compatible 18650 batteries for MX25L3C ?

D7v7d

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

Ordered a EagleTac MX25L3C kit flashlight with Nichia 219 B11 LEDs. Researched the battery requirements but information I'm certain about is a bit incomplete so am hoping to receive some advice from you experts thankyou. The EagleTac spec web page for this model shows:

Compatible battery (diameter/length)
18650: (18-18.8mm/67-68.5mm)

Have not bought any of these 18650 batteries before and quickly noticed dimensional parameters vary, button-top versus flat, and protected versus unprotected. So read up on such. Also looked at the useful 2012 Battery test/review summary thread herein and others. Having looked at the dimension specifications of various 18650 lithium ion 3.7v batteries, have found not many high drain batteries of greater than 5 ampere maximum current draw actually are within that size range. The one battery often used is the very expensive EagleTac 18650 3400mAh protected Li-ion Battery which is priced high at $19 each. Am considering buying 3 of those plus 3 spares of lower cost for usual charging swap in out and a charger.

Without spending even more time hunting down all the possible compatible battery models am hoping some others have already gone down this road and can pass on what other 18650 batteries models are known to fit and work with the MX25L3C?

(Note posted herein years ago before buying Fenix products but under a forgotten user ID. Also have worked a few decades as a tech mostly in electronic engineering groups here in Silicon Valley. )

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Battery Junction and Illumination Supply sell high drain cells ranging from 10 to 35 amp versions.

The NCR18650PF cell is a non-protected 10 amp high drain. Should cost around $12 each. Don't forget to purchase a good charger and pay attention to when the lamp starts to dim, pull the cells and check the voltage. Since there is no over discharge protection circuit you can damage the cell by running it down too low.

D7v7d

Newly Enlightened
Both Battery Junction and Illumination Supply sell high drain cells ranging from 10 to 35 amp versions.

The NCR18650PF cell is a non-protected 10 amp high drain. Should cost around $12 each. Don't forget to purchase a good charger and pay attention to when the lamp starts to dim, pull the cells and check the voltage. Since there is no over discharge protection circuit you can damage the cell by running it down too low.

Thanks NNA, I had looked at that but the size was out of range. This is what shows on the Amazon page for that battery:

Size: 65.09mm tall 18.20mm wide Max Discharge Current: 10A Nominal Voltage: 3.6v Capacity: 2900mAh

My suspicion has been that batteries somewhat outside the EagleTac spec actually might fit their battery compartment and the spec is maybe a marketing gimmick they narrowly spec'd on purpose to steer customers into buying their pricy battery. Thus some confirmation from others with the flashlight that use the above would show that.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac 3100ma batteries can be bought for less. Also, Keeppower protected 3100 or 3400 are good options.

D7v7d

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr T for that tip. Indeed these Keeppower's for 2 are just $14 each Amazon. A Panasonic NCR18650B Size: (L)68.90mm (D)18.60mm.

Also found information that the dimensions are +-0.3mm thus the length could be as much as 69.2 mm that is 0.7mm longer than the EagleTac spec. That was why I originally rejected that model as compatible. Not having seen one of these flashlights, I can only speculate how the battery compartments and contacts are designed. My expectation is that these still ought to fit. Battery holders have a spring mechanism at one end to increase tension of battery metal against contact metal. That is often the most likely point of trouble with low voltage, high current battery equipment because any oxide on the metal surfaces or contamination is a current times resistance voltage drop that can drop available voltage below operating thresholds whenever circuits peak with current.

These Orbtronic for 4 are just $13.75 each, another NCR18650B cell. So will decline to buy those EagleTac batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ8W3KC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

They also cell a 2 pack so bought the 6 plus a Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 Battery Charger to complete my system.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CAD6AUE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

About the oddest Amazon purchse I've yet experienced. Note I have bought tons of things from Amazon for years. Amazon was charging full standard shipping for each unit regardless of what I did. About $20 total even though all items could fit in the same single shipping box! So instead went directly to the Orbtronic site and set up to buy from them that using my credit card including shipping was a modest $10 less though they were using more costly USPS shipping instead of UPS. So at the very end of that order process a window pops up asking if I would like to instead use their Amazon account for the payment. Hmmm? So went there and am instead getting it shipped for the same ten bucks less but via Amazon.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their are springs on both ends of the Eagletac light so there is range of cell sizes that can fit. Those batteries should work great for you, too. Enjoy the light, the Nichia 219 hi CRI LEDs are my personal favorite.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Those batteries should work fine. I have some and have used them in my MX25L3. Primarily, I use Eagletac 3100 bstteries, mostly because I got a great deal in them. You are right to get 6 batteries, two sets of three.

ArcticHighlander

Newly Enlightened
What is the maximum length battery anyone has tried in this flashlight? I was considering getting 6 FastTech protected 3400's that are 69.4mm but want to be sure they won't be too long. Since both sides are spring loaded I suspect it would be okay up to 70mm?