casual shoes for everyday wearing?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have, in essence, two pairs of shoes that I'll wear: a pair of Sperry's boat shoes and some Brooks running shoes.

That said, I don't like wearing my running shoes every day now that it's getting cold and I don't want to go sock-less with Sperry's every day, either. What are some good, casual, ideally quite comfortable everyday wear shoes?

If it helps, I typically wear about a 14 or 14.5 (US) and 4E. I'm not too concerned about brand or anything, but just need some normal/casual looking shoes that would work well for around campus (I'm a graduate student) and aren't showy or flashy.

Thanks guys! I definitely have bigger feet (I'm 6'5" tall), so I'm not sure all suggestions will be available in my size.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you like a lot of cushioning or do you want a more neutral, 'closer to the earth' kind of shoe. (Kind of like tint preference)
New Balance may be an option. What kind of toe box do you prefer:style or comfort?

What area of study are you in?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you like a lot of cushioning or do you want a more neutral, 'closer to the earth' kind of shoe. (Kind of like tint preference)
New Balance may be an option. What kind of toe box do you prefer:style or comfort?

What area of study are you in?
I'd probably prefer more cushioning I guess, but not so much as to feel like I'm elevated a lot higher off the ground I suppose. As to style vs comfort, I want comfort but, at the same time, nothing that's too attention grabbing

I'm getting my MBA :)
Try Ecco, New Balance, and Birkenstock. Also, I can't say enough about Nike Free and vibram five fingers.

I'll look into the Nike Free line. Thanks bud! Is Ecco that jeans brand, too?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Balance has minimalist shoes that are not as extreme as the 5 fingers; not much elevation in the heel, thin sole, lightweight, and no separated toes with a decent sized toe box. (I wear size 13 but not wide)

I looked at the Spira shoes website today. I wore out one pair and currently use a discontinued 'rugged' model that offers serious cushion with the dynamic return that feels so much better than the 'thud-squash' that seems to get more flat as conventional shoes age. Unless you get a good sale, they are expensive and rather heavy, compared to the more minimalist shoes. On the old walking Spira shoes I wore out, the wave springs emerged as the sole wore away; trapping dusty dirt then shedding it when going inside the house. But I had already put many miles on them.

With so many choices, I can give only a limited recommendation.

There is something to be said for lightweight footwear, though.

Good luck on your future business endeavors.

CandlePowerForums App

-Trooper-

Newly Enlightened
Depending on your style you should look at skater shoes like DC, Element, etc.
They are extremely comfortable and it gives you a different choice than the regular sneaker. They also come in a wide variety of colors.

mcm308

Enlightened
Tucker, I wear 13 wides and am very picky about my shoes. Check out Merrells. I wear the Moab Gore Tex every day ! Super comfy, water proof and durable.

I have a set of the Brooks Glycerins. Love them.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Justin boots count as casual? I have a pair that I wear pretty regularly. When I'm not wearing those I wear either Tony Lamas or Noconas.
I did get a pair of Skechers recently that I'm still trying to get used to!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a guy in my work group that wears the black Vibram Five Fingers. They look like gorilla feet!
That they do lol. I don't think I wanna do the five fingers style :/
New Balance has minimalist shoes that are not as extreme as the 5 fingers; not much elevation in the heel, thin sole, lightweight, and no separated toes with a decent sized toe box. (I wear size 13 but not wide)

I looked at the Spira shoes website today. I wore out one pair and currently use a discontinued 'rugged' model that offers serious cushion with the dynamic return that feels so much better than the 'thud-squash' that seems to get more flat as conventional shoes age. Unless you get a good sale, they are expensive and rather heavy, compared to the more minimalist shoes. On the old walking Spira shoes I wore out, the wave springs emerged as the sole wore away; trapping dusty dirt then shedding it when going inside the house. But I had already put many miles on them.

With so many choices, I can give only a limited recommendation.

There is something to be said for lightweight footwear, though.

Good luck on your future business endeavors.
Thanks for the well-wishes! So regarding Spira, would you consider that a brand you'd recommend 100%?
Depending on your style you should look at skater shoes like DC, Element, etc.
They are extremely comfortable and it gives you a different choice than the regular sneaker. They also come in a wide variety of colors.
Thanks man! those skate shoes definitely look quite comfortable (i always figured they were very comfortable), but they're not my style :/

Tucker, I wear 13 wides and am very picky about my shoes. Check out Merrells. I wear the Moab Gore Tex every day ! Super comfy, water proof and durable.

those Merrell shoes look nice! this looks like something right up my alley, thanks a lot! I'll definitely have to search out one of their retailers next time I'm in ATL (this Thanksgiving actually). These really look like they may be just what the doctor ordered, thank you!!!
Do Justin boots count as casual? I have a pair that I wear pretty regularly. When I'm not wearing those I wear either Tony Lamas or Noconas.
I did get a pair of Skechers recently that I'm still trying to get used to!

based on the site, it looks like the Justin boots are the cowboy-style stuff, right? Or am I missing a more casual section?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merrill shoes fit my feet and have good durability, although it has been maybe 5 years since I have used them regularly, other than doing string-trimming (gets green grass all over footwear) with the old ones. (There are some splits in portions of a seam on both shoes)

Spira is comfortable for my feet and I like the dynamic return when walking and running. I was told by a shoe store owner that I could not expect the same life out of their running shoes as the all-leather models, so there is a weight penalty. Because of a motor vehicle injury, sometimes my left knee gets 'unbearable' and for sure I am wearing the Spira's then. When it is above freezing and there is no pain, I can wear the minimalist New Balance shoes, which are so light and well ventilating. So, no, I can't say 100% for Spira and the numerous closeouts on different models on their current website raises questions. I will likely get another pair when these wear out, but the market for shoes is more varied than flashlights... maybe.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I came in here to recommend Merrells. I have a two pair and they are great shoes. I've also been a fan of Sketchers for a long time. They seem to be pretty durable and don't cost an arm and a leg.