The EDC Question and some info for the day -

RCLumens

Enlightened
Greetings -

A few questions and some feedback from my experiences - hence being posted here and not in the "recommend" section.

The quest for EDC flashlight perfection carries many opinions - and would love to keep this thread aimed at non customized lights. My Eagletac D25C clicky has been on top thus far. Great brightness, UI (IMO) and run times given the form factor balance. I'm now taking a look at the zebralight SC62 which is bigger but is it that much brighter? It looks like a good replacement for the ET D25C clicky give a slight increase in size and fair amount of increase in brightness/run times.

After all - it's the balance of size, weight, brightness that gives EDC's their place in our pockets. So any opinions on the best of best - smallest to weight to brightness to run time perfection is welcomed!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Greetings -

A few questions and some feedback from my experiences - hence being posted here and not in the "recommend me" section.

So any opinions on the best of best - smallest to weight to brightness to run time perfection is welcomed!

Opinions, recommendations there is no difference - Norm

ven

Flashaholic
I have a couple of edc d25c lights(and a d25a too) one of them is a d25cvn de-dome,tbh i hardly ever use it on its highest output(gets hot quick anyway on turbo) but medium is more than enough for most tasks and some. Not sure of the output being a vn version but over 500lm at a guess..........run on an IMR 16340 cell

de-dome is the vn ,just gives great throw for size........

I tend to rotate,the other d25c is a neutral tint and i really like that too...........

Some of my shiny rotation edc lights(usually carried in coats...............or anoraks :laughing: )other smaller ones i swap on car keys(no custom)

Other fav edc light would be the v11r due to the small factor without extension and infinite control ,which i find really user friendly to dial in the exact output in a second:thumbsup:

I also like my t10 lights,be stainless i use in work or ti/alloy at home,again simple UI with 3 modes,with an unofficially supported 14500 cell it really kicks out some useful light when needed,yet retains the sub lumen low of 0.2lm

Guess one can not have too any edc lights :laughing:
:thumbsup:

Here is a d25a and t10 both fed with 14500 cells

As you can see the t10 is brighter.......and cooler

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently switched from my Eagtac D25C direct-drive model to the Zebralight SC62w.
Having quick access to many different levels of Lo and Med modes is fantastic!
The SC62 is the EDC I have been looking for all these years.
I think the SC62 is currently the smallest, brightest, long run-time 18650 (3400mAh) EDC.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The quest for EDC flashlight perfection carries many opinions - and would love to keep this thread aimed at non customized lights....

After all - it's the balance of size, weight, brightness that gives EDC's their place in our pockets. So any opinions on the best of best - smallest to weight to brightness to run time perfection is welcomed!

"Best" (non-custom) EDC torch involves, almost by definition, a trade-off among size / output / runtime / UI / beamshape / etc. And of course, it will differ, depending on your own personal needs and uses of the light.

I find that the Peak Eiger, SureFire E1B, and HDS EDC 170 all work very well for me.

There are some customs and modded torches that are excellent for this as well ... but that would be for a different thread :D

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC'd a D25A Ti XM-L2 NW for about 6 months (longest single EDC so far) and loved it! I would often run it on 14500 to get to around 500 or 600 lumens but the runtimes on Li-Ion were lacking so I typically used Ni-Mh.

I just recently (about a month ago) switched to the SC62w and it is FREAKING AMAZING. It's barely any bigger (easily carried all day IMO) and significantly brighter and WAY longer runtimes. Plus having the battery check built in is SO FREAKING nice in a EDC.

Make the leap, you won't regret it!

RCLumens

Enlightened
Opinions, recommendations there is no difference - Norm
Norm... Common... There are a BOAT LOAD of opinions and recommendations made on the LED section - of which most people go to for resources... Please move back within 24hrs - I'm happy to list the MANY postings which remain in the LED section which will more than justify and reference the reasoning.
Thank you.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thank you all for the info!! I'm sure a lot of people will find the thread very useful! Yeah the SC62 looks like a good choice indeed and I'm sure I'll make the jump! Ven, That is a GREAT collection of EDC's! and thank you for taking the time to post the awesome beam shots! Here's to more people chiming in and sharing their general thoughts on what they think a great EDC is... Hopefully Norm will find that this post belongs in the LED section so more people will see it and get more use out of it, than the recommendation section... After all this whole website is about recommendations. Thank you all for your feedback and here's to continued knowledge sharing for us all!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Norm... Common... There are a BOAT LOAD of opinions and recommendations made on the LED section - of which most people go to for resources... Please move back within 24hrs - I'm happy to list the MANY postings which remain in the LED section which will more than justify and reference the reasoning.
Thank you.

Making demands of staff with time limits isn't really the way to go, staff will cooperate and listen to your requests, making demands of staff might just be seen as offensive. No need to post reference to other threads, I'm slowly becoming familiar with the content of CPF. Communication with staff should be via P.M., to save cluttering up your thread. - Norm

Last edited:

hgujr

Newly Enlightened
Really I find my inova x5 in simple belt loop holster is adequate for my daily needs. It's hardly noticeable wearing it yet when needed serves its purpose. So that's really my daily carry light now but also use a stream light 2 L. I also use a small cheap light from harbor freight I found in a car I was cleaning out and it works great.
I use flashlights fairly often in my daily life but just can't predict when. That's why I appreciate having one when I need it.
Wish they made a flashlight that when I used it could correct my near sightedness also so I didn't have to put my glasses on. Someday they'll either invent that or laser vision correction procedures will become so cheap no one will be wearing glasses anymore. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thank you Norm - Agreed - and thank you again for putting this back in a place where perhaps more CPF members will get most use from it! Cheers RC

Making demands of staff with time limits isn't really the way to go, staff will cooperate and listen to your requests, making demands of staff might just be seen as offensive. No need to post reference to other threads, I'm slowly becoming familiar with the content of CPF. Communication with staff should be via P.M., to save cluttering up your thread. - Norm

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quest for the perfect EDC is a journey and I'm not sure there is one destination. There are trade offs because all lights are a compromise. Throw or flood. High output or long runtime. I have several lights that I EDC and I pick the one that meets the needs I anticipate. My daily EDC is an AAA light because I appreciate the small size and good runtime on an Eneloop. There are many good non-custom AAA lights these days. Olight, Thrunight, Fenix, Klarus and Titanium Inovations all come to mind. I have a Maratac copper AAA modded by Vinh that is also great. When I need more output and runtime, I move up to AA/14500 or CR123/16340/18350 lights. I like the T10t - the beam, tint and mode spacing are wonderful. The L3 Illuminations L10 Nichia 219 is good value. I like the Malkoff MDC and have 2: the li-ion model and a 219b (CR123 only). Slim and pocketable. I also like the HDS EDC Clicky - very flexible UI and robust. Foursevens also makes some good lights in these categories.

In your quest, you'll get a list of members favorite lights. That isn't bad. You'll get some good ideas to study and compare to you criteria. Good luck with your quest. I know the journey has been fun for me.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven-

I have always admired your collection.
Question: 3rd photos below. Flashlight 2nd from right. What make and model is that?

Some of my shiny rotation edc lights(usually carried in coats...............or anoraks :laughing: )other smaller ones i swap on car keys(no custom)

Other fav edc light would be the v11r due to the small factor without extension and infinite control ,which i find really user friendly to dial in the exact output in a second:thumbsup:

No need to clutter up the thread by quoting the entire post, just copy the relevant picture. Edited - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I'm using the HDS rotary, the new model. First time user. It's very good but there is something about those tiny batteries I personally don't like to much. Good new is that soon there will be a tube for a larger rechargeable lithium battery(17670?), and that should be very interesting to try out. Before this HDS my edc was a Malkoff MD2. Great light.