Evacuation and Power Outage

BAreEhD

Newly Enlightened
...and I was unprepared.

An urgent email came out this afternoon at my office that there was an electrical issue in the building and everyone needed to evacuate within 5 minutes to avoid being caught in the dark. We were instructed to make our way down to street level via the stairs as the timing of the outage would be unpredictable and no one wants to be caught in an elevator.

My coworkers and I (there's about 300 of us, we occupy the majority of the building) head into the stairwells which were well lit at the time and equipped with emergency lighting. Sure enough, about half way through our descent, the lights go out. To make matters worse, the emergency lights did not activate!

It was at this moment when the regret hit me. I have recently purchased a Fenix E12 for EDC but left for work this morning without it. I'm new to carrying a flashlight, and today was just one of those days where I simply forgot to put it in my pocket.

The shame I felt as I pulled out my phone and activated the "torch" app is why I'm posting this. I had a perfectly good light that could have lit the stairwell, but it was sitting at home on my night stand.

Thankfully no one was hurt. It could have been much worse.

Today I learned a valuable lesson: put that light in your pocket every day. You never know when it will be needed. I was lucky to have gotten by with the LED on my phone, but it might not be that simple next time.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tip to help remember is how I do it.

Wallet(money)-car keys-pen-light-handy phone = 5 .I go to work with 5 and count 5.My messenger bag also contains 5 items. ipad(work).walkabout(work)tablet.handy phone(private)and my card wallet.

If I cannot count 5 I am not leaving the house.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I do: have a place at home where you deposit ALL your daily carry gear. Wallet, phone, light, keys, knife, etc. Keep it all together, in a pile, and that way you're less likely to leave without one of those items. Glad you were able to make due with your cell phone flashlight app.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nitecore Tube on my keychain, a faxton on every coat and jacket zipper, and a Streamlight Microstream that lives in my pocket. If I am at home that is enough to get me to my other lights, and if I was at work, it could get me out safely without a problem. On days (or nights) when I think I might need more I have an EA4 or EA41 to hang on my belt, and if I really think I am going to need more, a TM11 instead. I have a Rayovac 4C lantern in the car, as well as a TerraLux Lightstar 80 and one of the Battery Junction lights they give away, and a Lightstar 80 and some faxtons in each Bug Out Bag (BOB).
I too am a creature of habit (as well as an Absent Minded Professor type), and if it isn't where I always put it, it probably gets left behind. That's why I have so many lights seeded all over. One can't forget it if it is already there.

Let us form a circle and recite the Creed: "Two is One and One is None!"

Daekar

Enlightened
Here's what I do: have a place at home where you deposit ALL your daily carry gear. Wallet, phone, light, keys, knife, etc. Keep it all together, in a pile, and that way you're less likely to leave without one of those items. Glad you were able to make due with your cell phone flashlight app.

This is what I do! Whenever I go to a new place where I will be removing my EDC items from my pockets, the first thing I do is select a place where they ALL go. It was the first thing I did when we moved to our new house and it's the first thing I do when we visit a hotel or family member's house. If I didn't.... well, I'd be lucky to keep a set of keys for a week!

anjari_br

Newly Enlightened
Thankfully nothing serious happened. But it was a good warning ... do not leave without a good light, or any light. I have lights on all my keychain (house, car) and always carry a light on the pocket and one in my workbook, ie I always have a hand at least 4 lights.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I typically leave everything in my pants and shirt pockets in the evening.
When I get dressed, everything gets transferred from the previous days clothes to what I'm wearing that day.

The earthquake experienced on the east coast two years ago was a wake up call to a few folks I worked with. Once the ground stopped shaking, I was the only one with a light, a 6 cell Mag with a Terralux drop in. I wasn't waiting for the public address system to tell me to evacuate the building.
Make sure you lodge a complaint with the local fire department that the emergency lighting didn't work so that they can force repairs before the next time. Just telling your EH&S folks will bring nothing more than lip service. The cite by the FD will correct the problem.

Redhat703

Enlightened
I always carry a HDS EDC Hi CRI in my right pants pocket. If I forgot this light, there are 2 other in my backpack. Also, in my emergency backpack under my office desk, i have 2 other lights:).
Call me nut, but at least I would never ran out without a light:)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep everything in a 5.11 Moab sling bag. Small yet you can load it up. I even carry a set of Titanium chop sticks to eat with. I got them as a gag gift, but it is Amazing how handy those things are!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a Rayovac 4C lantern in the car,

I've been tempted to get that light each time I see it.
How do you like it? Does it do anything particularly well?

I typically leave everything in my pants and shirt pockets in the evening.
When I get dressed, everything gets transferred from the previous days clothes to what I'm wearing that day.

This pretty much works for me too!

My cell phone is in a holster I keep on my belt, and gets moved as my belt gets moved. My cash is carried in my front left pocket, and I use my pocket knife as a money clip, so it is always with me. My keys go in my front right pocket with my EDC DQG AAA NW twisty on my key chain, so it is also always with me.

That DQG is not quite twice as big as the Streamlight Nano, but is SO MUCH more functional, and uses a rechargeable AAA that it will have a "forever" spot on my key-chain. A larger light might sometimes be left at home as is what happened in this case.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have two tritium lanterns and a flashlight on my keys...so, if I have my keys, I have light.

I carry lights for work anyway, so, its a rare event where I would be out of the house w/o a light....typically, rare would be < 5 lights.

I suppose I'd be potentially vulnerable if I were to go skinny dipping during the day and there would be an unexpected total solar eclipse/the sun would go out? Shy of that, I can't think of why I would be w/o a light in reach.

:D

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been tempted to get that light each time I see it.
How do you like it? Does it do anything particularly well?

Its got a nice beam with some flood. I don't remember how far I tested it for sure, but I know it did at least 100 yds. The shape and handle is familiar and not too heavy, and it will easily tail stand. I got it because it was like $22 at my local hardware store, and I don't think I had bought my TM11 yet then. It has great run time because of the C cells, and two power levels. It is just a nice car, garage, around the house light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Its got a nice beam with some flood. I don't remember how far I tested it for sure, but I know it did at least 100 yds. The shape and handle is familiar and not too heavy, and it will easily tail stand. I got it because it was like $22 at my local hardware store, and I don't think I had bought my TM11 yet then. It has great run time because of the C cells, and two power levels. It is just a nice car, garage, around the house light.

Thanks!

BAreEhD

Newly Enlightened
Today, I'm better prepared:

ad20bf49efcdc0ed22a2087dd8d43917.jpg

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to follow up with the FD on the failure of the emergency lights.

I worked for a very large company that kept making promises to correct the emergency lighting problems and never followed up.
The cite by the FD mandated a correction date.

Your story reminds me of stories of the World Trade Center collapse.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post.
I ponder this dilemma frequently as my "office attire" is dress pants, so I often only have a small Sapphire in my pocket, but my main EDC stuff is in my messenger bag behind my desk.
My thought is, I can grab my bag in an emergency, but in the back of my mind, it is, what if I cannot get to my office ( fire, or I am out at that moment)?

At home this is never a worry as my jeans always have a decent light in the pocket and another light(s) are by the exits of the home.

Maybe need to up the anti for my small pocket carry during the day at the office.