Suggestions on what to do with my McGizmo 2x123/VME Head Combo?

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
First off I really like this light, it feels amazingly good in the hand. If you have ever held one like this in person you know what I am talking about. Solid as a rock, comfortable with just enough grip... and the Ti is just plain neat. The scarcity of the VME head makes it hard to sell for me but at the same time I find myself just staring at it on my desk. My problem with it is that the battery tube is too small for 17670 or even 17500 (they slide into the tube but stick out the top about 10mm so I can't screw the head on). I would like to install a killer drop-in but the runtime on 2 IMR 16340 wouldn't be that good (would it?) if it was a bright drop-in. I was wanting to put something special in it, however an Oveready Nichia triple didn't fit. Then I found a Malkoff M30wf and it was damn near a perfect beam, but a bit of a battery hog and I don't want to keep feeding it primaries. I guess it is just frustrating that it is so limited to smaller battery sizes and Malkoff drop-ins. I currently have a Malkoff M61 219LLL in there which is a nifty drop-in, but being a single mode it doesn't go as low or high as I would like. I guess I just wanted to post a couple cool pics and complain about the poor battery options for this, hope you all have a good day :)

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2x123 pak fits a AW17670 - with the silver wrapper off. In order to get the battery out I need to swing the light with the opening cupped into my hand to get the battery to start moving out. I know the black no wrapper batteries are my AW 17670s.

I often run my Haiku head on the 2-pak & 17670.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a beautiful/awesome host and M61LLL 219 is PERFECT for it, imho... Definitely a keeper !!!

Did you try fitting 16650 cell (like KeepPower) ???

Edit:

You could give a try to M361(N)-LMH which would give you needed modes and is optimized for single li-ion use - plus it's from The Man himself so it fits VME like a glove... ;)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
That is a beautiful/awesome host and M61LLL 219 is PERFECT for it, imho... Definitely a keeper !!!

Did you try fitting 16650 cell (like KeepPower) ???
Yes, 16650 is the perfect solution :)

EDIT ... :caution: I am not sure if I understand your post above correctly, but do NOT run the M30 (or related variants) above about 5 volts (!)

And, of course, M31 versions should not be run above about 3.0 V

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see all the Surefire lights in the background. If you don't want to sell it, you can probably trade the light for a bunch of Surefires.

nbp

Flashaholic
Love that light! :bow:

My workday EDC now is a McG Ti 1x123 pak flame ano'd by me with an Alu VME head running an M31 IIRC. Awesome lego components from Done and Gene.

I don't know why they stopped making the Ti VME. Those are gorgeous and I would be over the moon to get one.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys, I was trying to use Eagletac 17650 with the label peeled off. So close. I had not thought of a 16650, might have to take a crack at that! I do happen to have an m361n lying around here too. When I was using the M30, it was with an 16340 and a dummy cell so runtime was not so good. Anyone got the capacity of a 16650 off the top of their head?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had not thought of a 16650, might have to take a crack at that! I do happen to have an m361n lying around here too. When I was using the M30, it was with an 16340 and a dummy cell so runtime was not so good. Anyone got the capacity of a 16650 off the top of their head?

If you have a 4.35V charger, don't think twice - this is the cell for you!

Even if you don't, it will probably still be better than any 17670 - and it will definitely fit better. A review of the old 2000mAh version here.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't know what to do with it I can pm you my mailing address :p

That said, the new Keeppower 4.35v 16650s have 2500mAh capacity, should give you pretty good runtime.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
"In order to get the battery out I need to swing the light with the opening cupped into my hand to get the battery to start moving out."
It sounds like that needs a very slight reaming.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally ordered a couple of the KeepPower cells mentioned by thedoc007, they have yet to arrive and I don't have a 4.35v charger (trying to figure out which one to get). After I ordered those cells I found these too, they seem to be of a higher max voltage http://www.illumn.com/16650-sanyo-ur16650zta-4-35v-3000mah-flat-top.html Anyone try these Sanyo cells or have an oppinion?

Yeah, when I bought the cells I mentioned earlier, they were listed as 4.35 volt cells too. The cells inside are exactly the same as the ones you linked, but you linked one without a protection circuit. As it turns out (caught by another member, and verified by me) the protection circuit did not allow a full charge...it seems to be set at 4.25 volts or so, typical for a 4.2 volt cell. I contacted Illumination Supply about it, and that is why the listing was changed.

Either one should work fine (there is a relatively small capacity loss for the lower charge, but it is well under ten percent.) I think I'd still buy the protected version, given that...they are safer, they are button tops, and the extra length of the protection cell actually makes them fit better as a replacement for 2x16340. If you wanted to use it in a high-drain light, though, the unprotected ones you linked would undoubtedly be better.

I recommend the Xtar VP2 for a 4.35 volt charger (HKJ's review here). Have yet to hear anything bad about it, and it gives you lots of options. Three current settings (.25, .5, and one amp), support for LiFePO4, 3.6, and 3.8 (4.35) volt cells, and a nice digital display.

Last edited:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Which charger do you prefer to get to 4.35v doc? I might try some 4.35v cells at a later date. I have an older rc car hobby charger I will probably use but I like the convenience of the 2 or 4 bay chargers.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally ordered a couple of the KeepPower cells mentioned by thedoc007, they have yet to arrive and I don't have a 4.35v charger (trying to figure out which one to get). After I ordered those cells I found these too, they seem to be of a higher max voltage http://www.illumn.com/16650-sanyo-ur16650zta-4-35v-3000mah-flat-top.html Anyone try these Sanyo cells or have an oppinion?

EDIT: Too slow... doc beat me to it... :)

Also, +1 on Xtar VP2... have one and love it, my main charger right now...

Same cell... KeepPower re-wraps them and add protection circuit... But since it has 4.2V pc, I'm confused now, probably intended to charge on 4.2V charger instead of 4.35V... shouldn't be a huge difference in capacity - unprotected would be able to withhold voltage drop longer but not noticeable in brightness to bare eyes... You'll be fine with KeepPowers...

P.S.
I really like that 2nd from the right E2E in the background... :)

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which charger do you prefer to get to 4.35v doc? I might try some 4.35v cells at a later date. I have an older rc car hobby charger I will probably use but I like the convenience of the 2 or 4 bay chargers.

See the post above yours. I was editing to add my charger recommendation when you posted. ;)