SF E1e No One's Favorite?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF E1e No One\'s Favorite?

I note that when favorite lights are discussed no one seems to pick the Surefire E1e as his favorite. Even though there are brighter lights the small size of the E1e and its brightness should make it someone's favorite.

I believe it is the smallest relatively powerful light made, and they are on sale for something on the order of $48 at productwizard.

It would seem that it would make a EDC light.

Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: SF E1e No One\'s Favorite?

LED lights are brighter and whiter now. That's why.
The E1e body is quite useful though, think KL1, KL4, KL4 mod, etc.
bernhard

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are the LEDs brighter than the E1? Also, they add, I think, $40 -50 to the cost of the light don't they?

After you add the KL mods are the lights longer than the basic E1?

Jerry

Kiessling

Flashaholic

the E1e puts out about 16lm I think, whereas an Arc LS is at about 20+, the stock KL1 about 16-18 and the mods a lot brighter, depending on what you have. They're also whiter.
Cost ... ahem ... yes, this is a factor. But do not worry Jerry, if you stay here a little longer you'll forget the cost-issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The KL1 and KL4 do add a little bit to the length, but really not that much. Al (Size15s) can provide any pic for size comparison of those combos if you'd like to contact him.
bernhard

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I am determined not to spend a lot more money on flashlights, but I might weaken. I have already done that several times lately.
Jerry

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I have to say that the E1E is a great little light. I always have an ARC LS on my key chain and often carry the E1E in my shirt pocket for throw.
oldgrandpajack

Sharp

Enlightened

I got an E1e for Christmas and immediately tested it with both stock head and KL1. I simply can't help but refuse the KL1. Just too used to it and can't have it around anymore. I tested it with a KL4 but it was part of another light so I can't keep it on there. Anyway, didn't like the light output. I thought it was rather unused at half brightness (the KL4 I mean) while I could drive it at normal power with the L4.
Yes, its incandescent head is pretty cool and powerful considering size but, as Bernhard told you already, an ARC LS gives out more light.
So now, my E1e is in its box in a drawer waiting for I don't know what.

Richard

Kiessling

Flashaholic

If you want to go the easy way, find out yourself. Get the E1e and later buy the stock KL1 to be able to judge LED lights. Then you might opt for further upgrades when you know more what you really want. Don't rush things.

A note: know that the SF E-series can be combined with the McLux light parts (a CPF custom light), the UBH (universal battery holder, CPF custom) and partly the Arc lights for a great modular platform. I am a big fan of this evolving concept, the variations are endless, and your E1e power pack would not be useless.
look here for more info:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=384128&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

faa713f0.jpg

modularity concept

fab9882c.jpg

two SF E1 bodies with KL4 heads on the left, then a black E1 with McLux-PR 5W head, then a Baby Pin, and to the right the Arc LS with a twisty switch

know also that the pure LED alternative to the E1e would be the famous Arc LS light, a great light. It can be had for under $100 if you look around and / or watch B/S/T.

fab988b4.jpg

the Arc LS with twisty pack

for further questions, feel free to ask!

bernhard

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's too bad I can't afford all those lights, but if anyone wants to send me one of the mods, for life, I'll screw it on and brag on it for a long time. I'll also give full credit to whoever gives me one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll even buy the E1e myself to use the mod.

Jerry

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Jerry, those mods are not necessarily expensive!
Depends on what you want, of course, but often a simple swap of the LS emitter and a little tweaking of the existing driver will be sufficient, and, in additin to that, our modders do not charge excessive rates. In fact, they are sometimes too reasonable if you consider the work and time it takes to do this stuff.
If you are interested in a modified KL1 contact Chop or CM, they have done quite a lot of those! Or watch Modders B/S/T, those modified KL1 heads show up from time to time.
bernhard

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I EDC the E1e with KL1, and find that its good enough for its size. Brightness-wise, its bright enough for the 'wow factor', and usage-wise, more than sufficient for most general purposes. If you can pick it up for $48, I'd think that its a great buy! Use it with the stock LA, then save up for a couple of months and go for the KL1. The good thing is, if you buy an E2 (E2e) you can use the KL1 with it as well, so its definitely a good 'investment' (flashaholic's term for "1 more for the collection").

I've also read that you can use the Scorpion with the KL1 altho the description given by a CPFer of the end result was 'less than aesthatically (sp?) pleasing'... go figure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great photos and information, Bernhard.

I am just getting started in the E series with an E2e and a McLux PR 917 and your photos show some of the possibilities.

I'm really looking forward to my Super Baby Pin also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
Are the LEDs brighter than the E1? Also, they add, I think, $40 -50 to the cost of the light don't they?

After you add the KL mods are the lights longer than the basic E1?

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry, I bought an E1E that Lambda, another CPFer, had converted into an LED light. It basically provides the same light output as a KL1, but it's in the more compact E1E head.

All, the above light remains my BEST walk through unfamiliar woods light! The beam throws far enough for comfort and give plenty of sidespill to see protruding branches, snakes ready to strike, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The low dome emitters really get a bad rap around here, but they still do a great job for this type of usage, as long as you can forgive the whitish-purple beam color.

Hmm... I'm no physicist, but blue and purple being at the high energy end of the visible light spectrum, maybe they "penetrate" air, fog, etc., a little better?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just wondering where the E1e stands compared to a 2D maglight?

I think I like the E1e not for what it is but what it can be.

JerryM

You need to find a KL4 head on B/S/T!

If I remember correctly you said your son had bought you an E2e. With the KL4 head you can effectively make a L4 and a TW4 (E1e&KL4).

Alot of people really like the TW4, if you don't, try putting it on the E2e for an L4.

GregR

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am wondering if the conversion is simply unscrewing the E2 or E1 head and screwing on the KL4 head.

Also, I have on order Streamlight TT1L and TT2L. How do those lights compare with the E bodies and the KL4 head?

I have a PM6, which I like. I have not noticed the stiff switch. Maybe they have improved that since the reviews I had previously seen.

I'm trying to find the IDEAL light in terms of size, brightness, and battery life. I know that such probably does not exist, but I can try can't I?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I am enjoying the forum, and have noticed that CPF is the first forum I visit. Now what is going on in my head??

Maybe I will look for a KL4 head. WHAT AM I DOING?

Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Noting the cost of the KL4, how does its brightness compare with the stock E1e? Also I think I have seen that there is a KL1 head. What conversion would improve on the stock E1e?

I read units of lumens, CP, and Lux, but in the end unless the lights are compared with the same units of measurements I don't have a clue as to which is the brightest.

I assume that none of the LEDs is as bright as the E2e. Is this correct?

Jerry

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

JerryM

The KL4 blows the KL1 out of the water.

Yes, it is as simple as unscrewing the E1e's head and screwing on the KL4.

This combo E1e body and KL4 head is shocking, it puts out alot of light!

I believe the L4 is equal to the E2e. The difference being the E2e has more throw, whereas the L4 (E2e w/KL4) has more flood.

This is why I like the Surefire E series there are lots of mix and match combinations.

GregR

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes JerryM, unscrew the stock head, screw on the KL4 head/ That easy.

The TT's are nice lights, I have one (1L) so does my parents, they each one one. IT is a bit heavy headed but a fine lightl, a little too wide for EDC for me. The SF E2e is my EDC.

In terms of LED's, I don't have much experience in them, buit I saw an L4 in the NYC GT and it made the TL, my SF E2e look yellow....

My E2e will out throw the L4, most incandescents will out throw LED's, but LED's are great for most every day tasks, and LED's never blow out like bulbs.

LED's provide a wall of light, L4 being that wall of light.

The PK1 will out throw a lot of regular LED's though....but $1725 on a light....

Jason

PS welcome to CPF!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
I assume that none of the LEDs is as bright as the E2e. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

The KL4/L4 put out the same total amount of light as the E2e however, the E2e has a much more concentrated beam of light. The KL4/L4 puts out a nice flood beam.