Flashlight etiquette

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Something occurred to me last night as me my wife and our kids where walking through an unlit park in Ambleside, cumbria UK. This is a beautiful area in the Lake District national park, and being during holiday time and early evening (6pm) there were many other family's taking their kids out for an adventure walk with torches. This is a rare occasion for me as I work very long hours and dont often have opportunities for evenings like this with the family.

My problem was, everyone else was using low power led torches or incandescents. Obviously enjoying the thrill of being out in the dark "wilderness". How tempted was I to blast my eagletac across the entire park and wipe out the beams (and fun) of everyone else. I resisted temptation and instructed my kids to turn down the modes on the fenix and sunwayman they were using. The wife was dragged along and had the s10 baton for company.

There were even walkers out without flashlights! Obviously trying to attune their night vision for the adventure ahead. What do you do here? Switch off until they've passed by?

Frustration. I'd love to have utilised all those 1000's of lumens we had brought along. For me i would love to share my hobby with my own kids and show them what its all about. Did I do the right thing or do we deserve the right to flash the lumens , After all we spend some serious cash on these things.

dalliance

Newly Enlightened
Spending money doesn't buy you the right to disturb the enjoyment of others. I think you did the right thing. Find somewhere less popular to enjoy the big beams.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^
This. Take the luxury German car, they paid more for their vehicle so they think it's their right to cut everyone off. How does that makes you feel.

When camping most people are using $2 LED lights with a weak blue beam. I walk with my Wildcat MT-G2 on low. On high is the equivalent of a warm sun. It would ruin the fun though.

UnderPar

Enlightened
IMHO, you did both, the right and wrong. Right, because you did not disturb others by focusing the lights on them which is really unethical. Maybe wrong also, because you could have focused the beam of the lights towards the trees or other areas where they will not disturb the people walking around the park. You could have tested and compared all the lights that you brought during that night. But then again, if we speak of etiquette, what you did was commendable.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You actually really surprise me you met anyone in the park to be perfectly honest and even more so they had a torch.You were perfectly within your rights to use your hobby lights and there is no such thing as flash light etiquette it is down to choice of the user.

ps If you are still there try the Australasian bistro on the one way out system Windermere bound,they make great burgers.

ven

Flashaholic
Cant really add as from your post and "concerns" to an extent shows common sense so sure you can make the right choices.

7500lm for example on a night time walk(presume more so because of Halloween) does not create a "scary ghost walk atmosphere"

Lower modes for atmosphere,if need a boost you have your 1000lm if needed.........simple as that.

Enjoy your lights with consideration for others,no doubt it would have been a talking point but could distract from the fun for some(for some:p )

:thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cant really add as from your post and "concerns" to an extent shows common sense so sure you can make the right choices.

7500lm for example on a night time walk(presume more so because of Halloween) does not create a "scary ghost walk atmosphere"

Lower modes for atmosphere,if need a boost you have your 1000lm if needed.........simple as that.

Enjoy your lights with consideration for others,no doubt it would have been a talking point but could distract from the fun for some(for some:p )

What,s all this consideration for others milarky? Just because they have naff and fugly lights no reason while you cannot demonstrate superior powered lights.:p

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What,s all this consideration for others milarky? Just because they have naff and fugly lights no reason while you cannot demonstrate superior powered lights.:p

Brief blasts, making sure it is not in peoples' eyes. You could have made things more interesting to others and maybe increased sales of decent flashlights, expanding the torch market, for the betterment of us all: Maybe even world peace would have unfolded.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

ven

Flashaholic

I guess its like not using "high beams" towards oncoming traffic :nana:

I guess its down to the scenario,lots out with kids doing walks in dark with maglites kicking out a horrid patterned beam thats key chain lights are brighter. Then you kick the mm15vn on turbo at 7400 OTF lumens on and make night day :laughing:

When me and Callum(4yr old) did a little flashlight testing,not many there but the odd one commented on "wow thats bright.........." kind of thing...........

We all have horns,could say horn etiquette would not be beeping/pipping at 2am(although illegal in UK it happens still)..............a time and a place and imho only the wielder of the flashlight can decide that one...................

If i am armed to the teeth with vinh lights,i have every intention of FULL POOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEERR!!!!!!!! :laughing: when given the chance:thumbsup:

I mean i would never take any high powered lights in work and strobe people in high viz coats from a distance,after all i am mature:whistle:

But it doesnt half look funny and make people laugh:thumbsup:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you did the right thing personally. I would have been the same in that situation.

I've been on night hikes to look for wildlife, and I felt that it didn't make sense to blast my lights unless we saw something in the distance that was to hard to see with everyone else's lights. Everyone was enjoying playing with their lights and I didn't want to run the atmosphere by outgunning everyone.

On the other hand, when I night hike and no one else is around other than my group of friends, of course I let loose from time to time and let the lights stretch their legs.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Loving the mixed responses here. Some of these posts make me want to upgrade my lighting selection now! Dont currently have any real lumen cannons.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
You actually really surprise me you met anyone in the park to be perfectly honest and even more so they had a torch.You were perfectly within your rights to use your hobby lights and there is no such thing as flash light etiquette it is down to choice of the user.

ps If you are still there try the Australasian bistro on the one way out system Windermere bound,they make great burgers.

Yea we were suprised it was so busy. The wife felt slightly embarrassed (utterly ashamed) at first until she saw all the other people.

Havent tried the bistro. Used to live in ambleside and the apple pie and the italian pizza place on rydal road are our usual digs! Will check out your recommendation though. Cheers

ven

Flashaholic
Loving the mixed responses here. Some of these posts make me want to upgrade my lighting selection now! Dont currently have any real lumen cannons.

:whistle:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

sr52vn would be an excellent choice imho

flood wise srminivn at 3500lm

or mm15vn 7400lm
Left is srminVN with optional bezel,right is mm15vn with 2x mtg2 leds for a neutral night becomes day

mm15vn size

Being in UK(not far from me either) you will know the size of a lenser t7.2(same as a p7)

Be careful though,you could end up with a little collection,these are some of my lights,i say little as it is to many members on here :laughing:

Oh i love spending peoples hard earned................:p

;)

ven

Flashaholic
In all seriousness (yes ok for once:rolleyes:) if i was t0 recommend a great light,and just one,look at the tk75vn or KT(Killer Throw version) or k40mvn/k40vn and even the tn35vn due to flood/throw uses(good all round )
Quick pic of tn35vn

single mtg2 and around 3500lm

Quick pic of tk75vn nect to tm15

ruke

Enlightened
Rach must be very tolerant... does she have a sister???:p

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

sr52vn would be an excellent choice imho

flood wise srminivn at 3500lm

or mm15vn 7400lm
Left is srminVN with optional bezel,right is mm15vn with 2x mtg2 leds for a neutral night becomes day

mm15vn size

Being in UK(not far from me either) you will know the size of a lenser t7.2(same as a p7)

Be careful though,you could end up with a little collection,these are some of my lights,i say little as it is to many members on here :laughing:

Oh i love spending peoples hard earned................:p

;)

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: she doesnt know 1/2 of it,well knows now because of some gents(vinh/chops) generosity,she has a sister but looks nothing like rach

:laughing:

Latest posts