A few Streamlight questions.....

prof student

Enlightened
I have a few Streamlight incandescent flashlights that I am looking to revive. It would be nice to keep them incandescent, but am definitely open to any LED modifications.

I have a Stinger XT HP. I will be ordering a new NiMh battery. So, what all are my options?

I am looking to buy a regular Stinger. I would prefer a Malkoff drop in, but he is no longer making them :(. What mods are available for it? Any LED drop in worth its weight, or that can stand up to a Malkoff quality/design?

I have a Sl-20x. The only thing I don't like about it is, the newer battery NiMh I believe, take 15 hours to fully charge! The Malkoff mod (which seems to always be out of stock, lol) says the battery runs about 75 minutes or so. Anything out there that is comparable? Anyone know of a charger that is quicker?

Almost every thread I read was at least 4 years old. Nothing current/new, so I figured I would ask to see what is new out there for these lights that I am not ready to give up just yet.

Thanks in advance.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look into the Terralux LED upgrades for both of your lights. I have no experience with the Terralux brands but you should be able to find plenty of info on their performance across the net.

I have the Malkoff drop ins for both the incan Stinger and incan SL-20X. I believe both LED upgrades were beneficial for the price.

The Malkoff LED dropin gave the classic incan Stinger's light output a vast improvement, it's runtime is greatly improved and the output color is a slightly warm tint. Note: Streetlight's new Classic LED Stinger is brighter and whiter with less of a defined hotspot than my Malkoff Stinger drop in. Both Stingers are the same size. Side by side, I prefer the new Classic LED Stinger's beam color and profile hands down.

The Malkoff LED dropin for the SL-20X is floodier than the stock incan bulb. The stock bulb throws much better. However, the runtime is vastly improved and the color of the beam is quite a bit more cool in tint. I am using the stock charger. I don't know of any other charger or fast charger for this system. There is an aftermarket stand-alone charger called the Empire Replacement Battery Charger. If you use the light very frequently and need it during the charge cycle you could buy an extra battery and charge it separately from the battery in your SL-20X. That would give you the ability to alway have a fully charged battery for the light.

If I were to buy a new Stinger I would look at the new 640 lumen Stinger DS LED HL or Stinger LED HL models.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Malkoff Devices. I THINK they have some LED drop ins that will work for you. Gene Malkoff, the owner, does everything in the USA in Georgia and is a great guy to deal with. Lifetime warranty on his products.

prof student

Enlightened
Check out Malkoff Devices. I THINK they have some LED drop ins that will work for you. Gene Malkoff, the owner, does everything in the USA in Georgia and is a great guy to deal with. Lifetime warranty on his products.

I've emailed him twice about the Stinger drop-in. Once before the summer & once this month already. He will NOT be producing the Stinger drop-ins anymore whatsoever :(

I would love to keep on giving life to my SL-20x, but the charge time for the battery is 15 hours! That's why I am looking to see what all mods are out there for the Stinger lineup

prof student

Enlightened
I would look into the Terralux LED upgrades for both of your lights. I have no experience with the Terralux brands but you should be able to find plenty of info on their performance across the net.

I have the Malkoff drop ins for both the incan Stinger and incan SL-20X. I believe both LED upgrades were beneficial for the price.

The Malkoff LED dropin gave the classic incan Stinger's light output a vast improvement, it's runtime is greatly improved and the output color is a slightly warm tint. Note: Streetlight's new Classic LED Stinger is brighter and whiter with less of a defined hotspot than my Malkoff Stinger drop in. Both Stingers are the same size. Side by side, I prefer the new Classic LED Stinger's beam color and profile hands down.

The Malkoff LED dropin for the SL-20X is floodier than the stock incan bulb. The stock bulb throws much better. However, the runtime is vastly improved and the color of the beam is quite a bit more cool in tint. I am using the stock charger. I don't know of any other charger or fast charger for this system. There is an aftermarket stand-alone charger called the Empire Replacement Battery Charger. If you use the light very frequently and need it during the charge cycle you could buy an extra battery and charge it separately from the battery in your SL-20X. That would give you the ability to alway have a fully charged battery for the light.

If I were to buy a new Stinger I would look at the new 640 lumen Stinger DS LED HL or Stinger LED HL models.

Terralux hasn't come out with anything new for them in 4 years or so. I've read its an absolute gamble on what you get, between being on center or off, to the color of the light (greenish...blueish...etc...).

I am looking at the new Streamlight LED (DS) HLs. Someone on here had a graph where it doesn't last at 640 lumens very long, and drops to the 400 range shortly after. That is why I was looking for maybe other dropins (i.e. Malkoff) that reveal true & accurate OTF lumens.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use a stinger litepipe on my streamlight stinger. it turns it into a drop light and lasts for hours, even on a battery that i thought i had to dump.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you open to the idea of a CPF member modding your Streamlight(s)? There are a multitude of CPFers who can do some amazing mods, so it may be worth considering

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a streamlight product to convert halogen/xenon stingers into an led drop light. Check their website or ebay for pics

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for info. I have been a little behind the times re newer Streamlight products. I own several older Streamlights, and somewhere have a Stinger. Thanks,

Bill