Can I run my Foursevens High-CRI lights off RCR123s (or other Li-Ions)?

williaty

Newly Enlightened
I have two Foursevens high-CRI CR123-based lights I bought after they'd discontinued them and were selling off the last of the run. Sadly, I didn't save enough information then and I now don't know just exactly what I have in my hands. I feel vaguely like they were both sold as Quark Pro at the time, but I'm not sure if the smaller one is a Mini or not. They're both pretty darn warm, probably a CCT in the 2700-3000K range. What I'm trying to find is the allowable voltage range so that I can determine what my options are for rechargeable batteries.

I have a 1xCR123 version that is quite stubby. It has "Foursevens Quark 123" written on it.

I have a 2xCR123 version that is currently in the room where my wife is napping, so I'm not able to go see what it says on it.

Does anyone remember what the voltage ranges on these high-CRI lights are? I've tried emailing Foursevens twice and have never received a reply.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an exerpt from the FourSevens MiniML page (this uses a XPG2, which is similar to the warm XPG they used back in the day):
This light has an acceptable voltage range from 0.9V to 3V. Do not use rechargeable RCR123As with this light.

Now, the Quark Pro 1xCR123 (QPC) and Quark Tactical 1xCR123 (QTL) owners manuals DO state that the working voltage is 0.9-4.2v, which leads me to believe that the Quark Pro/Tactical series is ok to run RCRs in.

williaty

Newly Enlightened
Here is an exerpt from the FourSevens MiniML page (this uses a XPG2, which is similar to the warm XPG they used back in the day):

Now, the Quark Pro 1xCR123 (QPC) and Quark Tactical 1xCR123 (QTL) owners manuals DO state that the working voltage is 0.9-4.2v, which leads me to believe that the Quark Pro/Tactical series is ok to run RCRs in.

Does the fact the 1xCR123 light I have says "Quark 123" and not "Quark Mini-something" provide iron-clad proof that it's a Pro/Tactical and not a Mini?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the fact the 1xCR123 light I have says "Quark 123" and not "Quark Mini-something" provide iron-clad proof that it's a Pro/Tactical and not a Mini?

Does the one that says "Quark 123" have a click tailcap? All Minis are twist-operation only, so if you have a click tailcap, you can safely assume it is a Pro/Tactical.

williaty

Newly Enlightened
Yes, both are clicky, so that answers that question! Thank you.

Now, the only thing to confirm is that they had the same voltage tolerances for the high-CRI models as the normal models.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HCRI lights were all XPGs, which have the same voltage requirements as XPG2s, which the current QPC and QTL have. You're good to go.

Latest posts