New ThruNites

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been posted, I searched and did not find anything.

T21 V2 (looks a lot like the Olight S10)
dXtEN2t.png

Neutron 2C V2 (looks a lot like the Fenix PD12)
RF37bfP.png

Other new lights
Wk65cUw.png

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
"T21 V2 (looks a lot like the Olight S10)" -- quite an understatement... 'Shameless ripoff' seems like a better characterization. Funny thing is they copied that unpopular clip design as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Javora

Enlightened
That clip was one of the things I was looking at. With the older one I have the clip is screwed into the base. I'm wondering if it's possible to screw the head on to the older body and still work the same. Would have been happier if the side switch was at the other end of the light like the TN11S. Also noticed that the drop rating is reduced to 2m, down from 10m on the old one. It also doesn't remember strobe mode. Would have liked that better. Even with that I'd still like to get one.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
The Olight S10 is a very nice light - its chief (albeit minor) flaws being the so-so clip and exposed button. However, since the original can be had for $40 or so, I don't see the appeal of a budget clone that has the same weaknesses.

And knowing Thrunite, they'll lower moonlight, increase turbo, and remove the modes in between ;)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that ThruNite is sub-contracting/licensing the manufacturing/design from Olight and Fenix with a driver of their own design. Foursevens and Olight have collaborated and share Mgt. - think we might be seeing more of it in the future.

The Olight S10 is a very nice light - its chief (albeit minor) flaws being the so-so clip and exposed button. However, since the original can be had for $40 or so, I don't see the appeal of a budget clone that has the same weaknesses.

And knowing Thrunite, they'll lower moonlight, increase turbo, and remove the modes in between ;)

haha... good read on the issues/changes.:)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
You may be right Reppans about Thrunite licensing the design, and I'd sure hope that's so in this case. The S10 is a pretty unique (dare I say iconic?) design, and even considering China's ummm lack of concern for intellectual property, this would be ludicrous if it's not licensed.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I take back what I said about mid modes on the T21... I paid a visit to Thrunite's website, and apparently it offers THREE modes between moonlight and bonkers:

Firefly: 0.035 lumen (192 hours);
Low: 11 lumen (15 hours);
Medium: 64 lumen (230 minutes);
High: 220 lumen (70 minutes);
Turbo: 470 lumen (42 minutes).

A bit different than Olight's 0.5 / 5 / 85 / 400 spacing.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefly: 0.035 lumen (192 hours);
Low: 11 lumen (15 hours);

Your "and remove the modes in between" comment hit a cord with me. ThruNite's typical Grand Canyon (300x mode spacing) between firefly and low, unfortunately, always misses the mark for the majority of my needs, and I'm a sub-lumen collector. However, I do appreciate everyone has different tastes and TN may as well differentiate itself from the rest of the field in some way.

Nice to see some realistic "low" specs from TN for once though - 165 lumen-hrs (11x15) from a CR123 is actually very conservative. Their ~800 lm-hr specs from 1xNiMh for the Neutron 2A V2 (11x72) and T10 (20x39) is complete BS, and interestingly, their 2C V2 specs the same using an 18650, which is realistic. Go figure.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
"ThruNite's typical Grand Canyon (300x mode spacing) between firefly and low, unfortunately, always misses the mark for the majority of my needs..." -- I agree, my preference is for AT LEAST 4 well-spaced modes: moonlight, low, med, and high (in that order). And a 5th turbo output on top of that - even if it drops down to high after a couple of minutes - is icing on the cake. I get 4 modes from the Olight Baton series, and I get them from L3 Illumination lights, but up until now Thrunite hasn't been fulfilling my requirements. I just got an S10-L2 neutral this summer, so I won't be buying this particular Thrunite clone, but I'd be interested in the T10/T20 series of lights if they'd upgrade those lights to a 5 mode circuit. The new T10 looks pretty good, is reasonably priced, and is at least a distinct (not overtly derivative) design.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Did Thrunite just copy Olight?

There was another post about this, and that the Neutron V2s look just like the Fenix PD22. My guess is that ThruNite has licensed the design and is sub-contracting the manufacture of these lights through Olight and Fenix, but with a driver of their own design. Think we might see more manufacturer collaboration going forward, Olight and FourSevens have already.

Seems too blatant of a copy otherwise - JIMHO, I have no inside knowledge.

burntoshine

Enlightened
Re: Did Thrunite just copy Olight?

The name of the company is Thrunite; lol. It doesn't seem like a company of thinkers.

Here is a list of other fabulous possible names for a mediocre flashlight company:
Lytego
Button On Press Get Liiite
Have Light
Super On Litee
Nyte Hatur
Nite Kill Squad
Hand Have Lite
Darkness Disagree
Found See
Blind Not Quite
XXXtra See
Super Sun Many Yes
Dances With Not Dark
Night Soul Death
Forward See Volcano Person Aluminum Go Go
Lite Bisquit

SureAddicted

Enlightened
"T21 V2 (looks a lot like the Olight S10)" -- quite an understatement... 'Shameless ripoff' seems like a better characterization

Thrunite hasn't copied anything, because the light isn't made by Thrunite. You see this practice in the Automotive industry regularly.
Thrunite seems to offer a bit more than their counterparts, it's the case with the Neutron series, and now this.
The difference between the S10 and T21 appear to be the fifth mode. On the Olight you get strobe (double click from high), on the TN you get turbo (double click from high).
Thrunite filled the gap, the majority of people would prefer more output than a strobe, plus it's cheaper.