Jet Beam JET II IBS Diode upgrade? (UPDATE: SUCCESSFUL UPGRADE, PICTURES INCLUDED)

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hello, Need some help from experienced people.

I won't a Jet Beam JET II IBS from Me+Light=Addiction and its a great light.
Its compact and has a good throw at 225lumen with a XR-E Q5 bin.
I wanted to see if I can upgrade the diode to a XML2 U3 to get around 500+ lumens on a compact little thrower :p

I did contact Vihn, but it would cost $70 for upgrade and the shipping, so easily would go over $100 which isn't worth. So was thinking of doing it myself.
What need to be done? Is it as simple as swapping the diode or would i need a new driver installed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Jet Beam JET II IBS Diode upgrade?

Would love an XM-L2 in my old Jet II, but that's a whole other level of heat needing to be sinked, and the reflector is guaranteed to be all wrong for that kind of larger-surface-area swap. I instead got a $30 Xeno E03, which doesn't have the legendary IBS interface, but it does have similar build quality, and an XM-L powered by 1x14500 for 500 lumens from a lipstick tube pocket light.

nightshade

Enlightened

Still one of my favorite lights. I'm with StarHalo, the XML isn't my first emitter of choice for the JB II. I like the XP-E and XP-G2 in the warmer realm. IIRC, cpf member AlexGT has a informative thread about emitter swaps in the JB II IBS. This picture is 2-3 years old, but gives you a idea of what is under the white, insulating and centering disk. Very carefully remove the white disc and reuse. The emitter is easy to swap, I used a tiny copper disc under this 14mm XP-G2 mod for height and heat. It easily is twice as bright as the XRE and throw is retained. The beam profile with the XP-G2 is nice and ringless, much nicer than the old XRE rings.

2pyrkau.jpg

Bruno28

Enlightened

Still one of my favorite lights. I'm with StarHalo, the XML isn't my first emitter of choice for the JB II. I like the XP-E and XP-G2 in the warmer realm. IIRC, cpf member AlexGT has a informative thread about emitter swaps in the JB II IBS. This picture is 2-3 years old, but gives you a idea of what is under the white, insulating and centering disk. Very carefully remove the white disc and reuse. The emitter is easy to swap, I used a tiny copper disc under this 14mm XP-G2 mod for height and heat. It easily is twice as bright as the XRE and throw is retained. The beam profile with the XP-G2 is nice and ringless, much nicer than the old XRE rings.

2pyrkau.jpg
Can you help me?
I looked for thread but all the pictures are out.
How difficult are the swaps? Just soldering the two +/-?

Last edited:

Bruno28

Enlightened

Which one should I go with?

XP-G2
XP-L
XM-L2

nightshade

Enlightened

Yes, it is a easy mod. Every mod I have goofed up has come from rushing the work. Don't rush and you will do fine. I used a small drill bit to create two openings in the white disk. The drilling was done by hand. I used two 90 degree dental picks to slowly lift the disc away from the emitter. The disc will distort and bend if you are not careful. I prefer to reuse the disc for centering and solder joint protection. That will leave the XRE 14mm board exposed. Unsolder the + and - contacts. Using a pick or probe lift the emitter.
Jetbeam may, or may not, :confused: have used a thermal media under the emitter. There is a hole under the emitter base, that is normal. Clean the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. I use 99% isopropyl and lint free electronic swaps.
Clean the bottom of your emitter of choice and apply a thin, even film of Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Thermal Compound. Solder your + and - pads, keep the joints clean and small, to allow the reused disk to sit level. Center the led within the disc, and when happy with centering, reseat the disc and test. There is liberal play in the JB II reflector and its movement up and down in relation to the emitter. I chose to add a copper disk for a height matching the original emitter and additional heat sinking. There are now copper boards that can be easily sourced and minimally modded to provide the same effect, if desired. There are many superb tutorials on CPF from expert modders on every step of emitter soldering, centering, reflowing, etc. They are a great group of folks that got me started on my modding addiction. Take your time, and enjoy that upgraded JetBeam Jet II !!!

gunga

Flashaholic

Go XP-G2 if you want throw. Go XM-L2 if you want floodier. No comment on XP-L. Remove plastic disk, and unsolder/solder +/-. That's it.

Bruno28

Enlightened

Yes, it is a easy mod. Every mod I have goofed up has come from rushing the work. Don't rush and you will do fine. I used a small drill bit to create two openings in the white disk. The drilling was done by hand. I used two 90 degree dental picks to slowly lift the disc away from the emitter. The disc will distort and bend if you are not careful. I prefer to reuse the disc for centering and solder joint protection. That will leave the XRE 14mm board exposed. Unsolder the + and - contacts. Using a pick or probe lift the emitter.
Jetbeam may, or may not, :confused: have used a thermal media under the emitter. There is a hole under the emitter base, that is normal. Clean the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. I use 99% isopropyl and lint free electronic swaps.
Clean the bottom of your emitter of choice and apply a thin, even film of Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Thermal Compound. Solder your + and - pads, keep the joints clean and small, to allow the reused disk to sit level. Center the led within the disc, and when happy with centering, reseat the disc and test. There is liberal play in the JB II reflector and its movement up and down in relation to the emitter. I chose to add a copper disk for a height matching the original emitter and additional heat sinking. There are now copper boards that can be easily sourced and minimally modded to provide the same effect, if desired. There are many superb tutorials on CPF from expert modders on every step of emitter soldering, centering, reflowing, etc. They are a great group of folks that got me started on my modding addiction. Take your time, and enjoy that upgraded JetBeam Jet II !!!
Thanks for explaining! :)

Do you have any pictures? Do i Remove the whole LED board? or would I need to unsolder just the diode?

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened

A copper star definitely makes heatsinking les of an issue, but my theory has been for some time that the thermal path is more important. Heatsink paste, good metal to metal contact, and use mechanical means to fasten parts whenever possible like screwing down the star.

Bruno28

Enlightened

A copper star definitely makes heatsinking les of an issue, but my theory has been for some time that the thermal path is more important. Heatsink paste, good metal to metal contact, and use mechanical means to fasten parts whenever possible like screwing down the star.
Thanks. Is the star just held by thermal paste on this light?

nightshade

Enlightened

Yes, if you are lucky, the star may have thermal material under it. I have worked on several that had none. The white disc was the "glue" so to speak. And, yes, the entire led board will be removed, there is not much to it. And very easy to improve upon thermal management if you wish.

Bruno28

Enlightened

Yes, if you are lucky, the star may have thermal material under it. I have worked on several that had none. The white disc was the "glue" so to speak. And, yes, the entire led board will be removed, there is not much to it. And very easy to improve upon thermal management if you wish.
Ok thanks
The whole under the diode star, should I fill with tbermal paste to help conduct the heat?

Also how much brighter is it with the xp-g? Double the original xp-e?

onetrickpony

Enlightened

The general idea with thermal paste is to fill in the tiny gaps between two pieces of metal but no more than that. Screws will squeeze out any extra when you tighten them.

Potting compound is designed to harden up to an extent and help to get the heat from electronic components to the metal body of the light. It also provides a lot of shock absorption.

fyrstormer

Banned

Go with the XP-G2 instead of the XM-L. The XP-G2 is a direct successor to the XP-E emitter in the Jet-II, so its power consumption is comparable, and since it's a more efficient emitter that means it will actually generate *less* heat.

Bruno28

Enlightened

Go with the XP-G2 instead of the XM-L. The XP-G2 is a direct successor to the XP-E emitter in the Jet-II, so its power consumption is comparable, and since it's a more efficient emitter that means it will actually generate *less* heat.
Ok. What about the xp-L? That looks like I can put out 650 lumens from a 1.5amp. While the xp-g is only 580 lumen from a 1.5 amp.

Bruno28

Enlightened

The general idea with thermal paste is to fill in the tiny gaps between two pieces of metal but no more than that. Screws will squeeze out any extra when you tighten them.

Potting compound is designed to harden up to an extent and help to get the heat from electronic components to the metal body of the light. It also provides a lot of shock absorption.
Ok I'll keep it empty. Didn't know there were screws to keep it fixed in place. Hope the new emitter won't get hotter than current.

nightshade

Enlightened

I would only use paste on contacting surfaces, the hole is best covered by copper or aluminum material to shed heat. If I were to mod this light today, I would use one of the copper sinkpads that are designed for the xp-g2 emitter. Easily available. Even the 16mm sinkpad can be dremeled quickly to correct diameter for the JB mod.
Again I would say twice as bright, with increased run time. That said, on the highest setting you are still generating lots of heat. This isn't a SAR light, it's a practical pocket rocket to me. Mine on it's 50% factory setting is as bright than any of the original XRE on the highest (100%) setting.

Bruno28

Enlightened

I would only use paste on contacting surfaces, the hole is best covered by copper or aluminum material to shed heat. If I were to mod this light today, I would use one of the copper sinkpads that are designed for the xp-g2 emitter. Easily available. Even the 16mm sinkpad can be dremeled quickly to correct diameter for the JB mod.
Again I would say twice as bright, with increased run time. That said, on the highest setting you are still generating lots of heat. This isn't a SAR light, it's a practical pocket rocket to me. Mine on it's 50% factory setting is as bright than any of the original XRE on the highest (100%) setting.
Nice that's getting me excited. Cause it's a great light in stock form. TWICE will be even better.
What diode tint did you use CW, NW or Warm?

nightshade

Enlightened

I don't remember what bin, but it is a early NW. I like the light enough to have spent good parts of 2009-2011 locating 6 spares. It is one of those lights I like using and having around. The Mag-esque candle mode can be very handy. It was also a very popular light at my work. If you keep your O-rings maintained, the light is very waterproof. I hope you enjoy yours.