5.11 "tactical"

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks
I am an Armed Security Officer at a major hospital here in Colorado.
Let the rent a pig jokes flow.

But seriously. I have a 5.11 TMT L2 flashlight. It is about 6 months old. It was 0 degrees the other night at work. I dropped the flashlight with my gloves on. The light stopped working.
I took a look at it later that shift. The LED module had two wires loose.
I called 5.11 today. Due to the drop, it is not warrantied, which I dont really care about. What gets me is there are no replacement parts for it. The 5.11 rep said they do not sell the LED piece.

So my question for you is, any ideas where I can get a replacement? Or where can I find out if any aftermarket drop in modules like the p60 will fit?

Some rough measurements of the LED piece

total length= .5 inch
diameter at led end=.75 inch
diameter at module=.5 inchThanks.
looking at it more, I guess the overall length could be longer. the reflector is a seperate piece and I did not include it in the measurment.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their website says "Impact resistant to 2 meters". For the price of that light it should handle a drop.

You can look at Surefire lights they have a lifetime warranty no hassle, good for heavy ruff use.

How many levels do you need? Did you like the High,Low and Strobe of that particular light?

Maybe you can just solder the wires back on? It does not appear to be P60 compatible.

You could see if you like Malkoff lights. Elzetta might be worth a look also. All fairly standard tactical lights. There are plenty to choose from, moving down just a bit like EagleTac or you could put together a Solarforce light with a standard drop-in.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I am WAY dissappointed with the break.
I was hoping to get a drop in due to price, and I really like the 5.11 shape and size.
I did try to solder it, but had no luck. Probably due to lack of expierence.
I really only need the high setting, have yet to use low or strobe.
the 5.11 is a sx c123a light, so it seems voltage will not be an issue, just fitting a drop in. Will check out elzetta, looked briefly at malkoff.
thanks. The ammount of knowlege here is amazing.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire or Elzetta/ Malkoff are good lights for what you do. You are on the right track. I agree for the price they command, what a let down.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
was really hoping to get a drop in due to price, but may not be an option I guess. I have an email in to Malkoff and a few other companies. Guess we will see.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
yep. I get that things break. Either stand behind them, or have parts. I was not even seeking warranty. All I wanted to do was buy a replacment module.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
Solar Force t1 seems like too good of a deal.
Less than $30 shipped.
Too good to be true?
How long to ship it?
At that price I could get extra drop ins and always have a backup.

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
If ur buying direct from sf I've always found there shipment times excellent. ...love the P1 with sportac or vihns dropins got 4 bodies n numerous dropins. ...

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to write to the president of 5.11 and express your displeasure with their handling of what should be a warranty repair.

Their spec sheet indicates 2 meter impact resistance. Did your light deform from the impact?

Otherwise, contact Vinh54 and see if he can look at the light for you. His prices are reasonable and service is good.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
Did not deform. While on the phone with customer service trying to BUY a replacment module, I mentioned that I dropped it. She said that negates the warranty. WTF? Seriously? What is this, fine china?

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!
As a company that caters to LEOs you would think that the light would be OK from a single fall.....

radiopej

Enlightened
Yeah, if they say it's rated for a 2 metre impact and you dropped it from lower with a problem, they have to honour the warranty. You should contact them again and ask for a supervisor.

subalpine

Newly Enlightened
I emailed CS last week, but I guess I will call again tomorrow. Really bummed. like that light alot. Would be perfect if it accepted drop in modules.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
If the light cannot handle a drop like you describe, you are better off with something else. FourSevens Quark Tacticals and Klarus XT series will both handle typical drops without issues. Malkoff is also a good recommendation.

scout24

Flashaholic
The beauty of the Elzetta is you can build it to meet your needs. And, it's future-proof. As long as Malkoff is building modules, you can update it to meet your needs. New brighter emitter introduced? No problem. Decide you like high-cri more than sheer output? No problem. Want flood? No problem. Need more runtime, a high/low tailcap, all of a sudden decide you need a strobe setting? You get the idea. Malkoff modules, different tailcaps, it's whatever you need. Plus, it makes a good hammer. Watch the Youtube videos! :) Not a sales pitch, really, and I'm sad to hear about your 5.11 light. I try to talk guys here at work into the Elzettas, but everyone has short arms and can't reach their wallet...

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Surefire 6P plus a Malkoff M61L. Great all-arounder, totally dependable and the total price would probably be only about $30-$40 more than what you paid for the 5.11.