Looking for Mod to replace Trustfire TR-J18

adras

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

As this is one of my first posts, let me introduce myself a little bit. It's now over a year ago that I bought myself a Trustfire TR-J18. It was really cheap, and the build quality is enough in my eyes. It was my first LED flashlight and I was impressed by the amount of light this thing had. I only had a Maglite non LED before. Anyway, as too much is still not enough for me :D, I decided to put a new kaidomain driver into it to get even more light. And in the end it was even brighter :)

I've been always a fan of the zoomable Maglites, but the only lights I fiound only have a single LED. But I thought, hey, why not tune a small flashlight, in case you ever need something more convenient. So I bought a few cheap chinese lights, put some new drivers into them, and replaced the LEDs.

A few days ago I looked at Skyray King and Kung and thought about modding one of those. But I thought, why should I mod a 4 LED flashlight, when I could theoretically get a lot more output from a modded let's say 12+ LED flashlight. It also appears like that Led Lenser X21R2 is the only multi LED flashlight which is zoomable. Because all I want is light and build quality is not that important to me, that light is way too expensive.

Searching a platform for my new modding project ended with: Trustfire TR-J20 (12xT6), Trustfire AK-90(12xT6) and Trustfire AK-91(15xT6). All of them have a big heatsink I guess so there should be some potential. The TR-J20 can take 32650 batteries which sounds interesting, but I didn't find them anywhere, I'm only using LiMnCoO batteries. So that one's already out of discussion.

The questions are now:
  • Which light should I choose? AK-90 or AK91?
  • Is there even a better option to get a massive light output without machining anything? Maybe even zoomable? ;) I have to admit that the quality of the spot is not that important, as long as it's blindingly bright
  • Which LEDs should I take, I thought about XM L2 U2
  • What about the driver? I haven't found a kaidomain driver for that amount of LEDs. So I thought about making my own? I saw something about AMC 7135 which can handle 350mA and is just used 10 times together with some other controller. That sounds quite good, is there a good tutorial somewhere?

I hope you guys can help an addicted flashaholic gain some modding experience :)

I really appreciate your answers.

Greetings from Germany,

AdrAs

P.S. Ideally I want to spoil the next lunar eclipse by making the moon just as bright as it's usually :D

Last edited:

Jesse Hsu

Newly Enlightened
If i were you,i'd like to choose TrustFire J20,cause AK-90,AK-91 are not reliable,easy to broke.
About the zoomable flashlight,you can try TrustFire Z5 or TrustFire Z6.

BTW,you can add my Skype:trustfire011
Then we can talk about them.