********** Question about trits in new Sunwayman M11R Ti Dream **********

PAPAJOHN

Newly Enlightened
Can some one tell me what one should expect as for life span of trits in the New Sunwayman M11R Ti Dream ? THANKS................

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium has a half life of just over 12 years, so in 12.3 years your trits should be half as bright. That's probably being optimistic however. Tritium emits a low energy beta particle (electron). You get the light
when the electroni slams into the phosphor material. The chemical bond energies are on the order 1 electron volt, so it shouldn't be surprising that if you hit one with a 20,000 ev electron, the bond may
be broken. This is a complicated way of explaining that the phosphors that convert the beta particles to light also have a finite life, and in my experience, it is shorter than the Tritium half life. I have a Trit on my Keychain purchased in 1999. For all practical purposes it no longer emits any light. You cannot even see it in the dark. If the Tritium half life was the only issue, it sould be down to about 40% brightness now. It is really far far less than that. YMMV