Newbie here with first good light

dylan

Newly Enlightened
Now,I've always understood and been into the knife craze, but the flash light thing just never made sense to me. I thought you guys were nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Well, I finally got me a decent and fairly cheap light this X mas, an Inova X5. Now I see reason for being infatuated with them, they're damn cool! I really like my light. It does a good job of lighting up a room and is pretty effective when shined in the eyes up close. Since I'm a noob, I think it's a VERY bright light. But, in fact, it may be down right weak compared to others. How is the X5 compared to the Surefire E series and the L-4? Also, the beam doesn't go very far and spreads out a LOT over distance. It is a floodlight, afterall. I'd like something that keeps a fairly tight beam over distance and is effective over a distance, 50-60 feet maybe. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, I could not find a Lumens rating for the X5, anyone know it? And is there a conversion factor for candlepower to lumens? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The L4 is about ten times as bright as the X5. You pay for it in battery consumption: the L4 will wipe out a pair of 123's in about one hour. The X5 and L4 both spread somewhat more than the E series. If you want a tight beam in a LED light, try an L5, which is a somewhat bigger light than an L4 but has much longer range.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi dylan, welcome... and you're gonna be in trouble! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif If you think the X5 is cool, wait till you get your hands on other lights like the Arc LS, E1e/E2e/KL4, SL TLs & TTs, just to name a few... All the lights mentioned + some that I missed out are 'cool' in their own way. It never fails to amaze me how impressive each light is until I get it... thats why I'm still stuck with all my lights, none of them ever get sold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For throw, maybe a G2 would be a good, cheaper alternative, else the E2e for size. There's endless other lights that'll fit that category, so you'll have to be more specific, else you'll just have to buy em all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Well, congrats on your new X5, I'm sure you'll say the exact same words again from now on when you get another light...

dylan

Newly Enlightened
Ten times as bright? Wow.

I'll try and be more specific. I'd like something that will fit in your jeans pocket and be fairly comfortable. I don't mind if it's an LED or not, I'd just like for it to be bright. Also, I'd like something that won't spread a lot over distacne and something that has good range, somewhere around 50-60 ft like I stated earlier. The light will go with me in the truck and will be next to my bed at night. I'm open to several suggestions. I'm also curious about the X1? I know it's not as bright as others but it's cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I've heard that it has a tight beam (some have said too tight), is it effective over distance?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
X1 is too small for distance, as its only a 1xAAA light. The spot over distance may not give you enough light to see the object.

My suggestions... G2, SL TaskLight 2L or 3L, PT Surge (8xAA batts), there's more that haven't come to mind yet...

Leds will not be able to give you enough throw for that far a distance, but keep an eye out for the new Pelican M6 LED, or maybe even a SF L5 or L6 could very well fit the bill. Just do a search here for the L5 or L6 and I'm sure you'll see many favourable reviews...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dylan,

You're most welcome! Anything to help get (drag) others into this nasty (expensive) hobby...

If you're looking at the P-M6 (both Led or Incan), check out Kevin's (batterystation) CPF specials page @ www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm . Kevin's a great guy to deal with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Let us know your reviews of the light(s) that you end up getting yea?