Optimum incan. configuration for Mag 2C

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Hey guys,

Hoping some of you bulb boys can help out a hot wire challenged modder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'd like to build a 2C Mag mod. I'm looking for the brightest possible config possible. From what I've been reading that seems to be the Carley 808 or 809 bulb and a Carley 2" reflector. Can anyone suggest something better, or is this the best I can do on 4 123s?

Thanks!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
On 4x123, the brightest configuration is probably the WA01274. At 7.2V 2.77A, it is pretty heavily overdriven on 4 cells. Even so, I've been running this is a 2D body for over a month with no problems. By all accounts, it should flash but doesn't. The rerating formulas put it at over 800 bulb lumens which translates to roughly 500 torch lumens. This would be about what the MagCharger guys are getting with the WA01160.

Oh yeah, it's freaking bright.

Wilkey

PS. Chief, I've got a spare one lying about. PM me if you want me to send it right out to you.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks PBJoe,

She's awful cute and behaves most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I suspect the Acrylite would help quite a bit. The WA01274 has a large-ish filament and casts a very bright but bi-lobe hotspot.

Wilkey

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running 4x123 in Mag3C (a little easier) with the WA1274 and it definitely rocks. I need to fiddle with the positioning of the bulb to better the focus though. I have a feeling that if you can get this thing to focus, it'll have some amazing throw. I thought my KPR112 (I think thats the one) in 2C mag with 3x123 was impressive, but this is a decent amount better.

Mark

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies for the OT, Chief Wiggum.

Wilkey -

What a sweetie!

I had something to say but I've forgotten what it was.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Thanks PBJoe,

She's awful cute and behaves most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I suspect the Acrylite would help quite a bit.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginseng, NOOOOOOOO! Don't Acrylite your daughter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
KJ brings up a good point. Cramming 4x123 into a 2C is not straightforward. Most recently someone has hit upon moving the switch body forward a few mm and I think that might give you the clearance to fit the batts w/o any machining. Most commonly, folks remove the anodizing from the inside of the tailcap and install a short compression spring in place of the stock tailspring. I have found that thread engagement is an issue and some have used a metal collar or large split ring to maintain electrical continuity. I prefer the shape of the 3C and use it without any modifications, as Minjin does. I had contracted DSpeck to manufacture a custom tailcap that would be 15 mm longer than the stock tailcap. Since you are lathe compatible, you might consider this route as it is elegant and would allow you to retain nearly stock length.

Minjin,
While you may be able to center the hotspot through various methods, it will not get any smaller. The large-ish filament will always result in a diffuse bi-lobe look with a small, brilliant center.

Icey,
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Milky,
You're naughty!

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, I picked up my 3C with 4x123 and WA01274 last night and shined it at the ceiling. I hadn't done so in a while.

WOW, DAMN, YIKES that thing is BRIGHT!!!!

But please oh please don't Acrylite your Daughter!!! I beg you not to do it!!!

LOL!