Olight S10-L2 light coming on in pocket issue fixed

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd start a new thread so others could find it easier. This thread is in response to my own question posted here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/392303

I have fixed the issue of the Olight S10-L2 coming on while in your pocket or clipped to your pocket or any other accidental activation of the switch. I attempted to cut off the blue button/switch cover. In the process, I slightly pried up and the whole blue switch cover popped out. I also trimmed off the 2 protrusions you can see in the photo so it's just a flat, translucent rubber button, below the surface of the surrounding stainless ring. The rubber is still tight so I believe the water resistance is retained.

I'm guessing one might be able to carefully pry out the blue button instead of trying to cut it off like I did. Although, maybe the cutting around the edge weakened the lip that held the button in place.

20141105_213756_zps7d6dfd36.jpg

The bottom side of the button (switch cover).
20141105_222755_zps2749ea31.jpg

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update after a month carrying my modified S10 L2. I haven't had one single accidental activation of the switch since I removed the blue switch cover (button). Love the fact I can once again carry my favorite EDC light without wondering if it had come on while clipped to my pocket and has a dead battery.

D6859

Enlightened
I think this is applicable to S15 too. Another tip was to glue rubber ring or somethin around the switch, but I haven't had time to play with glue (and it's always too messy). Let's see if this works out. I'm afraid it voids the warranty though...

D6859

Enlightened
Grml... Unfortunately I popped out the metal ring too. Now the white rubber won't stay in securely unless I glue the ring back. It wont stay if I only press it. So do not touch the metal ring!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grml... Unfortunately I popped out the metal ring too. Now the white rubber won't stay in securely unless I glue the ring back. It wont stay if I only press it. So do not touch the metal ring!
I'm wondering if I just got lucky by trying to cut off the blue button first, which resulted in it coming out.

I wonder if one had a pair of flush cut nipper pliers, they could try to cut off the blue button that way. This would result in downward pressure being applied to the ring, aiding in preventing it from coming off.

Capolini

Banned
lol!! Didn't you know this light has a SOFT LOCK OUT AND A HARD LOCK OUT?

Soft lock out:From off press and hold ~ 3 sec past "moonlight mode" then release.

Hard lock out: Slightly twist tail cap and power is immediately terminated.

The hard lock out is the best way of assuring you the light won't go on accidentally.

Your idea was creative but unnecessary! :) Could lead to other issues as the other gentlemen indicated.

Your way MAY be a little more convenient [although twisting/untwisting a tail cap takes a second] but you LOST your warranty.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol!! Didn't you know this light has a SOFT LOCK OUT AND A HARD LOCK OUT?

Soft lock out:From off press and hold ~ 3 sec past "moonlight mode" then release.

Hard lock out: Slightly twist tail cap and power is immediately terminated.

The hard lock out is the best way of assuring you the light won't go on accidentally.

Your idea was creative but unnecessary! :) Could lead to other issues as the other gentlemen indicated.

Your way MAY be a little more convenient [although twisting/untwisting a tail cap takes a second] but you LOST your warranty.

Ummm, yeah I'm fully aware of both of those options (since 2 years ago) which are a joke if you want to use the light in an efficient manner. It's a design flaw as the first version of these lights (with the white rubber switch cover) never had this issue.

To use the soft lockout, you then have to wait to disable it and cycle ALL THE WAY THROUGH to whatever previous brightness you had last used or to the one you want.

For the hard lockout, you have to USE THE OTHER HAND just to make it so you can use the light- as I said, a joke.

I don't really care about the warranty as I will just fix any issues myself.