975d67c876f7389d5ae6271c08efbbc1.jpg

hi there! what do you think of these batteries? it is not imr though but
has protection circuit. so you think
i can transfer the circuit into an imr
like efest? so i can have a high performance
protected imr. thank you!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think its worth it. I can always tell by eye when a single 10440 needs a charge. I use protection on lights that uses 2 or more cells. And i got no 2xaaa lights that also run on 2x10440.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there! what do you think of these batteries? it is not imr though but
has protection circuit. so you think
i can transfer the circuit into an imr
like efest? so i can have a high performance
protected imr. thank you!

No, you really can't have it both ways, even if you could transfer the circuit (which in my opinion, would be a bad idea). Protection will trip long before an IMR cell reaches peak performance, so you are negating the reason to get an IMR in the first place. Protection also increases voltage sag, especially at high current. Kind of like putting a low-speed governor on a Lamborghini...

breinrules

Newly Enlightened
No, you really can't have it both ways, even if you could transfer the circuit (which in my opinion, would be a bad idea). Protection will trip long before an IMR cell reaches peak performance, so you are negating the reason to get an IMR in the first place. Protection also increases voltage sag, especially at high current. Kind of like putting a low-speed governor on a Lamborghini...

hmmm, i guess i will keep it as it is then. thank you guys for the tip

magellan

Honorary Aussie
How can you tell just by eye that a cell needs a charge?

DARPA may be looking for you right now. :)

I dont think its worth it. I can always tell by eye when a single 10440 needs a charge. I use protection on lights that uses 2 or more cells. And i got no 2xaaa lights that also run on 2x10440.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks, doc007, good info there on why this isn't practical. But I would wonder why all ICRs couldn't just have the fusible link in case of thermal runaway, ICRs being more susceptible to that than the IMRs or LiFePO4 batteries which are typically offered as unprotected types. It seems like the fusible link would be cheap insurance. Am I missing something here?

I have a lot of little lights that use sub-RCR123A size batteries, such as 10180, 10220, 10280, and CR2 batteries which are all unprotected types. I wish someone would make protected versions but I guess on such tiny batteries this just isn't done although I have seen it mentioned on the CPF that there were RCR2 protected versions in the past.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can you tell just by eye that a cell needs a charge?

DARPA may be looking for you right now. :)
Easy. Most aaa lights runs direct drive in high mode when using a 10440. When the V is dropping, high mode is dimmer than it use to be. Have not ruined a 10440 yet by overdischarging. And i have been using them for years.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Ahh. Haha, I knew about the dimming but thought you meant you were examining the battery exterior and not the flashlight beam. I thought you might be psychic. :)

Until recently I only had one DD light which was my Coast H5 AA light. As it didn't use lithium ions I wasn't too concerned about driving the battery a bit hard. Now I have five or six DD lights that use lithium ions and I have to be more vigilant.

You read about people hot rodding ICRs such as the custom mech mods that vapers are making and running that are pulling 10A or more and you wonder why there aren't more accidents.