*NEW* Nitecore EC21

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
HdNAho8.png

QJ7X6QB.png

http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=141#.VGD1xvkUySo

TRW3

Newly Enlightened
Looks appealing. I see nitecore has included a secondary RGB Led to the light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Actually it's just red. Constant, flashing, and battery voltage indicator.

Wonder how bright and intense this will be at night.. Red light will reflect on the reflector, so I think the flash will be clearly noticeable.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G2, I'm impressed, there's someone in this world that cares about throw in smaller flashlights. Proper voltage meter, more useable red LED, simple UI. Sounds great except one thing - it steps down from turbo after just 3 minutes. Equally bright but smaller (shorter) EC2 could run on turbo for 30 minutes...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light!

Red LED for night vision and signaling
Well-spaced modes from 1lm to turbo
A Zebralight like UI with quick access to low, high, and strobe.

These lights keep getting better and better.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I really like the beacon...Finally.
But I really hate using a button to switch through the settings. A rotary is much more intuitive.
There is still a lot to like.

Mayor

Newly Enlightened
Overall the exterior and UI seem pretty well thought out.

I really hope that roll resistant design feature, even without the clip installed, works well (really appreciating anti roll body designs after having to fish my L3 Illumination L10 out from under the oven when I dropped it last night).

I like the fact that you can decide to have the beacon on or off without having to physically lock out the light via a twist of the tail cap.
Depending on how low the output for the red-led is, it might be able to serve as a moonlight mode, but I don't see its output listed anywhere. I don't expect it to have much output, anyone have any idea?

Direct access to high, low, and the auxiliary red. Voltage read out, red and white signal beacons, anti-roll, two way clip, light crenelation on the bezel (so I can tell if i accidentally leave it on even when its standing on the head!). No light is going to tick every box, but they certainly seemed to integrate a lot of useful things pretty seamlessly.

Very tempted, excited to see the other EC lights (1AA, 2AA, 1CR123).

My only worry is Nitecore's track record of issues early on with lights (though they seem to take steps to solve the problems) and quality control. On the other hand, to be fair, many products have teething. However, based on this form I always get the impression that Nitecore has some great ideas and designs, but the follow through isn't always the best.

Sorry this post is a bit ranty, and me just drooling over the specs, but it seems like they really put some thought into this design and I might have to pick one up.

Anyone know if these new explorer lights will have square cut threads like the original EC1, EC2, etc.?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering about one thing. Nitecore claims that it reduces putput after 3 minutes but runtime figures suggest that there's no stepdown at all. Runtime on turbo (460lm, 1:45h) is significantly shorter than on high mode (210lm, 4:45h).

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
wYNXCXF.jpg

they haven't emphasized the deep carry clip enough. this is a good thing

i'm glad they seem to be going back to the 0.1v resolution voltage readout

red LED is good

however it has less throw and less lumens than the EC20. hmmm...

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
however it has less throw and less lumens than the EC20. hmmm...
It's smaller, runs longer and has more focused beam. On high mode (210lm) you'll see much more with EC21. It won't hest up as much on turbo mode.

ginaz

Enlightened
if the red is the same as on the SRT it's a no go for me. that blotchy patch of dim red light was worthless

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deep-carry pocket clip? This light just keeps getting better and better.

if the red is the same as on the SRT it's a no go for me. that blotchy patch of dim red light was worthless

It appears to have its red LED slightly deeper into the reflector than the SRT lights. Not sure what kind of difference it would make, but worth noting.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's one difference - bigger part of the reflector is unused. But the difference is probably negligible.