Why do I keep hearing AAA lights being unreliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buds224

Enlightened
I have a few and they've all been reliable, minus a Thrunite Ti that suffered from the 2 level metal tab wearing out. I removed the tab and used it as a single mode for a little longer until it finally quit (lasted 8 months). All other makes and models have been fabulous, my favorite being a titanium DQG neutral aaa being pushed by a 10440 li-ion. Great little light!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Where did you hear that? Was the comment meant to cover every AAA light? Sounds equivalent to saying that all vehicles with a 12 gallon gas tank are unreliable... The battery size has no correlation to the flashlight build quality, or for that matter the design -- besides the size of the battery tube. There are some excellent AAA lights available.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I just wanted to confirm and see what you guys had to say. What do I know!! I am just a newbee to this stuff.

Fair enough... I wasn't meaning to be harsh, just not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. I spend a lot of time (too much time perhaps ;)) reading the LED flashlights forum, and I haven't noticed a glut of threads here bashing AAA lights in general. Just the opposite, actually. People seem to appreciate their compact size for EDC and keychain carry. Of course, the price you pay for the small size is short runtime when compared to AA or CR123 lights... Which is really more about the batteries than the lights, and has nothing to do with reliability.

Without knowing what threads you're referring to, or what specific complaints were being made therein, it's hard to give you a better answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

cistallus

Enlightened
Guessing the OP might be referring to 3-AAA lights - like cheap flashlights and headlamps at the checkout stand.

Many here don't like such lights, not necessarily because they are 3-AAA, but because they are often not good overall lights.

The 3-AAA is popular in those because it allows for a light with no electronics, the 4.5V is enough to overcome the Vf of the LED, no extra boost/buck circuitry needed.

Also, a 1-AA configuration has similar or more total battery energy under load as a 3-AAA with the advantages of single cell, no battery carrier, fewer contact points, etc. See for instance: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hy-3x-AAA-batteries-in-stead-of-1x-AA-battery

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
I,ve got a Leatherman Serac 2 (still my favorite aaa clicky) that I have used as a edc for 7 years now and it still works great. Is there a certain brand that you heard about that was unreliable?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree there is some more or less popular reluctancy to triple AAA headlamps, mostly because those are mainstream plastic light that are usually IPX-4 at best. Somehow, the main arguments are that AAA batteries do not contain as much energy as AA's or that they should be IPX-8 in our day and age. While all that is true, I have used some of those in the past with absolutely no issue ever. No one can argue a Zebra is more likely to survive being rolled over by a car, but I'd like to see some stats on how often that really ever happens... I never even came close to rolling over a wrench, let alone a light... I even see more and more people in construction or maintenance guys using common store headlamps and they're definitely not complaining about a single thing. In fact, they're ecstatic about their cheap headlamp.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
There are a class of lights I like to call "battery crushers" that seem less than reliable to me. They are found in all battery configurations and have a design where the battery is pressed between two rigid contacts with no spring applying pressure. They often loose contact, begin to flicker and the user may over tighten the battery in an attempt to compensate. The result is a battery with crushed ends. I avoid these "battery crusher" designs like the plague.

My favorite AAA light is a titanium Fenix LO-TI. I've had it for years and it's never failed me.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
As a flashaholic I would like to know some of the brands/models of flashlights, you have used that show battery crushing. Thanks,

Bill

movanoman

Newly Enlightened
I have LED LENSER P7 great light no problems it got me started on high power led now I have a few but the p7 still works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a good few AAA lights and never had any issues and my edc of choice is AAA,my bedside light at the moment is AAA.

ven

Flashaholic
I am sure mr yoyo will add his great knowledge as he has a family of AAA lights ,from custom to standard......

My experience is good,no issues over the years,ironically the longest working light i have is an AAA maglite(also the worst for illumination too :laughing: ) which must be.....15-20yrs old.......dont know .
I have mulit AAA lights too,my fav of those is the lenser t7.2(genuine not fake) ........
Many great single AAA lights out there,the output is being pushed beyond 100lm now and their size make great key chain lights or EDC lights due to size. The only weakness is the AAA cell itself due to not holding enough juice(mah) but it is all comparable as of course its a small cell. AAA eneloops imo make a great choice of cell for performance and life over time,also piece of mind over some alki cells too regarding potential leaks/performance etc.

Everyone will have different experiences,only takes a couple of people to post a latest AAA light that is faulty,soon could like like an XXXXXXXX brand/model is rubbish from a google search..........

AA of course offers higher mah over AAA but its too big imo(or for me anyway) on keys,so its AAA/10440 or 10180 on my keys,be it work/cars :thumbsup:
Without AAA lights i think a lot of us would feel weighed down :laughing:

Just a thought too,as most AAA lights live on keys etc,they do get more of a hammering/clanging/dropping over other larger lights that get used maybe less frequent.............

Just my opinion and reserve the right to :p
;)

Last edited:

earthman

Newly Enlightened
I am sure mr yoyo will add his great knowledge as he has a family of AAA lights ,from custom to standard......

My experience is good,no issues over the years,ironically the longest working light i have is an AAA maglite(also the worst for illumination too :laughing: ) which must be.....15-20yrs old.......dont know .
I have mulit AAA lights too,my fav of those is the lenser t7.2(genuine not fake) ........
Many great single AAA lights out there,the output is being pushed beyond 100lm now and their size make great key chain lights or EDC lights due to size. The only weakness is the AAA cell itself due to not holding enough juice(mah) but it is all comparable as of course its a small cell. AAA eneloops imo make a great choice of cell for performance and life over time,also piece of mind over some alki cells too regarding potential leaks/performance etc.

Everyone will have different experiences,only takes a couple of people to post a latest AAA light that is faulty,soon could like like an XXXXXXXX brand/model is rubbish from a google search..........

AA of course offers higher mah over AAA but its too big imo(or for me anyway) on keys,so its AAA/10440 or 10180 on my keys,be it work/cars :thumbsup:
Without AAA lights i think a lot of us would feel weighed down :laughing:

Just a thought too,as most AAA lights live on keys etc,they do get more of a hammering/clanging/dropping over other larger lights that get used maybe less frequent.............

Just my opinion and reserve the right to :p
;)

All good points you make there. I too Have had a few Solitaire's over the years, never had a problem, know what you mean about the output though,...to think that I thought That they were the best thing around at the time. LOL

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My solitaire still works, but it has a somewhat unstable output and sometimes will flicker off. I can still get it back by shaking it or playing with the head, but it just had too much pocket time back in the days and the head is probably just too loose now. I too thought it was the best thing when I got mine, but I have seen the light since.

Status
Not open for further replies.