Zebralight turn on: short click vs 0.6 second click is a failed design

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Love the very low lumen flood... but can't get it programmed to turn on in low low low mode. Supposedly a 0.6 second press & hold starts it in the low mode -- except that it cycles to higher modes so damn fast, that it blinds me before I can discern that it is turned on.

The 0.6 second hold is too close to a "short click" which starts it in blind-me mode. Any fixes for this? And is there a way to reset all modes to some simple default where the sub & sub-sub modes are all high to low (or vice versa) so I can "see" what they are when attempting to program them?

All in all, the sub-sub modes are just too complicated to program; one needs to click back & forth a couple times between the more & less bright to decide which to use, and while doing so its too easy to a programming click sequence, and then its all screwed up and you have to start again from the very beginning...

Or another light that has a 90-degree angle head and extremely low modes plus a decently high mode in a 1AA form factor?

EDIT: maybe the switch is faulty. When I click & hold I can see the LED turn on lowest, but immediately it goes to brightest. Not enough time to get my finger off the button.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't easily upload a video, but think of it this way - The correct behavior is "Hold the switch for about long enough to take a sip" should give the LOW selection.

From a light with unknown Low setting, you'll pick up the light, then press-sip-release to get to Low. Then double-click to see if you're on L1 or L2. Afterwards, it should store Low-Low. To check Medium from OFF or LOW, press-hold-until-it-gets-brighter-release to MEDIUM1 or MED2. Double-click to check, then double-click again if desired. Next, press-hold-until-it-gets-brighter-than-medium-release to HIGH or HIGH2.

The usual programming is:

Hold switch = cycle L*, M*, H*, where * is the saved 1 or 2 mode for each level.
Double-click while On, toggle 1/2 in that level.
A double-click from Off seems to get me to M*

If that's not what you see, can you post a video for us to see?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the very low lumen flood... but can't get it programmed to turn on in low low low mode. Supposedly a 0.6 second press & hold starts it in the low mode -- except that it cycles to higher modes so damn fast, that it blinds me before I can discern that it is turned on.

The 0.6 second hold is too close to a "short click" which starts it in blind-me mode. Any fixes for this? And is there a way to reset all modes to some simple default where the sub & sub-sub modes are all high to low (or vice versa) so I can "see" what they are when attempting to program them?

All in all, the sub-sub modes are just too complicated to program; one needs to click back & forth a couple times between the more & less bright to decide which to use, and while doing so its too easy to a programming click sequence, and then its all screwed up and you have to start again from the very beginning...

Or another light that has a 90-degree angle head and extremely low modes plus a decently high mode in a 1AA form factor?

EDIT: maybe the switch is faulty. When I click & hold I can see the LED turn on lowest, but immediately it goes to brightest. Not enough time to get my finger off the button.

It shouldn't go straight to brightest, unless you release the button. If you hold it too long it should star low, then cycle to medium and then go to high.

Sounds like either:
(1) You're not pressing the button firmly enough and it's releasing early causing it to think you wanted high mode; or
(2) your switch is defective; or
(3) your reaction time is too slow.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
(3) poor design requires lightening reflexes

Fixed it for ya'

"press & hold" has got to be LONGER than a "click." But the problem is that the cycling from low upwards begins pretty much instantly.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight UI is very popular on CPF, so calling it a "failed design" seems odd.

MANY people have difficulty directly accessing the low level when they get their first ZL, but after actually using it for awhile, most find they have little or no trouble directly accessing low. I had difficulty at first too, and commented about it here on CPF, but now it's second nature to me. It just took me some time to get used to it.

Of course it's possible that you have a defective light. If you really can't get it to ever go directly to low, even with conscious effort, then you should probably ask for an exchange from your dealer.

Otherwise, just give it some time. It's not a failed design, just one that needs a bit of practice. Good luck.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might find yourself much more comfortable with a different light brand which has a much simpler and better UI for you.
There are many lights out there to choose from that could serve you well.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Someone once suggested hold down the button and say "zebra" then let go and it stays on low. That has stuck with me and I do it every time I turn my light onto low.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just takes a little practice. I've had so many ZLs that the UI is second-nature to me. I will admit it takes a little practice to nail the timing but it's certainly not a "flawed design". People who can't drive stick don't call the manual transmission a "flawed design", they just don't know how to use it yet.

markr6

Flashaholic
I never understood the UI complications, so it must be a personal reaction time thing. Just like why some drag racers always get the jump on their opponent.

Just press and hold. When you see the light, release it soon after...just not immediately. And I don't know why people (I've seen this a lot) are getting "blinded". Worse case scenario, you hold it TOO long and it simply goes to medium mode. Hardly blinding unless you're looking into the light or have night adapted eyes.

The programming is simply that. Initial programming. It's more of a once and done thing. If you find yourself needing all 11 modes or whatever, then you need a variable output light in the first place. However, if the 6 "programmed" modes are enough, all you do is double click.

Hope I don't offend anyone, it's just overcomplicated sometimes since it's not you're everyday UI.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had a problem with get low low activation. Just don't do quick clicks. Click hold then let go. Love this UI.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone once suggested hold down the button and say "zebra" then let go and it stays on low. That has stuck with me and I do it every time I turn my light onto low.

Yeah I find the timing works really well. I never have problems with triggering the wrong mode. I'd wager I could turn the light onto low 100 times in a row and not get a wrong mode even once.

LEDburn

Enlightened
Here's a simple way to see if the light is playing up or if you simply haven't mastered the UI yet:

Perform one short click, thus bringing the light on in high mode. Wait a few seconds.

Next, double click and see if you are in the brightest of the H settings, I suggest leaving it on the brightest setting..now turn it off.

Now (when the light is off) perform a quick double click which should bring the light on in medium mode. Once on, wait a few seconds and perform another double click to switch between the two medium modes. I suggest you leave it in the lowest of the two.

So now you should have high set to the highest setting and medium set to its lowest...

Now HOLD down the switch. DO NOT RELEASE IT!!

If your light is functioning correctly, it will come on in low (DO NOT RELEASE SWITCH!!!) and after a few seconds, it will cycle to medium (KEEP HOLDING SWITCH!!!) and eventually cycle to high. If you keep holding it will eventually go back to low.

If you followed what I said and still nothing then you are either doing something very wrong or there is a chance your light is defective.

Hope that helps..

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
the "say zebra" works sometimes. Its a failed design because if I release either too early OR too late, it goes to a higher mode. A good design is "failsafe" in that regard. It should not start cycling so quickly.

The size & 90 degree angle & flood are excellent. The switching logic sucks.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tourist is in NY and asks a hot dog vendor how to get to Carnegie Hall. "Practice, practice, practice."

If it is any consolation, I have another light that I also have to practice switching modes.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
the "say zebra" works sometimes. Its a failed design because if I release either too early OR too late, it goes to a higher mode. A good design is "failsafe" in that regard. It should not start cycling so quickly.

The size & 90 degree angle & flood are excellent. The switching logic sucks.
Okay cool, I love it. Sorry you hate it.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

ThirstyTurtle covered it. If you aren't willing to practice, and get accustomed to the user interface, that is your problem. MANY people, including me, like the design of the UI - it is among the very best for EDC. Making it take longer to start cycling would definitely not be a good solution...the wait is long enough to make it easy to use, without extending the total time to cycle unnecessarily.

If you don't like the UI, perhaps Zebralight is not for you. But most of us love the design, and calling it a failed design just because you can't use it properly is silly, in my opinion.