Oakley ESF Assault Boots: Anyone tried 'em yet?

guncollector

Enlightened
Oakley ESF Assault Boots: Anyone tried \'em yet?

gateway.jpg
gateway.jpg

Anyone here have experience with the new Oakley Elite Special Forces Standard-Issue Assault Boots ("Oakley Assault Boots" for short)? There's also an "Assault Shoe" (low-ankle version). MSRP is in the $195-225 range.

They're an "assault boot", like an "improved" version of the Adidas GSG-9 "assault boots", which are meant for stealth and urban environment--combining the support and weatherproofness of a combat boot with the suppleness of an athletic shoe. But, they are NOT meant for a 14 mi. hump in the backwoods with a full load--so let's not go there comparing.

I've been doing some research, and the consensus at USN.net and even over at Tacticalforums.com are that they're very good (for what they're designed for).

Most comments indicated "no break-in period", "comfortable", "durable", "good support", "better than GSG-9's", etc.

Problem is most of those who've reviewed them are all Military or LEO's. I was curious if any regular Joe's like us here at CPF have tried them out yet? (By the way, the Military/LEO versions don't have the cheesy red-triangle, but I'm told a black permanent marker can fix that).

sloegin

Newly Enlightened
Re: Oakley ESF Assault Boots: Anyone tried \'em yet?

I don't have the boots; I've got three pairs of their other shoes, and they rock.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened

I have bought one pair (without the red triangle) about 3 Weeks ago. So far I can say they are very confortable. Two Downsides: One needs pretty long to open and close them and they are not suited for wet concrete and tiles. Same problem with the Adidas GSG9 and I could never understand why people would buy those
Hope this helps,
Holger

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have two pairs of boots. I use one set for running and workouts. Its an old habit from the military. The other set is normally in my automobile trunk along with an extra pair of dress shoes. I always carry a spare set of clothes and footwear for emergencies. They are a bit tight on me and did require break in. The tongue tended to rub the top of my foot a bit too much the first few 3 or 4 dozen times I wore them.

I wish they had speed laces. They are a bit slippery on smooth tile. I added a few small sections of skateboard tape to select areas to reduce the slipperyness. I have to replace the tape every 2-3 weeks depending on the activity that I use them in. They don't have nearly the arch arch suport that I need, but then no pair that I have had does. I use arch support inserts.

The low quarters feel silly to me, providing nowhere near the support of the boots and not dressy enough to wear with a suit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.giffor the boots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.giffor the cordovans

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
cheesy

[/ QUOTE ] You said it all right there.

guncollector

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tkl writes:
[o]guncollector said:[/i]
cheesy

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I said the "red triangle"-logo is cheesy. And, I'll say also that the name "Oakley Elite Special Forces Standard-Issue Assault Boots" is also cheesy.

But, let's not confuse the marketing (i.e. logo/name) with the product. All my research has indicated these boots are the real deal.

Looks to me I've found my Adidas GSG-9 replacements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guncollector, I think the whole item is cheesy and since it's Oakley probably overpriced as well. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I have been wearing their shades for years.

I think you'll find the majority of LEO and SWAT use Hi Tec or Bates shoe/boots.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oakley ESF Assault Boots: Anyone tried \'em yet

I've seen these worn by alot of military entry teams and also on LEO tac teams lately. The red triangle ones are manufactured outside the US (and are less expensive) and the subdued logo ones are US made for dept.'s that require their gear to be of domestic manufacture and spec. quality. They look comfy enough, although I still love Adidas' products. They don't really cost any more than a good pair of Danners.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

My research tells me the boots cost about $200 MSRP, probably a bit less on the "street"--about the same for a pair of GSG-9's, or "nice" hiking boots. Military, I'm told, can have'em for $125.00 through their PX's or requisition system.

I don't really care about "cheesy", or what anyone thinks of what I wear--just ask my wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

What I like is an updated alternative to the GSG-9.

Also, its reported over at USN that the Oakley management demanded that their Insurance cover Lance Armstrong, back when he was dropped by his European (pre-USPS) team (when he was diagnosed with cancer). The Insurance company balked, and Oakley said "fine", we'll take out entire corporation's business elsewhere. The Insurance company gave in.

I like that kind of quiet, good Samaritan streak in a company. That alone would make try a pair of their boots!

Chengiz

Enlightened

I have to agree with TKL, I wear High Tecs. They are $45 and if they get contaminated with lab waste or bio waste, they go in the trash. I can't see throwing $200 out. This boot is more for the average citizen.

And when it comes to humpin, the standard issue leg boot is great for that, as long as your feet are ready.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chengiz said:
I have to agree with TKL, I wear High Tecs. They are $45 and if they get contaminated with lab waste or bio waste, they go in the trash. I can't see throwing $200 out. This boot is more for the average citizen.

[/ QUOTE ]

But....But.... Barry Dueck wears 'em!! Are you telling me the inventor of the Surefire Suppressor is just a tactical "fashion plate"!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened

Barry has a cool job. I hope he doesn't have to step in the bad stuff. If I didn't have to step in the bad stuff I would like to wear them too. I know one guy who tried them on, said they were the most comfortable shoes he has ever worn. He doesn't wear them on the job. It helps that his brother is a muckety muck with Oakley.

Oakley turns out a very nice product, but you pay for that nice product, and it is worth every penny. And a company that stands up for the little guy is AOK in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just yankin' ya Chengiz. I wouldn't want to wear $200 boots into those environs either unless they provided a certain level of protection that others didn't or if I could afford to have 'em decontaminated. I do however take my foot comfort pretty seriously and I see alot of guys wearing $200 Danners and Oakleys in the military and have to wonder if these guys just take their comfort and capabilities seriously enough to invest in these or what?

guncollector

Enlightened

Hey, I just got my pair this morning, and have been wearing'em since.

Not having put "them through the paces", my initial impression of these Oakley Assault Boots are they are well-constructed, very comfortable, and offer excellent good angle support. They're very comparable to the Adidas GSG-9's, but have a slightly "beefier" feel to them.

Additionally, having bought mine from a member at USN, I got a pair without the dreaded red "Elite Special Forces" triangle. Mine are pure black, with no logo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try'em, you'll like'em.

Skyline

Enlightened

The boots definitely look cool. However, I'm a bit concerned about the reports of slickness on wet concrete/tile. I commute on the MTA Subways, and wet tiles are an everyday occurrence. I've had my share of falling on my butt from slipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When you've gotten more miles in your boots, please post your experiences on wet surfaces.

Thanks!

guncollector

Enlightened

Okay, it just so happens that its been pouring cats'n'dogs here in the SF/Bay Area for the last week.

So, this lunch hours, I cruised around the streets & shops of the concrete jungle of downtown SF, complete with diamond-plated sidewalk-cargo elevators, linoleum floors, etc.

On the wet sidewalk (concrete), no problem.

On wet road (asphalt), no problem.

On wet marble, somewhat slippery. Not more so than other hiking/tactical boots I wear.

On wet linoleum, very slippery when wet. But, then again, I don't know of anything that works on linoleum short of Sperry Topsider type soles (but just try getting dry-traction with those soles!). Very squeeky on linoleum though--don't know how "tactical" that is.

On wet diamond plating, works just fine. The OAB's tread's little grippers gave good traction--even on wet diamond plating.

Over at Usualsuspect.net, a recent short review post from a wearer of OAB's in snowy/icy Boston gave very good reviews.

HTH!

guncollector

Enlightened

Don't mind at all.

I got'em off of the USN's equivalent of B/S/T for $180 delivered.

Apparently, if you look hard enough on Ebay, you can also find them for about $180-190, the "Military" version, without the red special forces logo on the outside.

I figure, there's probably some entrepreneurial military guys reselling brand-new, PX-acquired, OAB's on Ebay.

HTH!

Skyline

Enlightened

Good info! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

BTW, I just discovered that I overpaid for my OAB's!

There's a seller on Ebay, by the name of gear4specops, who's selling them for $125 + $18 shipping (via Paypal only) = $143.00 delivered. And they're the military (no red logo) version too!

Just a heads up for those interested. I might have to pick up a backup pair while the gettin's good.