P60 voltage?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have an old xpg P60 drop in that I was too stupid to mark voltage on. Is there any way to identify voltage range by looking at it? It has no label at all.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can remove the driver & take a photo of it, some of us may be able to help identify the driver & the voltage range

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know how to unscrew the pill. Would that picture tell you anything? I don't know how to remove the driver nor what the driver even looks like

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it doesn't light up on 1xAA, it has a voltage range from 2.7V to ?.??V. I would run it on a single li-ion (max 4.2V) unless you're dead certain it can accept 2xCR123 (6V).

Edit: my reasoning for this is that most P60 hosts are sized for 2xCR123 or 1x17670. There are no P60 hosts I can think of that use 1xCR123, meaning there should be no P60 dropins that have a 3V max. The only 3V max P60 dropins I can think of are Malkoff's and they run on AA's, hence why I'd test with a AA first. If it doesn't light at 1.5V then probably the safest bet is that it's supposed to be driven at 2.7-4.2V.

Driving it at 6V offers no benefit anyways since the converter will just buck the voltage down to 3.3V to meet LED forward voltage.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Im using it in 1 x cr123 host. It works with imr16340. I just don't kniw if it is safe with primary and would prefer to use primary.

archimedes

Flashaholic
@calipsoii - SureFire 3P is (sort of) a P60 host, though the stock lamp was a 3.0v "R30" .

SolarForce also has some single-cell P60 hosts, too, I believe.

@recDNA - I think you are now asking something different than your OP. You want to know safe current draw, as well as safe voltage. You should be able to measure the current with an ammeter (or DMM).

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know current draw is 1.5 amps with imr16340. I am interested in voltage. I would prefer to use a CR123a but I don't know if this led supports below 3.7 volts.

My host is dereelight shorty but that has nothing to do with my question.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know current draw is 1.5 amps with imr16340. I am interested in voltage. I would prefer to use a CR123a but I don't know if this led supports below 3.7 volts.

My host is dereelight shorty but that has nothing to do with my question.

All of this info in your original post would have cleared up a lot of unknowns.

Your drop-in will probably run on a primary CR123 but at a higher amperage draw than it would on li-ion. If it's running at 1.5A on li-ion I would expect 2A on primary. The last time someone ran CR123 primaries at 2A they reached nearly 115 degrees and the Surefire's got dangerously hot.

I wouldn't.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I see. I just figured if the voltage range were say 3 - 6 volts that meant it was safe to run on a primary. For example I have a low voltage dereelight that runs less than 1 amp with 2 x aa but 1.5 amp with li ion battery. No idea how the driver knows the diff. May goes dd above 3 v.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just looked up the specs on my original javelin (2xaa) drop in. Strangely, it is listed as 1.5 amp 2.8 - 4.2 volts.