RCR123A Battery Recommendation for Fenix PD12 and/or E15

Ozymandias

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am looking to convert to the use of RCR123A rechargeables after my supply of free primaries runs out. Could someone recommend a brand of RCR123A's + charger for use with these lights? I'm aware that the manuals say specifically not to use them so I'm also wondering if anyone else here has done so. I'm assuming a 3 volt rechargeable would be the ideal thing but I'm not sure.

Input appreciated.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
I've been running AW16340 batteries in my PD12 since fenix released the light. It is way brighter than using 3 volt. I do mean WAY brighter.

The down side is the light lost the medium and high level. It is now only low and turbo. If I put a primary 3 volt back it the light it still has all 4 stock modes. Again, this light had been my EDC for a while and has held up great.

Ozymandias

Newly Enlightened
I've been running AW16340 batteries in my PD12 since fenix released the light. It is way brighter than using 3 volt. I do mean WAY brighter.

The down side is the light lost the medium and high level. It is now only low and turbo. If I put a primary 3 volt back it the light it still has all 4 stock modes. Again, this light had been my EDC for a while and has held up great.

So I'm guessing that on boost it's in direct drive. Does it get hot quickly? How long would you say in a normal day do you run it in the two modes it now has?

Joeymt3

Enlightened
It is direct drive on turbo and very bright.

It will get hot in a couple minutes on turbo.

I charge the battery every week as it does start to deplete. I'm not sure about runtime. It stays clipped to my leatherman pouch and I grab it often.

Ozymandias

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Do you know of a United States based retailer that carries the AW battery you're using? Also what type of clip are you using with your PD12? I have mine on a retractable lanyard on my keyring but a clip might be more handy.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I've had good results with Panasonic Orbtronic, Nitecore, and AW brand batteries.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Just use any high drain battery for max performance, any good brand will do.

For the clip, I used a PD22 clip. There's no grove for the clip but it holds great.