XT11 help

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
I finally have dropped my XT11 one too many times from too high on to concrete. I am surprised any light would last through this much abuse. This post is not a knock on Klarus whatsoever. In fact, it is just the opposite. This light has taken so much abuse and kept going that is why I want to fix it if its feasible.

It's a Gen I model. It still turns on and I can see all 3 modes work including the strobe function. It is just that it now is very dim and just gets dimmer as I change to lower modes. I probably just have to clean up a connection but I need help in taking apart the led head assembly. I've never done it and don't want to do any more damage if at all possible when I do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried just cleaning the threads, base of the head, and tailcap. Plus make sure everything is tight before taking your a part more than necessary.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
No, I haven't. I will try that. Now that you mention it, it started acting up weeks after I dropped it 40' off a lift onto concrete. It was working just fine when I picked it up. Thanks!

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Nope, not the threads. If I mess with the front led spring and the tail cap spring I will get it to come on normal brightness for a little while. I am going to try and borrow my buddies tail cap off his XT11 and see if it fixes it. Then I can isolate which side the problem is coming from.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Nope, not the threads. If I mess with the front led spring and the tail cap spring I will get it to come on normal brightness for a little while. I am going to try and borrow my buddies tail cap off his XT11 and see if it fixes it. Then I can isolate which side the problem is coming from.

Have you tried it with a different 18650?

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Yes I have. I have a bunch of them. I kind of ruled that out since I get the full brightness for a bit when I mess with the springs. It's like it is on low (10 lumen) when you turn it on but of course as you know it comes on hi first always and then it just gets dimmer when you hit the mode button. Even the strobe works just fine but at the same low output.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Any idea on how to take the led board out of the reflector head? The tailcap I see has the two holes to use, but I don't see how to get the led board out.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own Klarus, but have you tried taking the bezel off to see if you can remove the reflector. Usually once the reflector is removed you can see the LED. Check the solder connections at the LED.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
You can't get to it that way. I just found if I heat the spring at the front a little it works until it cools down. A connection needs to be repaired behind the spring plate. How to get that plate out is the question.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I will try it. I see someone just asked a similar question in there. I will wait to see if it is answered before asking an almost identical question.