L4 reflector help

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
I finally did the mode to my L4 that I have been thinking
about. I put a Lux III in place of the 5 watt hd. I kept the
stock circuit as it is a boost circuit because I plan on running pila Li-ion batts in it. What happened is during the
take apart process I overheated the bezel a little and the
reflector bubbled up somewhat. Does anyone here know how to
fix it. Note: with out going to surefire. Thank You! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no fixing it. I would imagine that you could remove the present reflector finish and apply a new one though. I've heard of people applying a Krylon sputter to M@g reflectors.

If the beam looks good, I'd leave it alone. These reflectors are so delicate, I don't even clean them. If dust collects that can't be removed with compressed air, I leave it and live with it.

CbusRog

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Clifton Arnold said:...during the take apart process I overheated the bezel a little and the reflector bubbled up somewhat...

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeez! What did you use to soften the Loc-Tite? A blow torch? I lossened my L4 just buy leaving it lighted for about 10 minutes and given things a turn with a firm grip.

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CbusRog said:
[ QUOTE ]
Clifton Arnold said:...during the take apart process I overheated the bezel a little and the reflector bubbled up somewhat...

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeez! What did you use to soften the Loc-Tite? A blow torch? I lossened my L4 just buy leaving it lighted for about 10 minutes and given things a turn with a firm grip.

[/ QUOTE ]I used a heat gun to heat it up.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CbusRog,
It sounds like you were one of the lucky ones. Some of the KL4's are a bit of a b!tch to get apart; however, the only time I've needed to apply heat on a KL4 was to get the sink out of the head. I've always been able to get the head apart using a vice and strap wrench. The way the KL4 is designed seems to lend itself to getting a good grip on it with a strap wrench. If you don't have a strap wrench or two and a vice, heat is sometimes the only way to get it apart.

Clifton,
How's the beam with the screwed up reflector?

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
CbusRog,
It sounds like you were one of the lucky ones. Some of the KL4's are a bit of a b!tch to get apart; however, the only time I've needed to apply heat on a KL4 was to get the sink out of the head. I've always been able to get the head apart using a vice and strap wrench. The way the KL4 is designed seems to lend itself to getting a good grip on it with a strap wrench. If you don't have a strap wrench or two and a vice, heat is sometimes the only way to get it apart.

Clifton,
How's the beam with the screwed up reflector?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't really know yet I left the stock curcuit in place because I plan to run a pila battery in it. I have been told the L4 circuit is a boost that I can't run it any more on 2 123's I would blow the LED. When things come togeather for me I get it going and find out and let everybody know.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clifton,
You could always make a battery spacer and run it on 1X123 until you get your Pila in. You'll only get about 400mA to the lux, but it's better than darkness. You might even like it.

BTW, if you run it on more than 1X123 or 1XPila, you'll probably blow more than just the LED.