Work from home jobs

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
Anyone here working from home? I am currently a home-based writer, so I can very well attest to the numerous advantages of working from home against working in an office.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I've had several careers in my life. I'm now retired, but for seven years I was a freelance technical and science writer and editor so I can attest to the advantages of working from home.

Anyone here working from home? I am currently a home-based writer, so I can very well attest to the numerous advantages of working from home against working in an office.

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
I was actually thinking about renting some office space nothing big just a small office or something to use as a "getaway" so I'm not home all the time...in your time did you ever do this? And if so did it benefit you?

Norman

Newly Enlightened
There are some companies that offer "hotel-ing" office space. There are desks & even meeting rooms that are available on a shared basis. Other companies offer a public face with your main phone line running into a shared reception desk. You then rent an enclosed office, and it just looks like one large company with dozens of offices. Few people will realize that the large building you're company is in is actually shared by dozens of companies.

watt4

Enlightened
I was actually thinking about renting some office space. nothing big just a small office or something to use as a "getaway" so I'm not home all the time...in your time did you ever do this? And if so did it benefit you?

I have not done it, nor worked from home, but have you considered getting yourself a smallish camper (maybe 14 ft), and towing it somewhere when you need some variety? state park, commercial campground, a friend's property,...... it could also be used as a quiet 'retreat' while it's parked in your own backyard.

if you want minimum maintenance, you don't have to actually enable/use the bathroom or running water or the stove.

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
Work from home

I am planning to set up a home office so that I can work better. I get distracted by the television and the kitchen all the time. Does anyone else have a home office?

Also, has anyone tried working at a cafe or public library or McDonalds (lol), perhaps? How do you concentrate?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Work from home

I do,just the radio for company the rest are office based machines such as lappy,handy phone,ipad printer etc.

Leave the telly off if you are working.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

I spend so much time in meetings or needing to focus on my work that I do not even get to turn on the radio (or any other music source) for audio distraction. I end up using a fan as a white noise generator.

I DEFINITELY do not have the television on, nor do I have my home computer within range. I even turn my cell phone on silent, or even set it across the room, to keep from letting it distract me.

I use only a regular-sized thermal coffee cup with a (relatively) spill-proof lid. The spill-proof lid is for reasons that should be obvious (and this is VERY necessary), and the regular size is to force me to have to get up now and then to go to the kitchen and refill it, so that I do get up from the desk from time to time. The trick in not letting the kitchen distract me is to ONLY visit the coffee-making station, not the fridge or the pantry or the stove or the microwave or... well, you get the point. It takes practice, but you'll learn. :)

-Trooper-

Newly Enlightened

Having the TV on when working definitely makes me unproductive. If I'm working from
home I will have some music playing in the background. I always need some sort of noise in the back. I found that working in a Starbucks or even McDonalds is quite productive. There is enough white noise in the background and they often provide free wifi. There is nothing else to do there except work, lol.

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened

Good one on the regular cup, Cyclops942! Yeah, I think I will definitely need to do something about either a home office or drinking more coffee (at Starbucks). A couple of people (not from the same company) I know have also suggested we get a temp office or a small office space. We all work from home and we still have the freedoms connected with a home office without the distractions (hopefully) - I will let you know how it goes. I had a double take, though, when I say the cost. :(

Arutar90

Newly Enlightened

An office in the basement is the best.

As for working outside in cafes, it's not as good as I thought it would. The noise level and the people walking around will make you distracted. However, if the kind of work you have to do on a given day is more light and doesn't require too much focus, then it's great, because people will give you inspiration.

Alex W

Newly Enlightened
i'm not working at home, but some of my friends run a small online shop and they usually working at home with a computer. small business.