Cracked SFM6 Pyrex Window

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I cracked the pyrex window on my SFM6 and was wondering if I have to send it back to Surefire to get it replaced or if I can buy a new window and removal tool somewhere? I hate to send it back and be without it for a several weeks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Damn.... don't let Peter over at ARC read about this. We'll have to hear his told-ya-so about Lexan over Pyrex again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd suggest you send it back for proper fixing. You don't want to jeoporize the seals for waterproofness or damage the anti-shock mechanism.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with nascar. Unfortunately the turn-around time is so long. Give SF a call, they may just send you a replacement.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd send it back if i were you. getting another one of the proper size and dealing with everything else could be a hassle.

as far as the lexan vs. pyrex debate, i don't think a lexan would put up with the heat from an m6 la anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The best way to get a replacement is to call SureFire (800 828 8809) and explain the situation. It is likely you'll be asked to send it in. Depending on the demand for the part it may take a while for them to send you another one.
I doubt they will just change the lens. They don't have a kit for changing Pyrex lenses yourself.

You could buy a KT4 for your M3 and use the TurboHead on your M6 (using your M6 lamps of course) while you wait.
Once you get the replacement back you'll have the TurboHead option for your M3 - and in my opinion this is an option worth having.

The number of glass lens breakages is very small but they do break. I believe the number of Pyrex breakages is much less than the number of replacement Lexan lenses and bezels SureFire has to send out.

It will be interesting to find out how long it takes. Please keep us updates.

Al

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like I'll have to send it in. I don't know how I broke it, thats the funny thing. I just noticed it a couple of days ago. It does bounce around it the truck a lot though. I'll have to be more carefull from now on. I think the turboheads probably are more prone to breakage due to the larger size of the window. My M3 has taken a beating over the couple of years that I've had it with no problems at all.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Al,
I don't have a pic of it, but I can describe it.(just went and got it and it's not "as bad" as I thought it was)
However, the break is on the edge of the window where it meets the edge of the bezel. I measured it and it is only about 3/8 of an inch long. It is still fully functional and I will probably continue to use it like it is for a while. (I love the thing)

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
BTW, it's not even as bad as it sounds. You can only see about 1/4" of it. The rest is hidden under the ring that holds the window in place. Wish they sold that tool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Being a mechanic, it drives me crazy to send it back for such a simple repair.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You have two M6's - I can understand why one hand doesn't want to be empty while it's M6 gets repaired...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've broken a few SureFire Pyrex lenses because I wanted to know how tough they are. Very tough.
I've not tried to break a TurboHead though. Although I have tried to break the M3T as a whole. The Pyrex lenses didn't break but I found that the MN15 was not as resistant to "defocusing" as the MN16 and N2 lamps. I put this down to the thinner, longer arched filament of the MN15.
Anyway, I think you have email from me on another issue...

Al

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Al,
I am sick, I actually bought the second M6 for "collecting" purposes. I bought a pelican case to keep it in so it and it's beam cover stays minty fresh. using one while putting the other one in a pelican case. I am addicted. Truely addicted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
I love it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
No I didn't. I can't speak from experience, but I would guess if it did have a beam cover it probably wouldn't have cracked since the beamcover wraps around the bezel of the light and probably makes it much stronger. Like I say I am only guessing here.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
mporter,
Thanks for the info. After I get my pyrex window fixed, I'll either spring for another beamcover, or the cap you mentioned. I don't think the cap will prevent breakage, but it will keep your lens from getting sctatched up. My brother in law is a professional photographer and I think he has some of those caps. I'll have to see.

arioch

Enlightened
I had cracked the pyrex lens on my SF8AX over a year ago (dropped on concrete pavement). I did not want to send it in to get it fixed, so let it go for a while. Then, I inadvertently left my old 6P on while inside the leather holster of my duty belt, and the lexan lens "bubbled". I called SF customer service, and explained the situation. I expected to have to send the lights in to get them repaired. The CS person, however, told me they would get replacements out shortly. About 3 weeks later (I live in Hawaii), I got both replacement lens in the mail.

Replacement was rather simple for my two lights, and the packages come with instructions. I don't know about replacement/return policies for the M6, but my experience with SF CS has been rather positive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened
I emailed SureFire about two months ago about a damaged lens in my 9Z. I got a reply email less than 3 minutes later (!) wanting my mailing address so they could send a replacement lens. I got it in the mail about eight days later. I still can't believe how quick they took care of me.

If you haven't contacted them already, do it. I'm betting they will get you fixed up in short order. BTY, the replacement process was simple, and the included documentation was easy to understand (pictures included).

Very impressive customer service isn't a thing of the past after all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 9Z used a pop-in snap-fit Lexan lens.
SureFire has Lexan lens replacement kits for their "standard" Classic bezel, Classic 8X and Z32 bezels.

The Pyrex lens can not be user replaced. A new bezel is required.

Al