Preon REVO still king of AAA?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at quite a few single-AAA lights recently.
It seems to me that the Preon REVO, although discontinued a while ago, is still the king of the single-AAA format, in an overall sense.
Yes, I see there is room for some dissent, because the max lumens is not quite as high as some other newer lights are, and the 3 lumen low might seem a bit too high for the super-dim moonlight fans.
However, with that 66 hour runtime on low, and a very decent 75 lumens on high, and a very useful 25 lumens in the middle, current controlled modes, and very solid build quality, I find it hard to beat in an overall sense.

I would love to hear some suggestions for anything that anyone feels is a better choice in the single-AAA format.
Should I look for a 2nd-hand REVO, or is there another choice that has been eluding my sight?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think that many would argue that another discontinued AAA light, the LF2XT, is the real king of the single-AAA format with its very versatile UI which gives the user the ability to program the light to suit their individual needs and also allows a lower moonlight level and a higher maximum level if or when they are required.

Even the standard LF2XTs were great but they were further enhanced by Steve Ku with a beautiful Titanium shell and then by Jeff Hanko who not only machined the Titanium shell but enhanced the tactile feel of the switch and encased the body and tail with tritium vials giving a hypnotic 3-D effect.

So, if anyone can afford it, the Jeff Hanko LF2XT is the ultimate AAA light in my opinion and is still just about available from Jeff Hanko himself or on the B/S/T sometimes.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that many would argue that another discontinued AAA light, the LF2XT, is the real king of the single-AAA format with its very versatile UI which gives the user the ability to program the light to suit their individual needs and also allows a lower moonlight level and a higher maximum level if or when they are required.

Even the standard LF2XTs were great but they were further enhanced by Steve Ku with a beautiful Titanium shell and then by Jeff Hanko who not only machined the Titanium shell but enhanced the tactile feel of the switch and encased the body and tail with tritium vials giving a hypnotic 3-D effect.

So, if anyone can afford it, the Jeff Hanko LF2XT is the ultimate AAA light in my opinion and is still just about available from Jeff Hanko himself or on the B/S/T sometimes.

No real argument against any of those great lights.
Just that they over my price range.
I probably should have mentioned that. I'm considering around $50 or less for the purchase, but I could be persuaded to go a little more for the right light.
I don't want to spend $200 on a Mako, or $300 on an Ottavino, or things such as that, as nice as they may be.

easilyled

Flashaholic
You might like the Fenix E99 Ti LED Flashlight Lmtd Edition which is still available from a store by the same name for under $50.

It claims a low of 4 lumens, mid 27 lumens, high 100 lumens. I don't think it has last-mode memory, you have to shift through the levels. AFAIK, its constant current.

The one gripe I have about the design is that there is not much metal covering the lanyard hole and I would worry that this might eventually cause the thin bridge of metal to break if its attached by a splitring to a keychain.

walterr839

Enlightened
I've been using 4-7 Preon 1 with a clicky top running a lion cell for sometime now. Descent light is a very pocketable format

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I just got two in the mail and they're nice, one for me and the other will be a gift. Beautiful finish and they feel solid in the hand without being too heavy. Brightness on high isn't the greatest of my AAA's, but it's fine. Overall another very cool light from Fenix and the limited edition part doesn't hurt.

You might like the Fenix E99 Ti LED Flashlight Lmtd Edition which is still available from a store by the same name for under $50.

It claims a low of 4 lumens, mid 27 lumens, high 100 lumens. I don't think it has last-mode memory, you have to shift through the levels. AFAIK, its constant current.

The one gripe I have about the design is that there is not much metal covering the lanyard hole and I would worry that this might eventually cause the thin bridge of metal to break if its attached by a splitring to a keychain.

mobilerd

Newly Enlightened
I like the Maratac AAA. I don't need moonlight. Only complaint I've heard is the M-L-H switching. Check it out.

choombak

Enlightened
Simple lights tend to be reliable. If a light doesn't work when it should, it is not a King. I am sure the number of Kings equal the number of cpfers. Haha!

Oh, and for the record, I consider the Arc AAA to be the King of AAA formats. After over a decade, my Arc just works.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some good replies, thanks!
Keep 'em coming. I'd love to hear all opinions.
Haven't bought anything yet.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix e01 or especially 5 is to me. Twist but still with a spring, single mediumish mode.

gunga

Flashaholic
The revo is still King for me. I've had one in my keychain for years. I also have a couple backups since they are discontinued.

All mine are modded with Nichia 219. So, not the most glamorous AAA light but my reliable stand by.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well with the LF2XT (my best choice) and the REVO out of production I would choose a Fenix E99Ti (or a heavier E05 s/s)

xnevf7.jpg

The 99 has a very good beam and rightly spaced levels with an excellent 30 hours on low. Besides I prefer to EDC a light that is still in production so in case I lose it I don't have to weep for too long ...
Currently my LF2XT never leaves my property and is used more in the house than in the garden, you never know. :p

jag-engr

Enlightened
I still EDC my Preon REVO SS.

I have handled the Fenix E05 V2, which is admittedly very nice, but I still prefer the REVO. Granted, I haven't had a chance to handle a Fenix E99Ti.

How are the threads on the E99Ti? I have purchased titanium lights before and had a terrible time with the threads galling

fyrstormer

Banned
Um...the Ottavino doesn't cost $300.

The Fenix E99Ti looked great, until I saw it uses a multi-twist UI. I hate multi-twist UIs. If they can't do progressive-twist, then just make it single-mode.

Regarding the galling effect on titanium threads, my special TiTi Twister lube fixes that, but it's out of stock right now. I need to make another batch now that I'm not in the middle of moving to a new house anymore.

Last edited:

Garanddad

Newly Enlightened
Still carry a Revo in my pocket. Also carry a HDS, but the Revo survived a year in Afghanistan and will continue to be my EDC.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another big Revo fan - an SS going on 4 yrs on my keychain. Could be the most abused light I own sharing company with my keys, the number of times I've dropped them, and the fact that it there is no rotation light to take its place. Still looks and runs like new. My Revo's spec are 1.5/20/80, which seems accurate and good mode spacing for a AAA, IMHO. I'd go for a used one - I would buy mine from me for full retail - can't really say that for any other light I own though. Wish I had a chance to try the LF2XT, that light sounds awesome too.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I respectfully disagree. It's the Preon 1 Ti warm bin for me :) it's even been through the wash (accidentally) twice.