoes of tiny lights will no doubt note that my collection is missing a few things like a Drake and Draco but I plan on rectifying that soon. :-) Would love to find an Exolion too.

The one light I show that might be unfamiliar for EDC use is the thick barreled black light to the right of the AAAs in the photo. That's because it's a Lumintop X10 CR2 pistol light that I removed from the gun rail mounting clamps and actually works pretty well as an EDC light, except that it's thicker and heavier than most of my CR123A lights because it's built like a tank. But it doesn't have any thermal issues like the MJP Extreme Micro in the photo, which gets pretty hot, which I attribute to all the extra metal.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Sub-AAA lights

DQG Spy and Keys

AAA lights
    Last edited by yoyoman; 10-10-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Hay there mr yoyo,that would be great in the" you know when your a flashaholic..........." thread

Cut meeting short or avoided meeting to post pics of my awesome small family of lights

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Well mr mcnair ,you should have gone to your local camera shop 1st

No edc of phone for camera ?

I look forward to the return banter
    Of course i could have used the camera on my phone if i only knew how it worked.,presume it is very much like a torch stick a battery in and press for on but which pocket would i keep the multi meter in as i am sure the experts will be measuring the batteries before taking a picture.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Of course i could have used the camera on my phone if i only knew how it worked.,presume it is very much like a torch stick a battery in and press for on but which pocket would i keep the multi meter in as i am sure the experts will be measuring the batteries before taking a picture.

like it!!!

I dont have enough room for a MM with my 5 edcs

Honorary Aussie

Awesome collection of sub AAA and AAA lights!

Your photo reminded me that I need to get a DQG Spy.

Also what are the two little copper lights?

I'm still learning the ropes on these tiny lights. There's more there than meets the eye. :-)

Fans of little lights will no doubt recall this thread which I found very enlightening:

http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Revi...0AAA%20UK.html
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.

The 2 little lights were from a run by a guy from a German light forum. He started with the Lumentop copper Worm and several of us convinced him to do a run for Maratac AAA lights. They are sweet.

Honorary Aussie

Ahhh. No wonder I didnt recognize it. Sweet.

I recently bought the regular AAA Maratac copper. Nice little light but I encountered a funny problem. It will accommodate my Duracell Coppertop alkaline batteries but my Tenergy and Sanyo Eneloop NiMH are too fat by a fraction of a millimeter. Weird.

But we're probably talking about 1/10th of a millimeter if that. Is it possible that NiMH rechargeables are just slightly bigger and I never knew about it until now? But none of my other AAA lights have this problem. I'm thinking of bringing this up on the battery forum.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 01:01 PM.

This is one area I could definitely improve in. I have some single AAA lights (the Fenix is for size reference in this picture) but when it comes to really tiny lights, my collection is quite meager, and a bit "I found it at the gas station for $1"-heavy I put the rubber cover on the Led Lenser to make it more toothfriendly, but after reading about what happened to a fellow countrywoman (she accidentally swallowed a fork) I'm very reluctant to hold a small light between my teeth.

Most of these lights are downright adorable.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Since most of them run on 10180 li-ions, I consider them little beasts.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Since most of them run on 10180 li-ions, I consider them little beasts.
    I love my little 10180 lights. They are truly little powerhouses. Is there a tinier light that works as hard ounce for ounce, or maybe rather gram for gram in terms of light output for its size? :-) in fact I bought three of the little USB chargers so I have one for the car, one at home, and one for my office. Sometimes I carry one in my pocket which I charge off of a small USB battery bank. These being diminutive lithium cobalt and not lithium manganese batteries hopefully one will never blow up in my pocket during recharge.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-10-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    This is one area I could definitely improve in. I have some single AAA lights (the Fenix is for size reference in this picture) but when it comes to really tiny lights, my collection is quite meager, and a bit "I found it at the gas station for $1"-heavy I put the rubber cover on the Led Lenser to make it more toothfriendly, but after reading about what happened to a fellow countrywoman (she accidentally swallowed a fork) I'm very reluctant to hold a small light between my teeth.

Ha ha. The Grundig looks like a little beer keg. :-)

I have a few 1/3 AAA size NiMH cells. Less output but more runtime and I guess a little safer. Most of the lights that use 10180 cells don't have low voltage warning or cut off. You need to notice that they are getting dimmer, which is tricky with QTC. On the other hand, I regularly check the cell's voltage with a meter, top off the charge with a good quality charger, keep track of how long I run them and I've never had a problem. They are very useful lights and impress people.

Honorary Aussie

That's great battery discipline you're doing there. I should check the voltage more often too.

Good point about the cutoff problem. I try to pay attention to any dimming but with the naked eye it's not foolproof.

So what I do is to basically recharge every few days even if I don't use the light that much. I have lots of these Mophie 6000 mAh USB power banks around the house and there's usually one nearby to plug in the little charger. Since lithium ions don't have a memory problem like NiMH that doesn't pose a problem. But I've read that keeping lithium ions always in a high state of charge could be an issue. So maybe I've just traded one risk for another.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-11-2014 at 05:15 PM.

I've also read that you shouldn't store li-ions fully charged. I believe that applies to long term storage. But no problem keeping the cells that get used fully charged.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    I've also read that you shouldn't store li-ions fully charged. I believe that applies to long term storage. But no problem keeping the cells that get used fully charged.
    Okay, I read something similar come to think of it. It also said manufacturers preferred to ship cells at about 2/3 of full charge, probably related to just sitting in storage or on the shelf like you said.

Honorary Aussie

I just got my Tain Ottavino in the mail. Awesome little light. Didn't expect the high mode to be so bright. It's brighter than my Olight i3 EOS AAA light, and even brighter than the Steve Ku. This is my second 10280 light after the Steve Ku 44DD titanium. I'll post a photo of it later.
    Last edited by magellan; 10-12-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    I just got my Tain Ottavino in the mail. Awesome little light. Didn't expect the high mode to be so bright. It's brighter than my Olight i3 EOS AAA light, and even brighter than the Steve Ku. This is my second 10280 light after the Steve Ku 44DD titanium. I'll post a photo of it later.
    Awesome,congrats, look forward to the pics

Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast