Can't program H2 and M2 on Zebralight SC52 L2 -- Faulty Light?

novaseeker

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've just received my SC52CW L2 and read the instructions very carefully as well as done a thorough search on the forum but still have a problem programming my SC52 for M2 and H2 levels. The L2 was programmed easily after double clicking 6 times and then from the 7th double click, the light rotates through 3 brightness levels to be set for L2. However, after the 6th double click for both M2 and H2, the light just continues to alternate between 2 brightness levels (which seems like the default M1 and M2 for Medium and H1 and H2 for High). What am I doing wrong? How many brightness levels are available for M2 and H2?

Put differently ,when I try programming M2 and H2, I double click 6 times (after going to M or H mode). However, the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th double clicks do nothing but to alternate between what seems to be M1/M2 and H1/H2. The light just behaves the same as it does during the initial 6 double clicks.

Do I have a faulty light and is there any way to make sure?

Thanks.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend testing by setting M2 to the brighter of the offered levels. Then switch between M1 and M2 to see if M1 brighter. Same thing for H1 and H2.

If you can get your light to a state where M1/M2 or H1/H2 have no visible difference, then I'd say something's wrong.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a light meter, it would be easy to verify the differences in light output. You could probably use the meter in a digital camera too, by just pointing it at a white wall and seeing what settings the camera uses for each level.

Enlightened
Hi, I've just received my SC52CW L2 and read the instructions very carefully as well as done a thorough search on the forum but still have a problem programming my SC52 for M2 and H2 levels. The L2 was programmed easily after double clicking 6 times and then from the 7th double click, the light rotates through 3 brightness levels to be set for L2. However, after the 6th double click for both M2 and H2, the light just continues to alternate between 2 brightness levels (which seems like the default M1 and M2 for Medium and H1 and H2 for High). What am I doing wrong? How many brightness levels are available for M2 and H2? Put differently ,when I try programming M2 and H2, I double click 6 times (after going to M or H mode). However, the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th double clicks do nothing but to alternate between what seems to be M1/M2 and H1/H2. The light just behaves the same as it does during the initial 6 double clicks. Do I have a faulty light and is there any way to make sure? Thanks.
Are you using alkaline or Nimh batteries?

novaseeker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies!

I'd recommend testing by setting M2 to the brighter of the offered levels. Then switch between M1 and M2 to see if M1 brighter. Same thing for H1 and H2.

If you can get your light to a state where M1/M2 or H1/H2 have no visible difference, then I'd say something's wrong.

I did as you described and there is a difference between the brighter of the offered levels for M2 and H2 and M1 and H1. Could you clarify just how many levels are offered for M2 and H2? I know that L2 has 3 brightness levels offered but it seems that M2 and H2 only have 2 levels each for the user to choose from. I'm hoping that I might find some confirmation about the number of brightness levels offered in L2, M2 and H2.

Something else which is unclear to me: After the 6th double click, the light should enter programming mode. Is there any indication that the light is in programming mode?

If you have a light meter, it would be easy to verify the differences in light output. You could probably use the meter in a digital camera too, by just pointing it at a white wall and seeing what settings the camera uses for each level.

I don't have a light meter but the white wall trick was fine!

Are you using alkaline or Nimh batteries?

I'm using Sanyo Eneloops.

Thanks!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only 2 programmable outputs for M2 and H2. There is no indication as far as I know that tell you are in programming mode, I think you might be having troubles telling the difference between h1/m1 and h2/m2 alternating in those first 6 sets of double clicks and then without warning it alternates between the 2 programmable levels.

Try programming M2, count your double clicks and put it on the lower output and turn it off. Compare M1 to M2, try to shine them around and get a good idea how much brighter M1 is. Repeat again, this time put it on the higher output and turn it off and compare. Hopefully this will show a noticeable difference.

novaseeker

Newly Enlightened
There are only 2 programmable outputs for M2 and H2. There is no indication as far as I know that tell you are in programming mode, I think you might be having troubles telling the difference between h1/m1 and h2/m2 alternating in those first 6 sets of double clicks and then without warning it alternates between the 2 programmable levels.

Try programming M2, count your double clicks and put it on the lower output and turn it off. Compare M1 to M2, try to shine them around and get a good idea how much brighter M1 is. Repeat again, this time put it on the higher output and turn it off and compare. Hopefully this will show a noticeable difference.

You've described my problem exactly. To me, the difference between H1/H2 throughout the first 6 sets of double clicks is quite indistinguishable to the difference between H2a/H2b (a and b denoting the two H2 brightness options). I can't really tell whether the light has transitioned into programming mode after the 6 sets of double clicks or still alternating between H1/H2. The same goes for the M level.

I shall try your suggestion and I think it would work.

Thanks for the helpful reply!

funkychateau

Enlightened
You've described my problem exactly. To me, the difference between H1/H2 throughout the first 6 sets of double clicks is quite indistinguishable to the difference between H2a/H2b (a and b denoting the two H2 brightness options). I can't really tell whether the light has transitioned into programming mode after the 6 sets of double clicks or still alternating between H1/H2. The same goes for the M level.

I don't know why this sequence is described as "six double clicks". It's TWELVE CLICKS. If you think of it as click-click-pause, click-click-pause, you are more likely to let too much time elapse during the pauses. This means you will fail to achieve programming mode.

Once I started just counting click, click, click, ..... , twelve rapid clicks, I had no more problems with entering programming mode.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're welcome, let me know if that helps.

I don't know why this sequence is described as "six double click TWELVE CLICKS. If you think of it as click-click-pause, click-click-pause, you are more likely to le time elapse during the pauses. This means you will fail to achieve programming mode. Once I started just counting click, click, click, ..... , twelve rapid clicks, I had no more problems w programming mode.

My guess would be that it might be easier to count 6 visible mode changes (done with double clicks) than 12 rapid clicks? I don't know honestly, I never had any troubles with the 6 double click method, bbut I'll have to try your 12 rapid click method to see if that's easier for me or not.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
You're welcome, let me know if that helps.

My guess would be that it might be easier to count 6 visible mode changes (done with double clicks) than 12 rapid clicks? I don't know honestly, I never had any troubles with the 6 double click method, bbut I'll have to try your 12 rapid click method to see if that's easier for me or not.

Just wanted to chime in here....

I got a Zebralight SC52 L2 a few weeks ago, and I cannot program anything in H or M modes. Nothing. As far as programming anything in the L modes, easy as pie. I can program them all day long.

Just wanted to let you know, that you are not alone.