Christmas Gift Guide 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's that time of year again, time to pick out gifts for friends and loved ones, which has over time come to mean "pick up some gift cards at the drug store." But if you'd be interested in being that one thoughtful gift giver who has somehow come up with an incomparably awesome gift that stands out, I offer my expertise of handling several thousand of the hottest and most unique items daily as an Amazon.com employee, all neatly categorized in this handy gift guide.

You already know to get your adult male recipients flashlights, and the rest of this site is already dedicated to steering you right in that regard; this Cafe thread is about buying for those difficult family/household items, and for the girls and boys for whom a hot toy might be more memorable than a flashlight. Everything is in the ~$25 range, so each item is priced on par with what you would have been spending on a gift card. I may amend the offerings over time, and you are of course welcome to post your own findings and ideas to further enlighten the confused gift-giver. Click the item title above the image to go to the item's sale page.

Family/Household:

Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities

iyg9AAvDcMagp.jpg

A giant 400+ page catalog of the most unique and interesting items and ideas centering around tools and getting things done; very similar to the Whole Earth Catalog, but even broader in scope with 10+ years of curated content from the Cool-tools.org blog. 1,500+ items from maps to vehicles to other catalogs - on the first two pages: A book on reducing clutter, a catalog of Amish clothing, an international Amazon.com shopping service, a price-tracking service, a non-electric tools catalog, and more, more, so much more. A catalog so good that it can be a coffee table book, just be warned that randomly opening to any page will leave you browsing for an hour and taking notes.

Eneloop Power Pack:

iFenjk89VF3t2.jpg

This one hedges on the ~$25 rule just a bit, but hey, it's Eneloops. A whole presentation case of them, ready-to-go out of the box with everything needed for the complete rechargeable novice; cells, sleeves, and a charger that can indeed charge individual cells, with individual indicator lights. The Eneloop all-in-one full-meal-deal, all the toys will have batteries at the ready Christmas morning..

Fluxx Card Game:

iW6m35utu6yZc.jpg

It starts out so simply, draw a card, play a card. But the rules are on the cards, so as you're playing the game, the game changes - you're not even playing the same game as the game progresses. The goal of the game: Also on the cards, so that changes too. You may have been a play away from winning, then someone changed the goal, or perhaps you can change the goal to your favor.. An awesome chaotic time-waster for the whole family, since there's no one strategy that can help you win, even if you play for some time, it's anyone's game!

Lucky Charms Marshmallows, One Pound Bag:

inbFXa0TsW7K4.jpg

It's a one pound bag of the marshmallows from Lucky Charms cereal. Charms in your latte, Charms on your ice cream, Charms on your bran cereal that didn't have marshmallows, oh the possibilities..

Boys:

UDI Remote Control Nano Quadcopter:

ibcBjmGscsrGOr.jpg

Yes, this meets the price guideline. A minuscule 3.5" square LED-lit R/C drone, everything included to charge, fly, and repair out-of-the-box. While there are many variations of this kind of nano-quadcopter, this particular model includes the propguard - you can fly this copter directly into a wall and it will bounce off harmlessly, whereas without the guard, even the mildest brush against an object will cause the affected rotor to eject and then a skydive crash (which will usually eject more rotors.) This model's remote also has a three-setting switch for numbing the controls, so the normally skittish-touchy joysticks are much easier to adjust to for new flyers.

Nerf Sledgefire:

iyVXxL9T1Mvxq.jpg

Dart guns are a wee bit more advanced in the 21st century, which certainly holds true for this dart shotgun - three round speedloader clips held in the stock drop directly into the breech, and with a manual pump, you're ready to send a trio of rounds ~30 feet downfield with knock-over-cans energy. Guaranteed to make other playtime weaponry seem completely boring in comparison.

Carson Micromax 60x-100x LED Pocket Microscope:

ihivQFCs1KVQl.jpg

A microscope in your pocket ready for any adventure; technically a Barlow lens/Terrest-Magni eyepiece with an LED light and zoom control, you just press this device against any surface and look through the eyepiece for instant microscopy. Particularly awesome with insects and currency anti-counterfeit features.

High Performance Cars Coloring Book:

ibl5JTVs0fkaqo.jpg

A simple coloring book where the author has taken actual photography of cars and Photoshopped them to remove color spaces; unlike other coloring books where you're coloring cartoon images, these are actual photos of cars to color in, a very cool idea.

Turbospoke Bike Muffler:

izDQsN5SaEcr3.jpg

A sport muffler-shaped resonant chamber attached to the rear of a bike frame, holding a card that rubs against the spokes producing a throaty two-stroke sound. Makes onlookers do a double-take trying to figure out why a bicycle has an exhaust system, and wait until you see the reaction from the other kids on the block..

Metal Earth 3D SR-71 Blackbird Model:

i5VgomFMndNZ3.jpg

The legendary Skunkworks Habu, rendered here laser-cut into metal cards; punch out the parts, shape, and attach together. A unique challenge for the detail-oriented older kids, quite the conversation piece for kids of all ages when complete. Completely flat packaging fits nicely into a greeting card.

Makedo Playhouse:

iJGUNHiPGejym.jpg

Got a kid who plays with the boxes as much as the toys? Just make the boxes into a toy - this kit includes blueprint instructions, clips, hinges, stickers, and a plastic safety saw so kids can help shape up the containers left over from all the presents into a nicely appointed playhouse/fort, just add cardboard. Lots of possibilities with this one, aside from how they choose to decorate it, you will of course consider lighting..

Girls:

Frozen Carry-All Tin:

i7MVswSmt5jSR.jpg

Elsa, Elsa, Elsa; Holiday shopping for girls this year is all about Frozen, and this nicely built tin is a standout in the category. All metal construction like a lunchbox (and lunchbox-sized), the Arendelle sisters printed front and back with a jeweled and beaded handle just for flair - this particular box is an eye-catcher quality-wise, and comes across like a Disneyland-exclusive item that you'd only find at the park.

Discovery Kids Motorized Pottery Wheel:

ibsBpSqpWv624w.jpg

An all-in-one home pottery wheel kit, includes the clay and even the paint to decorate. Cups, vases, pencil holders await. Girls love the paint-your-own-pottery stores, now she can say, "We have that at home."

Monster High Make-Up Sketch Portfolio:

ibnK7tPcC7Lmo0.jpg

A very clever take on the coloring book, providing bust illustrations of the Monster High girls for coloring, adding sheets of jewelry/feature stickers and templates for colorful paint-like designs. Many of the images are repeated several times over, so your aspiring cosmetologist can try different designs on the same girl.

Frozen Complete Story Playset:

ib1Exjj7bJ7UTg.jpg

Dolls are always a tricky buy since you probably don't know which ones she already has; skip that and just get one of each - this action-figure playset includes all the major characters from the film, an entire group of kids can pop open the box and begin recreating the movie immediately. Link is to Wal-Mart as Amazon third-party sellers are too pricey.

Break Your Own Geodes Kit:

isoItzjVo7u6S.jpg

Put rocks in your kid's stocking - there's no better geology lesson than one where you get to harvest your own glittering, colorful crystals. A brief application of dad's hammer (don't forget dad's safety glasses) and it's a jackpot of gemstones as seen at your local mall or county fair. An included guide helps you properly identify your newfound lode.

Melissa and Doug Play House Sticker Book:

ibiCg7ts2zFtki.jpg

The Sims in two dimensions; a book of household rooms/scenes complete with vinyl re-stickable stickers, so your child can create their own story or just play house. Ideal for the back of the car or the plane.

Last edited:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
What about the gift of a quality flashlight?

Even my husband's mother liked our Olight S10 Batons enough to want one and have us promise her to get one for her birthday. She'll get the better S10r since she doesn't have any other LI-ion batteries that need the same charger as Led flashlight battery chargers.

Spread the "gift" this holiday season my fellow forum members.

CMAG

Enlightened
I gift torches every year, but stick to AA/AAA with a user friendly UI. This year the Pelican 1910

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I gift torches every year, but stick to AA/AAA with a user friendly UI. This year the Pelican 1910

Have you thought of being a bit more "giving" this holiday season by gifting either a 16340 or 18650 battery powered torch with at least a cheap dual port charger? Giving a AA/AAA powered "light" is not giving the gift but very often, just strengthening the ignorance.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
The bad thing about gifting lithium ion batteries to most people is they don't have a clue to respect the possible dangers and gifting a bad charger only increases the chances of a mishap. If they aren't already in the hobby then you shouldn't be giving them lithium ions in my opinion. It'll certainly cost a bit more to get someone properly set up for maximum safety and training or atleast warning of their potential.

Have you thought of being a bit more "giving" this holiday season by gifting either a 16340 or 18650 battery powered torch with at least a cheap dual port charger? Giving a AA/AAA powered "light" is not giving the gift but very often, just strengthening the ignorance.

The bad thing about gifting lithium ion batteries to most people is they don't have a clue to respect the possible dangers and gifting a bad charger only increases the chances of a mishap. If they aren't already in the hobby then you shouldn't be giving them lithium ions in my opinion. It'll certainly cost a bit more to get someone properly set up for maximum safety and training or atleast warning of their potential.

Compromise. Gift a AA light from Four Sevens. Rechargeable lights aren't for the novice.

~ Chance

parametrek

Enlightened
By the way, if you want to get everyone a different and unique flashlight tailored to their needs (instead of being that guy who gave everyone a PD35UE) I have a database that was literally made for exactly this purpose. My usual goals for gift lights are AA batteries, two to four modes, and no strobe. Out of the 1018 models in the DB there are 68 lights that I might be considering as gift material.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened

Compromise. Gift a AA light from Four Sevens. Rechargeable lights aren't for the novice.

~ Chance

Fully protected batteries like Nitecore, Olight...et al are just as safe to use as laptop or smartphone batteries.Even a less than novice, battery ignorant person could charge and use those as,safely as the devices mentioned above.

If frugality makes someone reluctant to spend the extra for fully protected name brand batteries and ignorance fails them to appreciate the danger of doing so, then that is a whole other issue. I generally don't like giving gifts to people like that anyway.

Unprotected and most underprotected cells often aren't safe even for many knowledgable users like those who are are psychoactive substance users under the influence and people with mood and attention issues or just a plain distracting household environment.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Fully protected batteries like Nitecore, Olight...et al are just as safe to use as laptop or smartphone batteries.Even a less than novice, battery ignorant person could charge and use those as,safely as the devices mentioned above.

If frugality makes someone reluctant to spend the extra for fully protected name brand batteries and ignorance fails them to appreciate the danger of doing so, then that is a whole other issue. I generally don't like giving gifts to people like that anyway.

Unprotected and most underprotected cells often aren't safe even for many knowledgeable users like those who are are psychoactive substance users under the influence and people with mood and attention issues or just a plain distracting household environment.

Protection circuits can and do fail. They are intended to be a finally safety. I've seen plenty of novices use a flashlight until it dies, meaning the PC kicked in. The very fact that you are talking about protected cells puts you in a very small percentage of the population. Most people have no battery safety awareness, hence the label novice. If you take a moment to re-read your post, you pretty much made Chauncey's argument for him.

Protected/unprotected is not the same as safe/unsafe. ICR's are unsafe/protected, IMR's are safe/unprotected. LiFePO4 comes to mind as one of the safest, most abuse resistant chemistries available. They can take a substantial amount of overcharge/discharge without ill effect. I'd trust LFP's over ICR's any day of the week.

Plenty of people buy knock-off cells, even people here on the forums (see the AW thread on the marketplace). Knock-offs chargers are responsible for the cell phone fires you read about on the news. It's difficult to buy an unsafe cell phone or laptop; the batteries are usually not removable and the chargers are generally universal/included. The same cannot be said of flashlights and their batteries/chargers.

Cells phones and laptops actually power off before the battery is completely dead. Some drivers mimic this feature but not all flashlights have a low voltage shut-off. This is different from a battery's protection circuit which kicks in at an even lower voltage.

There are nothing low end about AA/AAA lights. Anyone who says AA/AAA lights are junk is speaking from ignorance. The Tain Flute and Ottavino are just two fantastic examples of many great AA/AAA lights out there. Pair that with a set of Eneloops and it's a gift that any flashaholic would be proud to receive.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Protection circuits can and do fail. They are intended to be a finally safety. I've seen plenty of novices use a flashlight until it dies, meaning the PC kicked in. The very fact that you are talking about protected cells puts you in a very small percentage of the population. Most people have no battery safety awareness, hence the label novice. If you take a moment to re-read your post, you pretty much made Chauncey's argument for him.

Protected/unprotected is not the same as safe/unsafe. ICR's are unsafe/protected, IMR's are safe/unprotected. LiFePO4 comes to mind as one of the safest, most abuse resistant chemistries available. They can take a substantial amount of overcharge/discharge without ill effect. I'd trust LFP's over ICR's any day of the week.

Plenty of people buy knock-off cells, even people here on the forums (see the AW thread on the marketplace). Knock-offs chargers are responsible for the cell phone fires you read about on the news. It's difficult to buy an unsafe cell phone or laptop; the batteries are usually not removable and the chargers are generally universal/included. The same cannot be said of flashlights and their batteries/chargers.

Cells phones and laptops actually power off before the battery is completely dead. Some drivers mimic this feature but not all flashlights have a low voltage shut-off. This is different from a battery's protection circuit which kicks in at an even lower voltage.

There are nothing low end about AA/AAA lights. Anyone who says AA/AAA lights are junk is speaking from ignorance. The Tain Flute and Ottavino are just two fantastic examples of many great AA/AAA lights out there. Pair that with a set of Eneloops and it's a gift that any flashaholic would be proud to receive.

Name brand (Nitecore, Olight...et al) batteries are just as safe to use as laptop batteries. Yes, some laptop batteries even those that came high end laptops did indeed explode when laptops were new to the market. It didn't take long for safety to improve. If a cheap, ignorant fool tries to save money by buying a sub-generic laptop battery replacement shipping from China on Ebay, they are heading for the same trouble as the same type type of fool who does the same thing for 16340 and 18650 batteries.

Protected doesn't mean fully protected. Many ICR batteries are underprotected. I have already posted that as I did about advertised protection not being the real protection for Chinese sub-generic junk.

Spending $300 for a novelty flashlight that has style but isn't mass produced and gets only 100 lumens of performance is junk unless you are talking about an extremely tiny light like the DQG SPY. Putting a $3 Ebay light in a platinum case with 4C rich diamonds on it doesn't make it a better light either anymore than a specific light having historical significance does.

If you can get 400 lumens and 341 feet of throw in a 2.7" form factor for less than $40 like the Olight S10 sells for on Ebay, why on Earth settle for less? If the charging setup is too frustrating , getting a S10R for $60 remedies that. If 2.7" is too big, DQG has plenty of lights to remedy that as well albeit in the 10180 form factor. If 400 lumens isn't bright enough or 341 feet isn't far enough, there are plenty of other lights to remedy those problems.

Spare 16340 and 18650 name brand batteries don't cost significantly more than AA/AAA until you get to higher capacity versions and can be bought at Batteries Plus and better quality ones at REI in an emergency if time is too critical to wait for internet shipments.

Please tell me what those AA/AAA battery powered lights do that a 16340 or 18650 battery powered light cannot do better.

By the way, if you want to get everyone a different and unique flashlight tailored to their needs (instead of being that guy who gave everyone a PD35UE) I have a database that was literally made for exactly this purpose. My usual goals for gift lights are AA batteries, two to four modes, and no strobe. Out of the 1018 models in the DB there are 68 lights that I might be considering as gift material.

Took a tour. Pretty cool man! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

~ Chance

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my birthday this year, my 7 year old son got me the Pocket Ref, 4th edition. Yes, it's a book, but it has so much info it's ridiculous. Perfect for that techie, or engineering type.
mine resides in the car's center console and gets used at least weekly.

Secondly, don't be too quick to decide what the boys and girls will like. I know some girls who would love to receive that microscope or quad-copter.
All in all great ideas. I'll be checking back for other's input.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Polargirl;4533479 Unprotected and most underprotected cells often aren't safe even for many knowledgable users like those who are are psychoactive substance users under the influence and people with mood and attention issues or just a plain distracting household environment.[/QUOTE said:
Please tone down your rhetoric. Looking like trolling to flame so called "knowledgeable users". Please see CPF Rule 4. Contact me via a PM if you want to discuss this issue. Thanks,

Bill

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Please tone down your rhetoric. Looking like trolling to flame so called "knowledgeable users". Please see CPF Rule 4. Contact me via a PM if you want to discuss this issue. Thanks,

Bill

I apologize if you thought it was trolling to flame. I am one of those people who are too distracted in life to use unprotected cells despite sufficient knowledge. That's all I was trying to get at and give examples of other people who might be as well.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Great with some christmas gift tips.
That Eneloop pack looks good. Does the charger fit the D cells as well?

I have given a few Victorinox knives before that were appreciated and have a black Compact for my daughter (age 13) this year.

Edit: Looked it up myself - looks like it take AA and AAA only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.