Anyone get a new 3rd generation maglite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

american

Enlightened
2d or 3d? How's it compare to the normal 2d led and the pro and Malkoff powered mags?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
2d or 3d? How's it compare to the normal 2d led and the pro and Malkoff powered mags?

I bought a Red coloured 3 x D Cell 3rd Generation Maglite and I have to say it is a pretty good unit with all of the added configurabilty.

Good thrower with reasonable spill.

Turning the head actually makes the inner centre beam bigger or smaller and leaves the outer spill alone as it is.

At 625 lumens it is far better than any of the older Maglites.

CHEERS

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both the 3rd Gen 2 D and 3rd Gen 3 D. Added AR coated glass lenses to them both and use 11000mah Powerex Nimh D cells for best result. Both these things blast just about every Mag that has come before them they are that good and such a major step up for Mag technology wise. There was some confusion as to what emitter they use but I have learned it is indeed an XM-L2 on both. The 2D has max runtime at 524 lumens of over 5 hours which is ridiculously good. All other lower modes have equally as impressive amounts of runtime as well.

They both throw like crazy and have very nice, very large beams. The new switch is a godsend vs the old one. The new focusing system is eons beyond the old one and it actually works with just a max 1/4 turn! The 3 D 3rd Gen has a max output of SIXTEEN HOURS at 625 lumens!! That is unheard of yet Mag made it work! Neither of my 3rd Gens have yet to even get hot after being left on full blast for hours at a time.

Lastly, 50 bucks???!! That is all either of these super Mags cost??!! Add a glare coated glass lens and the beam becomes even stronger, cleaner and clearer. The 11000mah Powerex D cells I have in both drive the new Mags to the max and they have both been framing hammer dependable. You can not go wrong with either one both are plenty bright and both push 40000cd easily run time on quality nimh's can be nearly a couple of weeks on the lowest settings and up to 15 times as long on their highest output settings as any competition that I know of.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see that Mag is finally stepping into the modern age with their LED lights.

TRW3

Newly Enlightened
That's it??! Nobody else going to respond? this is the best news yet for Maglite and FINALLY STEPPIN UP TO THE PLATE. Well done

Status
Not open for further replies.