Ikelite Gamma

Medic75

Newly Enlightened
Hello all

So i have been doing some reading about RCR123's and would like to switch my wife's Gamma over to rechargeable, but was warned about voltage. So my question is can the Gamma handle the extra V. I have searched the net and have not come up with any great answer. Is 1.2v extra going to be to much for this little light?
If they do work can you also point me in the right direction of a good battery.
Thank you

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a guess, I'd say that it would probably work. But if it does not you will only find out by blowing up the LED or driver.

But if it did, the run time would be less.

Perhaps a better option to try would be a single 17650 or 16650. You wont risk blowing up the light. But there is a chance it simply wont work, or may run dimmer.

yorab

Newly Enlightened
I am in the same situation--I'm trying to go with rechargeables for my Iketlite Gamma. I am no expert so I've decided to do some research to try to get up to speed. The first thing that I did was to email Ikelite. Here is their response:
Thank you for the inquiry. The Gamma is compatible with (2) rechargeable CR123 batteries, though you will have shorter run time. The Gamma is not compatible with a single rechargeable 18650-size battery.

Because it is not compatible electrically, we designed the body to prevent the slightly larger diameter 18650 cell from fitting into the Gamma.

So that answers the question of whether one can use a single 1X650--the answer is no. However it is possible to use (2) of the rechargeable CR123 alternatives--namely the rechargeable 16340s.

Now my question (and I presume yours) is which 16340s to go with. There are various chemistries that produce various voltages. We would both want the longest burn time possible without increasing risk of damage to the batteries or the Gamma. I would need to have ~60 minutes or more of burn time on a fully charged set of batteries. I hope that this is possible.

Perhaps the experts can chime in on the best solution(s). I can try to find specs on the Gamma if requested. Thanks.

jspeybro

Enlightened
At a guess, I'd say that it would probably work. But if it does not you will only find out by blowing up the LED or driver.

But if it did, the run time would be less.

Perhaps a better option to try would be a single 17650 or 16650. You wont risk blowing up the light. But there is a chance it simply wont work, or may run dimmer.

I did something similar with 3 greenforce diamond lights. They originaly ran on cr123 liion batteries (non-rechargeable). I replaced the driver by an other driver designed for a single 18650 cell like an AMC7135 based driver and replaced the batteries by a 1 unprotected 17650 or something from sanyo that I got through intl-outdoor.com. unfortunately, they don't sell these cells anymore.
The protected cells are a bit too long to replace the 2 CR123 batteries.
Depending on the LED and drive current, the light lasts about 1-1.5h which is plenty for me as a backup.

yorab

Newly Enlightened
For the OP (and anybody else with interest), I have received a response from Ikelite:

The driver circuit will not work reliably at anything lower than 5 volts. It appears that any of the available CR123 rechargeable batteries should work electrically, however we cannot guarantee performance or that they will physical fit in the light.

So, from the manufacturer, it is ok to use (2) rechargeable CR123s in series--though extra voltage won't hurt. But, it is not ok to use a single 18650 because then the voltage would be less than 5V and the light would not operate properly.

Ikelite also confirmed that the Gamma can handle the brief period of high voltage from freshly charged Li ion cells, i.e., freshly charged cells can be as high as 4.2V for a brief time and the light can handle the 8.4V (4.2V x 2).

Last edited:

Latest posts