spanner wrench for tailcap retaining ring.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
tried doing some searches and either got nothing or bazzilion. Thrunite TN12. I'd like to loosen the retaining ring so I can remove the spring and smooth the pigtail on the spring.
I see 2 divots in the tailcap. Is there an adjustable wrench that I can buy for it? The spanners I have are shaped like a "C" but looks like flashlight takes a 2 prong one. Would probably need something adjustable since diff flashlights would have diff spans. (and my tailcap divots aren't even 180 degrees apart, they are off center).

I tried prying/moving it by using a nail, but wouldn't budge. (Is the tailcap CW or CCW to tighten??)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with the Thrunite tailcaps but, for other brands, a lot of us use snap-ring pliers. Does the Thrunite ring look anything like the switch shown here?

20140629153801-6ffb2439-me.jpg

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Try a small pair of needle nose pliers
2. If those don't work you can try snap ring pliers. I have snap ring pliers but usually the needle nose pliers work better.
3. If the holes are too small for your pliers, take a large paperclip and bend it into a "U" shape. Insert the tips of the paperclip into the holes. Then using long-nose pliers as a wrench, grip the paperclip just above the tailcap and turn.
4. Screw threads on tailcap switches are sometimes backwards. So keep that in mind when unscrewing.
5. If the holes are still too small, get a pin-vise drill and bit, and drill out the side holes in the retaining ring so that they are wide enough to accept needle nose pliers.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. Ah, snap ring pliers! Didn't know what they were called, but that did the trick! And the threads are reversed. Good ideas on the needle nose. Thanks a bunch.

FWGlockGuy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for! All of my needle nose pliers were too thick at the tip to grasp the little divots, so what I ended up using was a small pair of wire cutters that came to a very fine point. Worked perfectly! Thanks!