Surefire L1 - The perfect nightlight?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my Surefire L1 as a night light for a couple of weeks now and I simply love it! What makes it stand out is its ability for 2 level light output. This feature really makes it stand out from the crowd. Without it, the L1 will just be another 1 watt in the sea of 1 watters out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I find that the low level is dim enough not to hurt my eyes when I use it to search for something in the middle of the night, and the high level is there when I need more light. Even the switching mechanism is well though: Depress a bit and low light comes on; depress more and more light kicks in. This feature is really neat as it ensures that the high level won't be activated accidently in the dark, hurting my eyes and killing off my night vision. Switching between high and low light output involves only changing the pressure in my thumb, easy enough to perform under any circumstances. All these features make the L1 a truly outstanding night light! Before this, I've tried other lights, and nothing comes close to the L1 as a night light (yet). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
I definatly like the L1 as well, especially for navigating the house at night. I think the low level is perfect for indoor use when your eyes are dark adjusted, It's also nice to know you have the extended run time if needed in an emergency.

llvo

Enlightened
I concur.
My L1 is bright and white comparing to the two KL1 I have.
And its two stage brightness is very handy and useful.

It is my primary hiking light.
(my L1 is HA3 black - white LED)

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I was looking at an L1 for the two stage lighting, but its bright beam doesn't strike me as bright enough. So, I use my A2 instead.

What I would really like to see - and I agree that this two stage lighting of the L1 is great - is the same feature on an L4!

j

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really love my L1 and I now like it even more after CM put a whiter and brighter HD in it. It is now pure white and has a lot of throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't have an L1 but the McLux TK is great for walking around the house at night. It runs at a full 1 watt but the McFlood reflector means the beam intensity is low enough for comfortable viewing, while the beam itself is wide enough that you can see everything in front of you.

Ardent

Newly Enlightened
Of all the entertaining lights I own, I have to admit the one I use the most is a Palight, it resides bedside. To me, it is the ideal nightime light. When my eyes are fully dark adjusted, such as getting up in the middle of the night, I can navigate by the lights "always on" output alone. If I want a little more I can get it (my model has seven or so gradations above always on). On the nightstand, I place its lens against something, to block some of its light output. Still it is easy to find because some light escapes. I have a few other lights sitting with it, a syclone, arc aaa, infinity, a E2 w/ KL1, McLux, and an Arc LSL. But in the middle of the night the Palight is my first choice. If I want more horsepower, I'll grab the aaa, McLux, or LSL. If I want a yellow led output I can stand on its tail, I grab the syclone.

my 2 cents

Regards & happy new year!

Arden

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Just curious, what color did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the white color LED version. Its now the light I use most often when I wake up in the night.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the L1, for its form factor, dual stage brightness, design and look. At time, is one of my permanent EDC.
I do not like the beam color, it is the typical SureFire purple. Also, I do not like the fact that the low intensity beam is not regulated, so when you use the L1, let's say, for 30 minutes on high beam, it is no longer capable of lighting in low beam until the battery recover some voltage.
I have been using the L1 exclusively on low beam for about two monts, as nighttime light, until the Arc AA arrived.

Anthony

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I must agree that the L1 is good for those late night trips around the house. I leave mine on the headboard. I just have to remember to twist the tailcap to the low setting before retiring. Failure to do so can cause rude suprises /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel