praise for G2

notos&w

Enlightened
i bought a G2 for 29.99 from botach (before the price reduction was announced) in november. since that time i have grown very fond of this light. i cannot even think of a single reason to justify buying an e2e to replace it.

saturday i had to change a belt on my car. of course it was the one closest to the engine and all the others had to come off. man did i get greasy. my G2 provided very vital light, cleaned up w/ 409 and survived being dropped several times, once from the top of the car. not a scratch. aluminum is great but cant do that.
the bulb is fine and the lens shows no wear.

id love a pocket clip but can live without it. this little light is awesome and at an awesome price.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Nitrolon G2 is my primary EDC. Nice brite, little light. Too bad it has a "tactical" type switch. If not for that, I'd be giving them away as gifts.

P.S. Like your sig. line.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my unfamiliarity with flashlight terms, but what does EDC mean?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Day Carry

See Darell's Acronyms List
smile.gif

There is a link at the very bottom of most CPF pages

***Edit***

Where are my manners
twak.gif
, just noticed it's your first post... Welcome aboard cliff.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Yes, praises indeed for the G2! Do not underestimate it. Other 6V SF metal models cost nearly twice as much the G2, yet aside from no clip or lock out tailcap it's functionally the same (ie. same lamp & accessories compatibility).

I've tried to 'peel' a layer off the Nitrolon finish with a folding knife cos I got nothing better to do, but was unsuccessful. It really is a tough finish!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
It was a $20 no name. It rusted on first contact with seawater. Buying sharpening equipment would cost more than to replace the knife.
wink.gif

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
I highly recomend adding a G2Z bezel. Aesthetics are improved quite a bit, IMHO.

Respectfully,
Dale

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
A clickie tailcap would make the G2 (or G2Z) killer EDC lights. Not as small as E2, but about as lightweight, with P61 option. I'm currently mulling over picking up a G2Z for EDC on days when I'm carrying the light in a jacket pocket or fanny pack (E2 still top choice when carried in jeans pocket).

Joe

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a yellow G2 yesterday and I think it's going to replace the E2 that I leave in my car's map pocket.

iddibhai

Enlightened
http://outdoor-warehouse.com/surefire-detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=g2

US$32 w/ ground shipping (free ground over 100$). can't get much better than that. Heck, i'm gonna write them and ask if I can drive over and buy in person, they're only a a couple minutes down the street! thinking it might make a good car glovebox light, what you guys thing? either this, or something like the CMG Infiniti Ultra, can't decide.

notos&w

Enlightened
someone very smart (not me) pointed out that a kroll switch will work as a makeshift clickie. just add a metal ring around the base for conduction.

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
MTF,

No. The G2Z currently comes only in black--hence the bezel is black also.

Respectfully,
Dale

Unabomber

Newly Enlightened
Can someone verify that the G2Z bezel will fit on the G2? I JUST got off the phone and the folks at Surefire said no. Sure looks like it here:

sf1.jpg

I ordered a G2Z bezel anyway and Debbie at Surefire said to call her back if it fits. Wonder if they will give me some sore of refund?
rolleyes.gif

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Unabomber,

I can assure you that the G2Z bezel fits the G2 as pictured above, cosmetically and functionally intact.

Respectfully,
Dale

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much is the G2Z bezel? I might have to get a black G2 to get a black G2Z bezel for it... haha. They look like different shades of black in that picture tho, the bezel looks darker.

Unabomber

Newly Enlightened
They are currently on back order and they are $14.72 plus around $4 or so for shipping. This is a direct order from Surefire. If the bezel does fit, as suggested by Dale and the picture, Debbie is going to get an earful!

Like someone said in another thread...competency at Surefire is a mixed bag, it just depends on who answers the phone. The first guy I spoke with worked in "technical support" and ASSURED me that I was wasting my money and that the G2Z bezel, as well as the G2Z tail switch don't fit the G2. This was done on purpose because the G2 is an "economy" light and they didn't want to have any consumer upgrade ability. The G2's purpose is to wet the appetite I suppose.

I told Debbie that I only wanted the G2Z bezel because it wouldn't roll as easily as the G2's. Little do they know that I really want it due to the pyrex lens. When the A14 and the P91 come in, I will have the G3!!! Will post results when my parts come in.

If the bezel does fit, the guy at Surefire's tech support is going to get one of these: