Help with LED strips (Complete amateur)

Mikmaxs

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on a model project, and I need some help with the basics of LED strips. (Or, if someone has a better idea for the project, let me know!)

Basically, all I want to do is run two LED strips parallel to each other, on wooden support beams. You won't be able to see the strips, I just need them to give off a little white light. They need to be battery powered. If it would be possible to have a switch that changes the colors from blue to red that'd be great, but it's not required, turning it on and off is all I really need.

(For reference, here's a poorly done sketch of what I had in mind) :
bhVqJF2.jpg

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi and welcome!

What you want is pretty simple. I would recommend the typical 12V LED strips which are all over ebay. They typically have one resistor for 3 LEDs, you'll notice that when you see close-up images. They come with 60 or 120 LEDs per meter, 120 is brighter of course. Choose any color you want. You can also use multiple LED strips with different colors in parallel, with a dedicated switch for each.

You also need 12V input. Getting a 12V battery is complicated. I recommend to get a 4 AA battery holder, and put a step-up converter on it.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DC-DC-Step-u...=Wissenschaftliche_Geräte&hash=item2a40915089

This will turn the ~5V you get from 4 AA cells into 12V, just right for the strips. The switch should go between the battery and the converter, not between the converter and the LEDs.

Learn to solder via youtube, and you are done. I assume you have a basic understanding what a circuit is, with positive and negative wires and such?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you do not want to drive those tapes at 12v, they overheat and dim (in a month or two you'll get 1\3 of initial brightnes, regardless on what you glue it, aluminium track, or wood pole, i found it all out the hard way, you wanna drive them at 9v, this way they do not get as hot, and will last a lot longer, they will not be as bright, but difference will not be that big, for 9v power you can use either 6 (aaa, aa, c d) cells. (radioshack sells holders for any of those cells, or 3 cr123, (RS does not cell holders for cr123 iirc, but internet is full of them), pick the batteries depending on how long you neede to run it, . and how many leds you need\have,
5m of tape like that either with 2835, or 5050 leds will run about $20-25 on ebay. 5050 are brighter, but use more power.

Last edited:

Mikmaxs

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome!

What you want is pretty simple. I would recommend the typical 12V LED strips which are all over ebay. They typically have one resistor for 3 LEDs, you'll notice that when you see close-up images. They come with 60 or 120 LEDs per meter, 120 is brighter of course. Choose any color you want. You can also use multiple LED strips with different colors in parallel, with a dedicated switch for each.

You also need 12V input. Getting a 12V battery is complicated. I recommend to get a 4 AA battery holder, and put a step-up converter on it.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DC-DC-Step-u...=Wissenschaftliche_Geräte&hash=item2a40915089

This will turn the ~5V you get from 4 AA cells into 12V, just right for the strips. The switch should go between the battery and the converter, not between the converter and the LEDs.

Learn to solder via youtube, and you are done. I assume you have a basic understanding what a circuit is, with positive and negative wires and such?

So far, so good. Thanks for the help!

I think I can handle the circuitry, (I have a general understanding of it, though I'm no professional by a long shot,) just have a couple more questions:
I only need around 8" or 10" of LED, if I order a larger length is it possible to cut it down or do I have to order the length I need?

For supplying power, I'll just set it up with the battery pack running into a switch, the switch running into the Step Converter, and the Step Converter running into both LED strips? (Just to make sure I'm clear).

Once again, thanks for all the help.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Some of the strips come with "Barrel Plug" adapters, some don't. The barrel plug adapters may save you some soldering. Be sure to get (+) and (-) right. It almost certainly won't break the LEDs, but they won't light up when they're backwards.

Mikmaxs

Newly Enlightened
Okay, just so I make sure I'm not throwing my money away before ordering:
Based off of what I could find, I'm going to buy this battery holder:
http://bit.ly/1wK0KIh

Then, I'll wire that into a switch (Does anyone have a recommended switch to buy?)

The switch will run through to this adapter:
http://ebay.to/1zOoT6d

And finally, from the adapter I'll split the power and run into two short strips of this:
http://amzn.to/1sMAk4r

Am I missing anything, or am I good to go?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. No problem.
Personally, I'd use a 5v set of strips with a set of 3s2p standard lithium AA energizer batt sets and a switch. Low loss, low cost, low skills.
But that's just me.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Mikmaxs,

you got that right in your last postings. Usually, the LED strips have cut marks after every 3 LEDs, and solder pads.
So every multiple lenght of 3 LEDs is possible.

Supplying them from 8AA is possible, but I see the following disadvantages:

More batterys to charge and manage
Heavier
Brightness not adjustable

The little voltage trimmer on the converter will allow you to adjust the brightness. I don't see a general problem concerning life expectance at 12V. 2 or 3 years ago, I bought some of the cheapest LED strips I could find, and I am running a short sample on 12V 24/7 since then. After more than 20,000h, they still are perfectly ok.

Advantages of the 8AA pack:
The 8AA case has a switch and a nice plug, it looks indeed like a nice solution. Also, the runtime will be double compared to just 4AA. So it's your decision.

You'll need a short length of parallel cable to connect your LED strips on both sides.
Solder a cable to each strip, and connect to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-5-5mm-...ables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3a81249fc5

This will plug into your 8AA case connector.

Mikmaxs

Newly Enlightened
Julian Holtz:
I ended up going with the 8-volt. Adjustable brightness isn't a big deal, and neither is weight. (I highly doubt that anything I mount for the LED will weigh much next to the 5 or 6 pound model that it'll be attached to.)

Also, I got a Y cable for the plug-in, and found a couple LED strips that have the connector you mentioned already built in. :D