Mt-g2 emitter. Need one again

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Why has the MT-G2 emitter not been used with Nimh batteries? I loved my old eagletac sx25l3 because of the mtg2 but decided to sell because of the multi cell li-ion setup. Swapped All but one of my lights to Nimh versions.

Has anybody made one?

onetrickpony

Enlightened
You don't see them because of the mtg2's forward voltage requirement. You need six volts, and nimh batteries only provide 1.2 volts per cell. There are very few boost drivers out there to begin with, so you are basically stuck with a buck driver that reduces the input voltage to six volts. AA batteries can only deliver so much current, if it was me I'd go with at least a 3 parallel arrangement, but you'd have to put at least six cells in series to get the voltage that you need, maybe seven for any kind of regulated runtime.

In other words, at minimum, a 6D flashlight with a 6s/3p battery carrier, 21 nimh aa's, heatsink, driver, mtg2 led, and all the materials, tools, and ability, and you're there.

Not trying to be discouraging, but it would be a challenge to say the least.

Edit: Just noticed you didn't mention aa batteries, I just assumed. Just the same, even if you went with d size nimh, you'd need at least six of them. I'm curious how much current a real d size (Not a double a in a d size package) nimh can provide. Google time :)

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i build mag with mtg2 and 6 eneloops. works great. also simple driver like this works great with mtg2.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
around 2A, with that driver, runtime is about 1 hour, not exactly the most practical light.

Hey, it's cool that it works. I run two 26650 direct drive and get 4 amps. I'd bet two hours at least on my batteries, but I need to get a driver back in there. I forgot to fasten the last one down and fried it while flipping the light around. :/

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a TK41 style light work with an MT-G2? Even 8 aa's aren't THAT much capacity, but voltage wise it'd work right?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if this has been asked before.

Why has the MT-G2 emitter not been used with Nimh batteries? I loved my old eagletac sx25l3 because of the mtg2 but decided to sell because of the multi cell li-ion setup. Swapped All but one of my lights to Nimh versions.

Has anybody made one?
Due to the forward voltage of the MT-G2 you'll really need 2xLi-ion to power it. Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on this. Running Li-ion cells is no more risky than running a petrol car (or lawn mower), you know petrol that highly explosive, combustible liquid.

BTW - if you worry about running multiple cells in series, you should check out the current radio controlled car and plane scene. It's fairly standard to run anything from 2S to 6S. Slightly different chemistry (LiPO). But in essence similar risks to Li-ion. But the truth is, if it really was so dangerous, then it would happen and certainly wouldn't be legal in places like the UK, were you can't even carry a blade over 3" long or own a hand gun.

Last edited:

Croquette

Enlightened
Not pratical at all but a Solarforce K3 mtg2 with enough extender to put 6 eneloop in it... it works... a bit long, but it works...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 6? I would have thought 8 but hmm. We'll see. Can 6 even push it that hard?