Ah! A bright point in WWW news ...

Empath

Flashaholic
Good thing Mr. Gore invented something to put the web on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
I can't believe this fruitcake is trying to steal Gore's thunder. Just who does he think he is??

budlight

Newly Enlightened
It kills me how Gore and the nimrods of technology love to take credit for something that happened WAY before they even knew it existed. I was on the internet back when it was a Unix only system in 1986 which is years before these other prima donnas came around. And I'm not sure how long before that when it actually came into being.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh my heck it's a neXt box:

neXt.jpg

Tomas

Banned
heheheh ... Right, Saaby! One of the very first desktop UNIX boxes, and the absolute first with a Graphical User Interface.

I wanted on of those things a whole lot when Steve Jobs and company came out with them. Cost too much though. I ended up just keeping my old 1984 UNIX machine (command line only).

What amazed me was what those neXt boxes could do with video. I wasn't surprised when Steve came up with Pixar and the stacked UNIX boxes there.

Budlight, it was about 1969 when DARPA came out with the first network while researching survivable communications (atomic attack survival). That network turned into ARPAnet in about '71 or '72 IIRC. I didn't get onto ARPAnet until 03JUN82 from my terminal at Bell Labs, and I didn't put a personal machine on the 'net until '84.

It's still listed in the old archives as either 'boris' or 'tijil' (renamed when there was a naming conflict with another machine on the 'net). It was both an e-mail and USENET node and I had a couple dozen friends as users of my machine (remote login via it's 4 Hayes modems). It was an exciting time!

Hard to believe I've been "on-line" for over twenty years.

(And when we were discussing Tim's ideas back in the early '90's I thought they were a bunch of crap - they'd never fly and take too much bandwidth to ever be practical. Guess I was wrong, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif