XP L info

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, i fancy an emitter swap in one of my lights, i was just wondering what sort of gains i will get over a XPG2 or XML2 ? brightness increases and beam profiles ?
once i know this info i can choose which light will get the chop :)
thanks
Ant

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i was thinking a straight swap in my olight m20s L2 but it looks i wont gain anything in brightness - possibly loose some ? so it depends on the beam profile difference between xml2 and xpl. if anyone can shed some light on this ? i may do it just to see on the olight?
i also have a thrunite scorpion V2 which is awesome bright with a real nice tint so i am not sure i want to mess with this untill i know exactly what might happen.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
My experience with the XPL is pretty limited but I have used 4 or 5 in various builds. In a large reflector (35mm), designed for an XML (8mm) sized die, the result was pretty decent beam profile. A nice mix of throw Vs spill. Excellent hot spot, well defined. With a 25mm P60 XPG sized reflector (5mm die) the XPL is more like a XML in beam profile BUT only at lower drive levels. Previously I had not been impressed enough with the XPL to use it in a traditional build and assumed that a XPG was more than enough for use with common Nanjg drivers but on my last P60 build with a XPL I decided to use the IS Nanjg 105c and I can say that being pused at 3 amps made all the difference. On high the XPL really comes to life. So much so that I have some of the FT V10 drivers on the way to try the XPL at 4 and 5 amps. Should be interesting if nothing else.

But when it comes to modifying a surefire head with the TIR lens its tough to beat a XPL. An XML does very well too but with the tall unique shaped XPL lens they have an edge on any other LED in my build experience. However you mileage may vary and its just my opinion.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi m4a1usr thanks for that info ! interesting what you say about the xpl in the 35mm reflector, i have a olight m22 xm l2 could be a good swap in that then :)
might increase the throw ?