*new* Sunwayman D80A and D40C

kj2

Flashaholic
Sunwayman has release two new light, in their D-series. The D80A and D40C.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-8*AA-Double-headed-Twice-Powerful-Flashlight
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-2000-Lumens-2*18650-Double-headed-Flashlight

34q0ne1.jpg
2vnhqjc.jpg

Taz80

Enlightened
They are nice looking lights. The D40C is 132mm about 5.5 in which is pretty compact,very nice, but I wonder how they are getting 498m about 47000cd out of reflectors that small. I would also like to see a mode between 33lm and 390lm thats quite a gap. Look at me already complaining and they are not even out yet and I'll probably get one anyway because I like the looks and compact design.

Wolf359

Enlightened
Nice looking lights indeed, i have 3 of the D40A's and love em to bits only upgrade to make it perfect would be mode and on/off buttons like the F40A and now the D80A. For me the size, the weight, poor low runtime (and cost?) of the D80A will be the main draw backs, at 353g without batteries add 214g for 8 eneloop batteries makes it a whooping 567g or 1lb 4oz in old money. The D40A weights in at 271g with batteries and is very comfortable on my belt at work and to be honest i dislike the side by side emitters, I just don't see it as a practical light for most applications. Size wise it is half an inch shorter and half an inch wider than the LD41 and is almost twice as heavy empty as the LD41. One final hit against it for me is the Low runtimes 33 Lumens for 18hrs, my D40A gives 30 Lumens for 31hrs so it fails to be a shft emergency light and to be honest that is the only test that matters to me.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Love the 8xAA. 2000 lumens with AA is a dream.

I would have bought the D40A but the little itty-bitty switches just don't do it for me. Using the thing with gloves on must be impossible; too small and too close together. This 8xAAmodel looks better switch wise, but it still looks small and difficult to use with gloves on.

Would love to see either model with just one big solid ON switch.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
I just got my d80a a few days ago. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but I absolutely love it! I have the nitecore ea4, and I was fairly disappointed in that. The d80a blows it out of the water.

Very happy with this purchase. I would like a holster for it though, if anybody has any solutions, post them please.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering the D80A (waiting for the neutral white version), but reading the specs and the review and it appears they've taken away the moonlight mode. :shakehead

And, 31 hours on low for the D40A is a lot better than 18 hours on low for the D80A (approximately the same lumens), since part of my reason for considering an 8xAA light was the extra run time.

It looks like the D40A is a better choice for me. And for the price, I could get two D40A's and strap them together with duct tape to get the 2000 lumen output! ;)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where else did you see reviews?
The only one I found is the one I posted

Yes, just the one you posted. Basically, it appears that it doesn't have a moonlight mode, which is what I was trying to confirm. Also, the poor run-time on low seems odd, though I doubt anyone has tested it to see if it's really that bad.

ChibiM

Enlightened
No review in English yet?
anybody actually have it? I sold my nitecore EA8 mainly for the reason that I didnt like to us 8AA batteries. Thats a lot of batteries.
I think 4AA is about the max for me. The Sundayman D40A is one of my favorite lights (although also one of the least used, as it is sitting in my emergency bag).
What do you, owners of the D80A, think about the amount of batteries it takes? a problem, or nothing to worry about?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
No review in English yet?
anybody actually have it? I sold my nitecore EA8 mainly for the reason that I didnt like to us 8AA batteries. Thats a lot of batteries.
I think 4AA is about the max for me. The Sundayman D40A is one of my favorite lights (although also one of the least used, as it is sitting in my emergency bag).
What do you, owners of the D80A, think about the amount of batteries it takes? a problem, or nothing to worry about?
If 8AA batteries was a lot of batteries for you to use in the EA8, the D80A would be in the same boat. The only thing to worry about is having 8 batteries on hand that are charged, along with the differences in runtime. Output may wash that category out depending on what you are looking for in a light, but that one is up to you mate. ;)

Txemizo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have just registered with CPF as I received my D40C today from a seller in Hong Kong and thought I would give some impressions about this torch. When I bought it I couldn't find any information anywhere about this 'small' beast. Hopefully my impressions will help anyone on the fence about getting one.

I have a couple of thrunites and have had many maglites in the past. I am no expert but I admit I enjoy handling a good torch when it gets dark (here in UK it gets dark before 4pm in winter), I thought I would mention my torches as a point of reference, so here we go:

-The quality feels great, no 'clouding' on the finish as described in the German forum and no scratches or imperfections in the anodisation. Mine is matte black which gives the torch a very professional look and the feeling of handling a tool more than a torch/flashlight, if that makes any sense.
-It feels hefty with the batteries and although it is small in size it isn't light at all, I don't think it is intended for EDF, it seems intended for throw and although not much there is a bit of spill too, which is quite pleasant.
-The buttons have a mild 'click' on them and are made of rubber. I would have preferred if they were made of plastic as that way they would have been more durable. Failing this, a replacement button set would have been nice, as they seem to be easily accesible under the plate held by the 6 small screws in case they happen to tear or perish.
-It does get hot after a few minutes, it seems there is a 3 minute step-down but on mine this hasn't happened, I am not sure if I prefer it this way or not, I haven't had it for long and am not sure about it.
-In answer to one of the posts above, I also struggled to get something to carry this torch but found that the Maxpedition TC-1 is a perfect match in size. It doesn't come with a pouch and I think this would have been a suitable addition as the measures of this torch are slightly awkward, making it hard to find a suitable holster.
-The beam is very well centred despite it being a double-reflector torch, there is a very well defined centre spot.
-The threads came well oiled and are very tight, which I prefer as it gives it a quality feel to it.
-The LEDs are perfectly centred and there are no imperfections on them or the reflector.
-The order of the modes go from Highest (Turbo) to Low. There is also a strobe by double tapping the 'M' button, and SOS by tapping it 3 times. The 2 hidden modes are of no use to me so I am happy that they are hidden. In my opinion 33 lumens are enough as low, as I mentioned above, I don't think a firefly mode would make sense in this torch, which seems to be intended mainly as a thrower. In practice, I don't see myself using it to go to the loo at night, due to its size and weight.
-And finally, it is mind boggling that they missed the 'e' in 'surface', but hey ho, I guess that day they run out of white ink. No biggie.

Despite the minor criticisms, I am quite happy with this torch, probably because I didn't intend to use it as a EDC torch, just as a good thrower when I am out and about. It does throw a lot of light at a distance and its size makes it easy to carry, if you find a good pouch.

Please accept my apologies as I am not a reviewer and this is as much information as I could think of. I have been as objective as possible, despite the fact that I am happy with my purchase. I hope it helps a little if you are thinking of getting one, I am quite happy with this one as it is exactly what I was looking for and hope it will last me.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Sunwayman or Maxpedition, it is just my opinion/experience with these 2 brands and if it is inappropriate mentioning them here please feel free to delete the information related to them.

I have no authority to post photos as I am a newbie, so I guess you will have to take my word for it.

Cheerio,
Txemizo

Last edited:

Txemizo

Newly Enlightened
Ok so further to my post, I have done some tests and I have found that my torch does have a 3 minute step down, which I have decided I prefer as it gets quite hot. Also, to access SOS mode a double tap is needed, after the first double tap to access the strobe mode.

While the torch gets hot, the batteries do not, which is a relief as I use 18650 batteries with this torch.

Anyway, that's all, I hope this helps to anyone considering the D40C :)

Bruno28

Enlightened
Nice descriptive review. I think i will be happy with my purchase. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Any beam shots Comparing to others?

Last edited: