MX25L3C Nichia version - is this normal?

drummer132132

Enlightened
So I received my new light today and noticed something right away with the beam of the light and wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I've noticed some "blue" in the furthest edge of the spill all the way around. I'm guessing this is normal since there are multiple reflectors in this light but wanted to ask on CPF.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I think it is. The blue is from the Anti-glare coated lens. I saw a review of a Eagletac Nichia light.
Why? I suspect the culprit is that double-AR-coated lens.
This D25A has a very unusual quirk: It has a bright blue secondary corona around the outside of its normal beam. I think the lens may actually be splitting the different wavelengths of light apart, bending blue to the far outside and letting yellow through un-hindered. This gives it a yellow, lower-CRI beam and an annoying blue halo… which kind of defeats the entire point of using a nice high-CRI emitter.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/32165

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the kit version with the stainless steel bezel? That outside ring of light could be the reflection off of the stainless bezel, too. I have noticed that pretty much all of my lights with stainless bezels have an off colored ring on the outside of the spill. If you take it off it usually disappears. If you have the non-kit version it might possibly be from the anti-reflective glass as the other poster stated.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I have the kit version. My blue Corona isn't terrible just not used to seeing something like that. I will test it without the bezel and see what happens.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Just took off the bezel and still saw the blue. On a side note the diffuser is awesome. Didn't know it would change the beam profile so much.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is likely from the anti-reflective coating in that case. Yes, the diffuser works well and gives a wall of light effect.

eff

Enlightened
I checked mine on all 4 modes, and didn't notice any blue corona (fyi, I got the kit version, with the silver bezel.)

drummer132132

Enlightened
I only saw it when you put the light next to a wall sideways. Lvl 2 or higher in modes you might see it. I'll try to take a picture if able.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Anyone know how to upload pics from their phone? I see the upload option but says I don't have permission. Anyone willing to post it for me if I have to go that route?

I have a pic that shows the "blue" I was talking about.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to post images on CPF is to upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket and then paste the links here.

drummer132132

Enlightened
In the first photo there is only four with the blue but all six have it.

eff

Enlightened
This is what I get with mine :
Low mode

Medium

Turbo (pic automatically contrasted by the phone camera, so lumen output might not be rendered correctly)

When putting the light parallel to the wall, we can see a bit of blue glare at the base of the beam.
I suspect this might be caused by the light hitting the lens at a certain angle, causing the lens to decompose it, and display only a fraction of the light spectrum (ie the blue part).
I know some of the manufacturers apply some len coating to maximize the amount of light exiting the lens. Maybe adding more coating would have allowed the lens to display the full light spectrum, hence reducing the blue glare at the base/edge of the beam, when shining the light sideways. However we would have ended up with a greener tint, which in the case of HiCri Nichia, wouldn't do :)

Last edited:

drummer132132

Enlightened
So basically it's normal and enjoy the light 😄

eff

Enlightened
So basically it's normal and enjoy the light 

It looks like it's normal, unless there are a few samples out there without the blue glare effect, to prove otherwise

markr6

Flashaholic
I picked one of these up recently and mine doesn't have any type of blue at all. I definitely would not call it normal.