Fenix PD 35 Tint

geal

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! First post here. Honestly the reason for my joining and for this post is a general question about the tint of your Fenix PD35's 850 lumen lights. I bought 4 of these lights as my first foray into new age led lights. Two were given as gifts and two I kept. I liked them so much that soon thereafter I also purchased a TK75 and a PD22 (both of which I love). All of the PD 35's I purchased had a colder tint which coincided with what I have read about this light. Recently I purchased another PD35 online for my brother and in checking it out I noticed that in comparison to the other 4 lights (all of which I compared and we're consistently cool) it was much warmer. The light was comparable to my TK75 which is a very warmly tinted light. I subsequently purchased a second PD35 from the same source and to my delight the tint was the same! I now have a third inbound. Finding a warmer tinted 35 was Like finding gold to me and getting a second was equally amazing. Just wondering who else has a warmly tinted 850 lumen PD-35 and if you consider this an anomoly. I know that pics are king and this post suffers without them but all I have is crappy cell camera. I will try to post at least one halfway decent beam comparison shots though.

Thanks for any input.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not an anomaly. Ive got 2 of the 850 lumen PD35's and the new 2014 edition as well. The tint of both the older 850 lumen lights is much warmer and oddly seem brighter to me than the new 960 lumen edition which I found to be disappointing. The new 2014 tint is pretty cold a real turn off. The big full hotspot of the older lights is just not there with the new edition. I dont know how Fenix picked their tints but they got a home run with the older light the new PD35 just doesnt seem to have the beam the old one did.

Zanders

Newly Enlightened
My PD35 850 lumens have a I would say neutral tint, not on the cold side. Hope my new ordered ZL Sc62w have something like this, maybe a tad warmer.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Not an anomaly. Ive got 2 of the 850 lumen PD35's and the new 2014 edition as well. The tint of both the older 850 lumen lights is much warmer and oddly seem brighter to me than the new 960 lumen edition which I found to be disappointing. The new 2014 tint is pretty cold a real turn off. The big full hotspot of the older lights is just not there with the new edition. I dont know how Fenix picked their tints but they got a home run with the older light the new PD35 just doesnt seem to have the beam the old one did.
The older 850 lumen (900 if you use 2xcr123) is actually brighter than the new 960 when they tested in an integrating sphere. My "850" is on the warm side as well (they call it neutral).

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very common to get a slight variance in tint with the same light when you buy more than one such that you can compare them to each other. Whenever I buy multiples where I'm going to gift something, I always select the one I like the best for myself.

I had to buy another Sunwayman V11R because my first one was way too cold. The next one I bought wasn't and so I sold the first one. Most people won't care or notice a difference unless they had something to compare against and besides they just go for lumens. That's why the cool whites far outsell the neutrals.

Some times its a crap shot. But for the most part I haven't been too disappointed. I just can't stand the ones that are too green or too blue. I like just plain ole white-white. I'd say both of my Fenix PD35's are just white, not necessarily neutral but not with too much "cool" in them. I'm satisfied.

I was also going to say that when the new 2014 edition PD35 came out, I was not enticed to have to get that over my existing 850 lumen version. Since both had the same LED, I just figured that what Fenix did was up the drive on max. I don't use that mode very much anyhow and so it didn't matter to me. My bet is the other modes have the same run time and efficiency in both models. And of all my lights that utilize an XM-L2 where they say there output is around 900 lumens, well, I can't tell the difference in brightness between them. I have to put it in my light box to measure it to know the difference.

geal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for th replies. I guess maybe my first four were the anomalies. The reason I thought the cooler tint was the norm was that I had heard about and seen comparisons to the 32 UE which is supposedly much warmer. My more rcently acquired 35's resemble more closely what I have seen of the 32 UE with a very light yellow center and a creamy white flood. The color saturation is very good and seemingly accurate whereas the cooler 35's washed out a lot of color. I know one thing, I'll not be trading in my 850 for a 960!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the 850's tested out to be 960 lumens?! Out the front or just LED lumens? No wonder it's been my go to EDC and "wow em" bright light for a good while now. Nobody still can believe how bright my 2 850's are. Tested both my 850's against my 960 again and can say for sure that both 850's are noticeably brighter than my 960. The tint on both 850's may not be 4-5500k warm neutral but are both still very much warmer than the 950. As I have said the hotspot on my 960 blows. It has a clear center that fades into the outer hot spot I have never seen this before on any of my dozens of lights save for old M*gs. The beam on both my 850's have big, full and extremely bright hot spots with loads of bright spill. Would love to do a tear down to find what the difference actually is.

Most glorious warm neutral tint that is extremely bright as well is my new EagleTac G25C2 Mark II. You want to seem warm and creamy LED goodness check that one out.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometimes you just get lucky and find a good batch ! my pd35 (850) is 'normal' snow white not warm or cold. good on you for buying another from the same batch when you could !

i still think i was very lucky with my thrunite scorpion V2 as everytime i use it, it still wows me despite the test figures against my newer lights :)