Pocket Clips on lights

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've been thinking, why don't more flashlights come with sturdy metal pocket clips? Surefire has some sturdy ones, but hasn't anyone given much thought to adding removable metal pocket clips to their lights? I'm not talking about the whimpy penlight type pocket clips or molded plastic clips, I'm referring to ones typically found on modern folding knives.

Think about how Sal Glesser of Spyderco revolutionized the knife industry by adding pocket clips to his folding knives rather than sheaths. Nowadays, any folding knife without a pocket clip is considered to be almost archaic! So, why don't flashlight manufacturers design removable pocket clips for their smaller lights which allow the user to clip it to their pants pocket or belt and do away with the need for a sheath? Pocket clips that can be attached by small torx or phillips screws?

Any thoughts?

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I like pocket clips for small precious objects and frequently used tools like knives and flashlights. I especially like to see them have the choice of carry as well. If possible it would be nice to see a bezel up or bezel down option.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Originally posted by Peter Atwood:
I especially like to see them have the choice of carry as well. If possible it would be nice to see a bezel up or bezel down option.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what I'm talking about. A sturdy metal pocket clip for a small light like the Inova 5XT for bezel down carry would be great.
cool.gif

I know that pocket clips are out of the question for large lights, but smaller models like the Inova 5XT, Streamlight Scorpion or lightweights like the Princeton Tec Attitude would benefit from a pocket clip that you can reverse for bezel up or bezel down carry. Something that can give the user multiple carry options that do not require a sheath. And if the user does not want the pocket clip on the light then he/she can remove it with a small screwdriver.

Darell

Flashaholic
One of Don's requirements of the McLux was to incorporate a bezel-down clip. A real, removeable and useful clip. Why more lights don't have clips is beyond me. Why precious few have bezel-down clips is just crazy! I regurlarly use mine while attached to my belt to walk around at night. I agree that clips are a fantastic feature - and bezel-down makes them that much more useful.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I couldn't agree more and have made this point hundreds of time. Why in the world doesn't Pelican/Streamlight/Arc/etc. make something along the lines of the E1/E2? I actually resent SF's pricing now and if ANYBODY made something comparable I would be all over it. SF's E- series made me get rid of every other 6V light I had.

If you are a manufacturer and read this, put clips on your lights and make something like the A2. You won't be able to make them fast enough (Keep it under $75).

Edited to say that even SF's clips need beefing up. I keep extra's because I keep bending them or snapping them off, they are far too fragile.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

These are some images of a few metal pocket clips that I think would work great on several small lights:

Pic is from Emerson Knives:
Clips_Satin.jpg
Clips_Black.jpg

From Halpern Titanium:
unticlips.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think because most lights are larger.

i can't imagine putting a 6d *ag lite in my pocket even though it had a pocket clip
grin.gif

i think it is really because knives are small enough to go into a pocket, most lights are not. e2e e1e, and many other surefire lights are small enought to fit in a pocket, so a pocket clip works well with them.

mclux also has a pocket clip...but that light has nearly everything.

arc aaa is shipping with a pocketclip. i think it may be a matter of time the ls will. maybe?