roguesw

Enlightened
Hi guys, just got a kl4 with the tadgear tail pack,
can i run 2 AA's to powerup the kl4?
cheers
Des

HunterSon

Enlightened
Yes you can, it will run much like the E1e with the KL4 head. I have tried it and it works fine. The o-ring on the long tailpacks is a little thicker than the surefire ones so the head maybe hard to twist into the on position.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I have never been able to run the KL4 on two AA NiMH batteries. I have tried it with both the HA and brass UBH. I have also tried it with the HA and brass 123 extenders on the L4 body.
oldgrandpajack

I have used the KL4 with three AA NiMH batteries successfully.

oldgrandpajack

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think you can quite do it with 2xNiMH. 3 volts seems to be about the minimum. Two alkalines will run it for a while. Two L91 lithiums would work better, but they're so expensive that you're better off using the L4 body and two 123's.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Just tried it with two AA alkaline batteries and it didn't work. They are a little old (2009 expiration date) though and may not be at their peak. I wonder if the AA alkaline batteries are capable of supplying the miliamps required by the KL4?
oldgrandpajack

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine works with 2 alkaline AA, but is not as bright as w/1x123 for whatever reason...

paulr

Flashaholic
Would one of you guys mind measuring the overall length of the 3x123+KL4, or better yet the 3x123+KL1? Or if not an actual measurement, can you hold it next to a stock Minimag and tell me which one is longer and by how much? Thanks.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,
E1e+2 extensions w/KL1=6.5" OAL
E2e+1 extension w/KL1=6 3/8" OAL
My KL1 and KL4 are almost identical in length (KL4-1.415/KL1-1.411).
I don't have a 3x123 power pack.
Stock miniMag 5.68" with the bezel screwed all the way down. 5.87" w/Kroll clickie.

btw, I said my KL1 wasn't as bright with 2AA as it is w/1x123, but I just tried it configured both ways again, and can't tell the difference. Forgot I had been using up some old AAs in it, before...

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KL4 works fine with two AA alkalines. About as bright as a single 123 but has longer runtime than a single 123.

roguesw

Enlightened
hi guys,
just tried it with some regular alkalines, very dim, about what i expected, didnt run it off lithium AA's but probably not worth my while, just ran it off AA's for now cos i have a ton of those lying around, i am using really low quality AA's, began to dim almost from the start
yeah, the head will be complementing my regular mclux,but i dont feel guilty using up AA's compared to lithium,
now to just save up for some pilas', then it will truly be guilt free lumens
thanks for all the posts
cheers
des

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HunterSon said:
Mine must have had a pretty low Vf led because it ran pretty good on 2XAAs. Luck of the draw I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

My KL4 doesn't even flicker with two AA alkalines or NiMH batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
oldgrandpajack

kubolaw

Enlightened
I don't have a 2AA extender, but both my KL4s run reasonably well on two 2/3A nimh batteries (1100 mAh). Good brightness for about 15 minutes, and then the output starts dropping quickly, falling to about the level of an Arc AAA at 45 minutes. From this, I would expect decent performance with those heads from two high capacity nimh AAs and maybe from regular alkalines. Of course, as indicated by oldgrandpajack, the particular characteristics of the LED in the KL4 can make a big difference.

John