Surefire - L4 Lumamax (Price?)

M

mccullc

I found a brand new Surefire - L4 Lumamax for around $126.00 and I am still trying to talk myself into purchasing this very expensive flashlight.

Is it really worth it at that price?

Is $126.00 a good price?

Mark

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
126 is a pretty good price.

The L4 is a small and lightweight light. It is great for your EDC. It runs for one hour, and puts out an amazing BRIGHT flood beam. It does not have much throw, but it has a little. It is great indoors and outside. It is HAIII, the best finish IMO that there is.

If all of that sounds good to you, then go for it. I own a L4, and I carry it with me all of the time. I LOVE IT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up spending much more for my "L4" I bought the required parts individually as a lego kit but the L4 and TW4 are both excellent units and you can swap parts around a whole bunch of ways and EDC a different version each day for a few days and see which you like the best.

M

mccullc

Is it good for tactical purposes ie. blinding an attacker in your home at night.

If not, what is the best tactical light?

StevieRay

Enlightened
It is a great WOW LIGHT! Also, then when you tell them what you paid for it, you get a WOW>WOW! Can't believe anyone would spend that much for a light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Use of light to blind required a tool and skill and training.

The L4 will certainly be able to blind somebody but to make use of this required training. Light is not some magic solution. It is one of the tools you can use to prevail if you know how and have trained.

The E1e was used to take me down in a crowded trade show! I couldn't believe it.

The L4 is a fantastic flashlight without a doubt. It makes great EDC.

Enjoy it!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

road__kill

Newly Enlightened
The L4 has turned into my favorite light once you get past the cost. My has the whitest beam out of all my other lights. Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for a tactical light that is bright and reasonably priced for home defense, I'd probably recommend a Streamlight.

The L4 is not quite bright enough for your purposes. It gives a good quality light for color reproduction. Don't get me wrong, it is plenty bright, just not enough to overwhelm vision like some higher output lights.

As Al mentioned, to successfully use a light to disorient/take down a person requires professional training.

If you are looking for something to carry with you every day as part of a personal protection toolkit, the industry standard is > 65 lumens. Get a G2 nitrolon or one of the smaller Stingers.

Best of luck.

guncollector

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
As Al mentioned, to successfully use a light to disorient/take down a person requires professional training.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to add that not only does it take professional training (as Al suggests, and alot of it), but in low-light situations it takes the utmost in professional discretion when deciding to implement "light" as an offensive/defensive tool.

It is also very likely to get you killed the quickest if you're up against the wrong "professionally-trained" adversary.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
For tactical situations use the L4 to illuminate the target and then beat them into the ground with your trusty 12 D Mag light... that's if you can lift it without sustaining a rotator cuff tear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif